Re: Computer crashing problem, need the best computer shop

Post by nemo »

a little dust can cause the cpu to overheat
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

It's a bit finnicky but not that difficult with most laptops once you learn how, and there are plenty of tutes online these days, just Google your model. Blow it out with a compressed air can, one finger on the fans to stop them from spinning the wrong way. I like to get the little brush from my clippers set and gently dislodge any encrusted dust as well, and I use that and some microfiber cloth if I can't find any compressed air. Reseating is usually similarly not that hard. Reseat the SSD and the RAM too for good measure if it's not baked into the mobo. Should be done once a year, the cleaning at least (sometimes twice a year in a dusty place like Cambo!). If that doesn't improve things, there's a problem with one of the parts.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:55 pm
Marty wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:48 pm I think you're on the right track with a connection problem. Intermittent. Aggravating. But why not DIY? And beyond using Linux Live, fully install it. Windoze is pure unadulterated crap. Linux Mint 20. All ya need to know.....
Why not DIY? You mean why don't I fix it myself? I could do that but it seems to me that laptop casings are complicated and even getting inside the computer is tricky. Then I would have to know where the SATA wire is and which one to buy to replace it.

I was also reading an article that mentions a SATA controller, so it could be that as well.

Re Linux, I do have Linux Ubuntu installed on some other computers. I guess Linux Mint 20 is another distribution?
You're getting good suggestions from others on here also. Yes watch a few videos on your machine and try a fix yourself. And it's most likely that the SSD plugs right into the main board, so there aren't any wires to mess with.

Yes Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, and to me it is a better look and feel than Ubuntu. If you like Ubuntu, you'll probably like Mint. Hope this helps. Update please when you find out the cause.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

When Windows has a BSOD it creates a dump file that will tell you the cause of the BSOD.

You can download a single executable file called Bluescreenview.exe which can read the dump file and tell you what went wrong.
Even if you not sure what the output of bluescreenview is telling you, you can at least Google search the error message.
E.G. "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

Get bluescreenview.exe from here https://www.filehorse.com/download-bluescreenview-64/

or here https://bluescreenview.en.softonic.com/
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:20 pm When Windows has a BSOD it creates a dump file that will tell you the cause of the BSOD.

You can download a single executable file called Bluescreenview.exe which can read the dump file and tell you what went wrong.
Even if you not sure what the output of bluescreenview is telling you, you can at least Google search the error message.
E.G. "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

Get bluescreenview.exe from here https://www.filehorse.com/download-bluescreenview-64/

or here https://bluescreenview.en.softonic.com/
Hi, thanks, I was just checking for the crash dump files earlier today. I also just downloaded the small software you mentioned. It only shows three crash dump files, although the computer has probably crashed more than 100 times since I reinstalled Windows.

This also possibly points to the problem I mentioned, which is if the computer is shutting down due to a connection to the hard drive, it wouldn't have any memory to save the crash dump file to.

Also the BSOD is displaying only for a brief moment, and then it's gone. The only way for me to see what the error message is, is to take a video when I know it's happening and then freeze the frame to read the error message.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^^ It's normal for BSOD to be on the screen for only a second, that's why you need to check the dump file.

When you run bluescreenview, check the dates in either the first or second column in the top pane. If it's recent, then it's relevant.

The next relevant bits that you are looking for are in the third column in the top pane. See the image below, where it says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_L...".
You can google that to look for clues, but better to check the next bit below.

In the pane at the bottom, the first column tells you the name of the driver that has a problem. That's on the lines that are highlighted pink.
Google those drivers to confirm your suspicions.

Example. Google this: "ntoskrnl.exe bsod windows 10".

In the search results, don't download any fix-all software that they are touting. Any results from BleepingComputer.com should be good.

daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

bossho wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:38 am Dude, what version of Winda s you running? The BSOD is so BITGOD. There is a true geek in all the shops but this one Nerd I know of is especially binary. That shop is around Russian Market, it's called Quick Fix on st 155 across from Carl's Junior bragg, near Toul Tom Pung Market, Phnom Penh, 12311. I like Dara computer on St 19 across from where Norton University was, cross st. 108? Although you sound as sharp as they do. The dude at quick fix is lanky and chinese looking with tats and he's like 15 and he's the owner don't bother with anyone else there and I don't trust him btw but he s good and will deliver. Maybe I'm being unfair to say I don't trust but he's just a little too smart and what I particularly like is that he's always so slammed he can't stop to grab a snack or a coffee so when I provide those items and offer double rate he'll take my machine apart in 45 seconds and tell me what a smart man would do next after tolerating my foolish to him narrative regarding the malady of my machine. Do tell the culprit please when done. Oh, don't piss the Geeks off, they are the ones who know how the f this kind of stuff happens and they hold our data in their puny hands.
That sounds funny about the guy in Toul Tompong, although if you don't trust him I don't know if I would either!

When you say Dara computer I think you actually mean Davy Computer, it's on Street 19 near the Old Market.

I'll let you know when I figure out what is wrong with it!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:42 am ^^^^ It's normal for BSOD to be on the screen for only a second, that's why you need to check the dump file.

When you run bluescreenview, check the dates in either the first or second column in the top pane. If it's recent, then it's relevant.

The next relevant bits that you are looking for are in the third column in the top pane. See the image below, where it says "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_L...".
You can google that to look for clues, but better to check the next bit below.

In the pane at the bottom, the first column tells you the name of the driver that has a problem. That's on the lines that are highlighted pink.
Google those drivers to confirm your suspicions.

Example. Google this: "ntoskrnl.exe bsod windows 10".

In the search results, don't download any fix-all software that they are touting. Any results from BleepingComputer.com should be good.

Hi, thanks, the Blue Screen View software only shows three files: February 16, 17 and 21. As mentioned, the computer has probably crashed at least 100 times, just yesterday it may have crashed 6 times while I was working on it.

Why it would not have a crash dump file for each incident I don't know but wonder whether it may be somehow related to the memory not being accessible when it crashes.

Given that the three files are from mid-February, one would wonder whether it is the real problem for the computer, or just perhaps caused by a corrupted file from all the previous crashes. In any case, you guessed right that the pink-highlighted file in all three cases is "ntoskrnl.exe"

One last thing is that I also cannot do Windows Updates, I tried a fix for the error code that I got, and it didn't work.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ergosemper wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:27 am I can recommend Chantra in TTP for everything PC-related, from choice of top notch hardware to quality of repair work and their professionalism. They custom built a high end gaming computer for my friend.

I use a Pixelbook Go Chromebook for peace of mind.
I wouldn't use Chantra for repairs, they used to be good but got lazy and now will refuse to back up any files on the desktop.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

That sounds funny about the guy in Toul Tompong, although if you don't trust him I don't know if I would either!

When you say Dara computer I think you actually mean Davy Computer, it's on Street 19 near the Old Market.

I'll let you know when I figure out what is wrong with it!

Yes, I did mean Davy Computer, a nice shop and a easy spot to get to. I just have yet to be a real geek there.
The owner of Quick Fix is trustworthy and sharp, I meant that trust comment in a humorous way. I m interested to hear your thoughts on where you end up going.

cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic