Toddler Dies After a Group of Kids Catch and Eat a Toad

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Toddler Dies After a Group of Kids Catch and Eat a Toad

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Kampong Chhnang Province): A 1-year-old child died and 5 other young children were hospitalized due to poisoning after they caught a toad and and cooked it when their parents were not at home. This incident happened at 4:30 pm on March 3, 2021 in Trapeang Pnov village, Chres commune, Srok district. Kampong Tralach.

According to the local police, the boy who lost his life due to the toad poisoning was named Kit Bora, 18 months old and has a father named Sok Khula and a mother named An Sarin. The other 5 child victims are: 1-Trong Veasna, 5 years old, 2-Khut Piseth, 7 years old , 3-Komaravi Sopharith, 7 years old, 4-Sol Mina, 8 years old and 5-Khit Pov, 4 years old . All young children live in the above-mentioned village-commune.

The source said that before the incident, it was more than 10 am and all the kids' parents were working in the factory. The grandparents, who were supposed to be looking after the kids, went to the pagoda and while they were away, the children went to the fields and caught the toad, cooked it and ate it at once.

The same source said that it was not until a little later in the afternoon that the grandmother returned from the pagoda and saw her grandson was poisoned and she took to Kampong Tralach District Health Center for treatment. However, due to the seriousness of the condition, the boy Khit Bora lost his life.

According to the Chres commune administrative post chief, if this sort of poisoning occurs, then the patient must be immediately taken to the doctor for treatment.
RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Toddler Dies After a Group of Kids Catch and Eat a Toad

Post by siliconlife »

I sure hope the grandparents copped a lot of merit, at the temple, jeez. One of the things that annoys me how some believe that small children can look after smaller children. RIP little one
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 pm I sure hope the grandparents copped a lot of merit, at the temple, jeez. One of the things that annoys me how some believe that small children can look after smaller children. RIP little one
Yes. Terrible that the 7 or 8 year old kids were left to look after the baby.

Otherwise, can't blame the kids, this is a story of kids doing what kids do. But if there had been just one responsible adult around to say "Don't eat that toad", then this would not have happened. Damn.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The kids must have been starving? The oldest one seems to have been eight years old and may not have known toads were toxic, but I'd imagine they did know but just decided to chance it. Tragic.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Yeah, if there's any food or prospect of food I doubt the kids are going foraging in a rice paddy for something to kill and cook.

Very sad situation
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:06 pm Yeah, if there's any food or prospect of food I doubt the kids are going foraging in a rice paddy for something to kill and cook.
Dunno about that, although it may have been the case here. Cambodians love going off to find stuff to kill and eat. Do it with my wife, nieces and nephews every time I go to the village, and not for lack of food. There's tons of Khmer YouTubers, often kids, who film themselves doing just that as well, often quite ingeniously. It's just life in the village, it's fun to hunt.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic