How long to process work permit?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

How long to process work permit?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello,

If I try to get a work permit, how long will it take to process it? Is the work permit in the passport or linked to the passport in any way?

Will the length of time it takes be any different if I do it through an agent or do it myself at the Ministry of Labor?

Thanks for your replies...
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How long to process work permit?

Post by xandreu »

As with many things in the KOW there isn't one single answer. It depends how you get it done. You can do it yourself through the website, do it through an agent, do it through a friend of a friend who knows someone, or do it through your employer. How you do it will also depend on what you need - some require a medical certificate, others will forgo this for a small additional charge, some will ask for a letter from your employer, others don't. Some will take several weeks, others will do it in about a week. Sorry if that's not the answer you want. Welcome to Cambodia.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

xandreu wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:44 pm As with many things in the KOW there isn't one single answer. It depends how you get it done. You can do it yourself through the website, do it through an agent, do it through a friend of a friend who knows someone, or do it through your employer. How you do it will also depend on what you need - some require a medical certificate, others will forgo this for a small additional charge, some will ask for a letter from your employer, others don't. Some will take several weeks, others will do it in about a week. Sorry if that's not the answer you want. Welcome to Cambodia.
OK, thanks. I should have mentioned that I am looking for the "freelance" work permit. I went to one agent who said that it will take two weeks, and basically since my visa is up for renewal in less than two weeks, the window has already closed for this month.

If I do it myself through the website, how long will that take? I believe I need the work permit if I want to get an EB EOS, right?

Thanks for your response.
Typhoon28
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Typhoon28 »

I did mine through the website, it took them 3 weeks to approve. You'll need your EOS before you get your work permit if it doesn't have much time left.

Sent from my LLD-L21 using Tapatalk

daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Typhoon28 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 am I did mine through the website, it took them 3 weeks to approve. You'll need your EOS before you get your work permit if it doesn't have much time left.

Sent from my LLD-L21 using Tapatalk
Thanks that's good information. Thank you. I'm currently on an EG visa, but I need the work permit before I can convert to EB right? I mean that immigration won't give me an EB unless I have a work permit. So first I would have to extend my EG and then apply for the work permit- as in your case online. Does that sound right?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:09 pm Thanks that's good information. Thank you. I'm currently on an EG visa, but I need the work permit before I can convert to EB right? I mean that immigration won't give me an EB unless I have a work permit. So first I would have to extend my EG and then apply for the work permit- as in your case online. Does that sound right?
Work Permit is not required as supporting documentation if applying for a 6 or 12 month EB EOS via a Visa agent, you only need an official letter of employment and copy of employers company tax patent, both need the official company stamp, and a screenshot from the FPCS showing your details.

If you don't have those documents because you're not employed, then you will need to shop around to find a dodgy agent.

WP applications either directly via the MoLVT or the website, are currently taking anywhere from 3 days to 4 weeks based on recent reports.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:22 pm
Work Permit is not required as supporting documentation if applying for a 6 or 12 month EB EOS via a Visa agent, you only need an official letter of employment and copy of employers company tax patent, both need the official company stamp, and a screenshot from the FPCS showing your details.

If you don't have those documents because you're not employed, then you will need to shop around to find a dodgy agent.

WP applications either directly via the MoLVT or the website, are currently taking anywhere from 3 days to 4 weeks based on recent reports.

Thanks PSD-Kiwi,

In my case, I actually need a work permit and not necessarily a EB visa. Is it possible to get a work permit without the EB visa?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@daeum_tnaot If you are working then you do need an EB (Business) EOS...what makes you say you need a WP but not an EB EOS? That doesn't make sense why you would need one without the other :no:
Tola Kann
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Tola Kann »

Sounded like u a new to Cambodia. So let start thing simpler first. Get an agent to do it for... When u learn more about it, u can do it by urself.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:31 pm @daeum_tnaot If you are working then you do need an EB (Business) EOS...what makes you say you need a WP but not an EB EOS? That doesn't make sense why you would need one without the other :no:
Yeah that is strange. The reason is that an Embassy requires me to have a work permit in order to apply for a visa. Silly requirement, but causing me a lot of inconvenience.

Regarding EG vs EB they probably don't know anything about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic