How long to process work permit?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: How long to process work permit?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

So you need a WP from Cambodia to apply for a Visa in another country? Odd.

You can still apply for a WP on an EG EOS. The self employed WP application is very simple, just do it online, and if you run into any issues then just go directly to the MoLVT...no need to use an agent.

However, you will only be able to get a 1 month EG EOS for your next extension, on a month by month basis. If you are planning on being here for several months then it would be worth getting an EB EOS if you can.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Yeah, this is annoying, they won't process my visa unless I have a work permit in Cambodia. Otherwise I have to send my passport to my home country, which is very time consuming.

If I get the self-employed WP, how long do you think it will take? I heard they will ask me to pay for some kind of tax for the year 2020?
Typhoon28
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Typhoon28 »

daeum_tnaot wrote:Yeah, this is annoying, they won't process my visa unless I have a work permit in Cambodia. Otherwise I have to send my passport to my home country, which is very time consuming.

If I get the self-employed WP, how long do you think it will take? I heard they will ask me to pay for some kind of tax for the year 2020?
As said before, I doubt you'll be granted a work permit without a valid EOS. If you apply online it could take up to 3 weeks or could be quicker. Login to find out what you need or go to an agent, who will see you right.

Sent from my LLD-L21 using Tapatalk

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:22 pm I heard they will ask me to pay for some kind of tax for the year 2020?
Not a tax...you will be charged a retroactive fee of $100 for any years you were in Cambodia on an E-type Visa or any category of E-type Visa EOS without a WP.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Thanks both for the responses. I don’t think this is the right route to go...
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

Try the retirement route. If you have the right paperwork (confirmation of retirement benefits or evidence of pension). That could work.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Typhoon28 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 am I did mine through the website, it took them 3 weeks to approve. You'll need your EOS before you get your work permit if it doesn't have much time left.

Sent from my LLD-L21 using Tapatalk
Nice, thanks for info. Was website application fairly painless? What is an EOS?
:thumb:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Website application is very simple.

EOS is a Visa Extension of Stay ie. EB (Business) EOS, ER (Retirement) EOS, EG (General) EOS, etc.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:18 am Website application is very simple.

EOS is a Visa Extension of Stay ie. EB (Business) EOS, ER (Retirement) EOS, EG (General) EOS, etc.
Ah thanks, sorry I had a brain block.
:thumb:
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

ergosemper wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:40 pm Try the retirement route. If you have the right paperwork (confirmation of retirement benefits or evidence of pension). That could work.
Yeah actually I just needed a work permit. But it takes too long so it wasn’t worth it.

Retirement visa may be nice in the future!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic