Does anyone know where we can get one of the Covid vaccines in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Does anyone know where we can get one of the Covid vaccines in Cambodia?

Post by Ricky Dunn »

My apartment managers arranged it and about 40 ex-pats went over to a local school and got priority service, about 30 minutes wait with hundreds of Cambodians waiting hours, now I have a little card saying I got one vaccine shot and second one coming up shortly.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:50 am 500K doses of Sinovac vaccine purchased from China & 500K doses of Sinopharm vaccine donated by China arrived in Cambodia this morning. Cambodia is expected to receive 1 million doses of Sinopharm on 12 June & 1 million doses of Sinovac vaccine on 19 June which were purchased from China. (source Noan Sereiboth, Twitter)

Interesting to see they are getting more Sinpoharm in. I was getting the impression it was all down to Sinovac now. But probably because the -pharm is free.
Likely Sinopharm because several countries have reported outbreaks after vaccinating a large percentage of their population with Sinopharm and a few have simply cancelled the rest of their order. The problem with both vaccines is that the raw data from the studies have never been published and their is no ongoing tracking of potential side effects nor long term effects. If you have to get a Chinese vaccine - currently the data suggests Sinovac is the better of the two options.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:40 pm
herd immunity
noun
- resistance to the spread of an infectious disease within a population that is based on pre-existing immunity of a high proportion of individuals as a result of previous infection or vaccination.
- "the level of vaccination needed to achieve herd immunity varies by disease"

Read the numbers of vaccinated in SE Asia, Africa, Japan..

Why?

I am not putting anyone in peril or myself.

Yes you are.
I do think it's fair to remember that none of us on here, including you, are an expert when it comes to vaccines, and especially the new Covid-19 virus. I know you honestly think anyone like Richard and others who won't get a Chinese vaccine and would prefer to wait for a Western Pfizer vaccine are just retarded and/or give zero fucks about anyone else, but there's a lot of us who aren't so quick to just turn on the TV or open or favorite news site and believe everything they say without any skepticism.

I also think that while a lot of people are successfully bullied into taking the vaccine because they don't want to be labeled a moron by some, it's still a bad strategy, and makes some feel even more hesitant to do it. Even the term 'herd immunity' has been changed by the WHO, in an obvious attempt to convince even more people to take it. (I'll just elaborate below.)
Biffsm wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:04 pm
Unfortunately, this crisis has been manipulated, covered up and the experts have changed their tunes over and over.
To put my trust in some chinese vaccine when they cannot make a toaster that works seems crazy.
I couldn't agree more on this part. I do find it astonishing that some people literally believe anything and everything that's mainstream, and completely disregard everything else and a bonkers conspiracy theory akin to thinking the earth is flat.

The WHO gives us a clear example of what's going on if you cared to pay attention. They will tell you anything to push you in the direction they want you, and I just want to show a clear example.

I like Timmy's definition of 'herd immunity,' and so did the WHO, until they changed it to better push their goals of getting everyone vaccinated. We'll use Wayback Machine so that you can fact-check this yourself and not rely on me.

In November of 2020 they had a section called 'What is herd immunity?' and their answer is pretty straightforward:

'Herd immunity is the indirect protection from an infectious disease that happens when a population is immune either through vaccination or immunity developed through previous infection. This means that even people who haven’t been infected, or in whom an infection hasn’t triggered an immune response, they are protected because people around them who are immune can act as buffers between them and an infected person. The threshold for establishing herd immunity for COVID-19 is not yet clear.'

https://web.archive.org/web/20201124094 ... 9-serology

And here's the same page with the same question, but they deleted any reference to achieving 'herd immunity' through infections:

'‘Herd immunity’, also known as ‘population immunity’, is a concept used for vaccination, in which a population can be protected from a certain virus if a threshold of vaccination is reached.

Herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from a virus, not by exposing them to it....'

https://web.archive.org/web/20201124094 ... 9-serology

No mention on that page at all of previous infections helping us get towards herd immunity!

Now going to present time on the same exact WHO page, and it's mentioned again:

''Herd immunity', also known as 'population immunity', is the indirect protection from an infectious disease that happens when a population is immune either through vaccination or immunity developed through previous infection. WHO supports achieving 'herd immunity' through vaccination, not by allowing a disease to spread through any segment of the population, as this would result in unnecessary cases and deaths.

Herd immunity against COVID-19 should be achieved by protecting people through vaccination, not by exposing them to the pathogen that causes the disease.'

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detai ... 9-serology

They've gone full circle, and that's just what they post publicly for everyone to see, so forgive those who are a bit leery about what might really be going on. You need to be riding a boomerang to 'follow the science' in real-time.

Just remember the social media giants were literally banning people, including doctors, scientists, for saying that the virus may have escaped from the Wuhan Laboratory, and now it's freely being discussed as a real possibility everywhere. So when you have people like Richard who want to take the vaccine but would prefer to wait for one other than a Chinese version, please consider the fact that none of us know all the facts (at least not yet) and shouldn't write them off as inconsiderate nutters who look forward to killing your grandma.

And yes, I'm for people getting vaccinated. :thumb:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Biffsm wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:04 pm I guess I grew up when people survived or died.
Christ, how old are you?
Before the polio vaccine push (1950s)
How about smallpox (1900s at the latest)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doing Riverside now. If you need details, I'll get on the case. Sinovac
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:44 pm Doing Riverside now. If you need details, I'll get on the case. Sinovac
Yes, see if there's a place for me, that's what one of the neighbours said to me "you need to go over the other side", let them know I got the f--k off nod on the other river bank, and only been living in the community for nearly 3 years.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Well I'm sure you'll all be relieved to know I got my first shot (Sinovac) today. I had trouble finding out who my Phum Head was, because apparently they have just got a new one and none of my neighbours knew who it was. Anyway I managed to get his phone number from the Sangkat and asked my English speaking neighbour to give him a call. I met him at the Sangkat 10 minutes later with my passport in hand and he filled out the forms and sent me straight up to Norodom School. Got a number but there were over 150 people ahead of me so I went home for a bit and went back. First room a quick consultation to vet whether they will give you the shot or not, second room they make up your plastic card, third room get the shot, and then 10 minutes sitting outside to make sure you don't have any adverse effects. I had a sore arm and a bit of nausea but pretty much fine. Phone reception seems the same but maybe I need the second shot to fix that.

TL:DR: if you want the shot, seek out your Village/Phum Head.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I asked my landlord for assistance in getting the required sangkat forms for Mrs Cargo and I. I was reluctant to go there ourselves coz a few years ago we got a very frosty reception when I sought a residency paper.

Anyway. we went there yesterday (he told me to stay in the car) and he went with my GF with my passport and her ID card and arranged it all. Took 15-20 mins. Then today he called me to say we can go and pick up the forms. They took our thumb print and told us to go tomorrow at the Chaktomok secondary school at 7am. So, here's hoping the queue is not long..
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:49 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:44 pm Doing Riverside now. If you need details, I'll get on the case. Sinovac
Yes, see if there's a place for me, that's what one of the neighbours said to me "you need to go over the other side", let them know I got the f--k off nod on the other river bank, and only been living in the community for nearly 3 years.
Im going to see them tonight. I know they are gonna ask for money, just for organising it for me, so if we are being privileged, fair enough, however, I heard they were calling on foreigners now.
Noone else has mentioned money recently, so should be free. Village Phum? Who the, what the? I live in hotels. I'll check reception to see if we have a hotel Phum Head. Got a Head Waiter. After the food waiter gives you food, and the wine waiter gives you wine, he comes along.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

I am going tomorrow morning. The organiser called me today and passed me to a chap that had just been jabbed; about an hour (I plan to arrive before they start), straight forward, bring passport, free. I was on speaker, and the phone was commandeered as soon as he quoted the cost, and she mentioned something about paying for a photo today, so they better have the spiel rehearsed if they plan to make money on the side - which I would have given, and will be giving, them anyway for their trouble. Others have said they paid nada, but they registered with their chief. "Of course you did, crazy horse not to" We have a Chef at my joint, but he's Swedish, and they don't believe in Covid. Anyway, I will find out the cost, if any, today, and let you know, AndyKK (I refrained, too easy). Standby.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic