How can I get a SIM card in quarantine?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chrisjones
Expatriate

How can I get a SIM card in quarantine?

Post by chrisjones »

I REALLY need to make some calls today. I arrived a week ago and bought a SIM card from the bus driver to hotel for $5. It’s expired. It can’t be topped up. I was in Cambodia all of ten minutes before getting scammed.

Hotel staff says they won’t get me a SIM card. No deliveries are allowed here. What can I do to get a SIM card?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How can I get a SIM card in quarantine?

Post by Kammekor »

chrisjones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:31 am I REALLY need to make some calls today. I arrived a week ago and bought a SIM card from the bus driver to hotel for $5. It’s expired. It can’t be topped up. I was in Cambodia all of ten minutes before getting scammed.

Hotel staff says they won’t get me a SIM card. No deliveries are allowed here. What can I do to get a SIM card?
Nothing. Use the Wifi in your quarantine place to call with skype, viber or whatever.

Are you 100% sure the sim expired?
chrisjones
Expatriate

Post by chrisjones »

Yes I am sure. I have a $1top up card but it won’t top up and I chatted with Metphone and they say it’s deactivated and I have to go in person to their office.

I have to call my family and they don’t use Skype.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

chrisjones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:40 am Yes I am sure. I have a $1top up card but it won’t top up and I chatted with Metphone and they say it’s deactivated and I have to go in person to their office.

Maybe e-mail them? You can voice call with Skype too if you buy credit.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

chrisjones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:40 am Yes I am sure. I have a $1top up card but it won’t top up and I chatted with Metphone and they say it’s deactivated and I have to go in person to their office.

when you move overseas not everything works like back home as your finding out, facebook messenger, skype, whatsapp, email people use to communicate with those back home, all this should be sorted before you left. Plan and have a backup plan, good thing is once out of quarantine you can throw back lots of 50c beers
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

If you have the Wing app, you can order online. Have it delivered to reception.

Alternatively, if you have an iPhone, you can buy and download a cheap eSIM on the Airalo app

https://www.airalo.com/

Or you can ask someone to buy an eSIM at Cellcard and send you a picture of the QR. You can then install the eSIM on your phone.

Edit... I see. If absolutely no deliveries allowed but if you have an iPhone, you can ask someone to buy an eSIM, then send you a picture of the QR which you can then use to install on your phone.
chrisjones
Expatriate

Post by chrisjones »

I have never heard of an esim. How does it work? The phone can make and receive calls with no physical sim installed? Can I buy it myself online? Or do I need someone else to buy it?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Where are you? I'm on the case. I could also try topping up your sim via my wing account but the funds will probably go out of my account and not onto your card.
Hotel?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

chrisjones wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:13 am I have never heard of an esim. How does it work? The phone can make and receive calls with no physical sim installed? Can I buy it myself online? Or do I need someone else to buy it?
Yep.. it's a normal sim in e-format. Works on Google Pixel phones and iPhones

https://cellulardata.ubigi.com/help-cen ... -esim-ios/

You can call and receive calls, send and receive text/SMS messages, subscribe to data packages just like any other regular sim card. I'm using so I know what I'm talking about. As you can see, I have 5 sims on my phone. Only 1 is a physical sim. The rest are of course eSIMs.

chrisjones
Expatriate

Post by chrisjones »

From the website it doesn’t look like a normal sim at all. It says you don’t even get a phone number. It’s data only. I have internet access at the hotel, a data only sim does not help me one bit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic