What precautions should I take against the lockdown of my apartment building?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: What precautions should I take against the lockdown of my apartment building?

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I recommend moving from guest house to hotel to guest house every day. Always keep a pack out back ready with passport, cash, credit card, ammunition, condoms. Scan the news regularly - "like" Khmer news outlets on Facebook and at the slightest hint of Covid at your latest guest house, be ready to climb down the fire escape.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What precautions should I take against the lockdown of my apartment building?

Post by AndyKK »

chrisjones wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:41 pm I just arrived from Thailand where they do NOT lock down apartment buildings just because a resident gets COVID.

I will be moving into a large apartment building in about a week.

What precautions do you guys take to prevent being locked in or locked out totally unprepared?

If I go to work and someone in my building is found to be positive am I going to be locked out of my home for two weeks? If I’m asleep and a neighbor tests positive will I be locked in for two weeks and unable to go to work??

Should I take cash and clothes and ATM cards and medications every time I leave the apartment in case I can’t get back in? Should I keep two weeks of food and medicine in the house at all times in case I’m locked in? This is very stressful.
Has it goes, only your own prevention and precautions are available for yourself, such has following the rules of covid19, hand washing regular, wearing a mask and social distancing, good self judgment on the area and apartment block you intend to move into. Although looking at the covid19 hotspots and closed buildings, most are in and around the city centre, less being in the suburbs and out of the city. But I suppose that ideally you would possibly want to be nearby your new workplace. If I am not mistaken you said you have your new job has a school teacher. If that is the case I would not worry about getting the sack from the new position because has far as I am aware the situation, the schools are shut down too, for now. Good luck to you, and welcome to Cambodia.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

chrisjones wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:54 pm Foreign teachers have no rights.
and few accept any responsibilities.

You are not very polite Chirs.
You might start you Cambodian responsibilities right there or you will find yourself with even fewer "rights".

Good luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

chrisjones wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:54 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:42 pm
chrisjones wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:31 pm If that happens and I’m locked in for two weeks I’ll surely be fired from the job I’m just starting.
Fairly certain that employers cannot terminate employment of those forced into mandatory quarantine by government authorities.
They would fire me for missing work. What could I do, sue them? I heard schools do whatever they want in Cambodia. Foreign teachers have no rights.
Schools in PP are closed until further notice. Personally, I'd be more concerned about that than a hypothetical Covid lockdown of your apartment.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/228073
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Dude seems a bit precious, wouldn't bet on him lasting long. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:06 am Dude seems a bit precious, wouldn't bet on him lasting long. 8-)
Quarantine blues ?
:BangHead:
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Best precaution would have been not moving to Cambodia during a pandemic - if you are worried about losing your job through lockdown.

As it happens, your only course of action now would be to seek another job if you lose your new job.

Getting locked out of where you live due to lockdown is a tough one. Have a bag of items at your place of work.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

Buy some bottles of water.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Any school principal that sacks a new teacher because they couldn't attend school due to events out of their control (ie their building is locked down due to Covid) is a mug in my view.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic