Study claims you will spend $389,000 for 14 years of retirement in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Study claims you will spend $389,000 for 14 years of retirement in Cambodia

Post by Josh_76 »

The link wasn't reachable when I tried. https://www.netcredit.com/blog/cost-com ... und-world/

The amount was based on paying for the next 14 years for:

- going out once a week
- takeout coffee once a week
- no smoking
- moderate drinking
- no taxis or rideshares
- eating mainly Western food at home
- two vacations per year
- renting a 1 bed apartment in the city centre, plus a few other factors.

Why 14 years? They took the average US retiring age of 64 and added the years up to the average life expectancy of 78.

I could see this, if you're paying almost $600+ - $1,000 now already for rent but who does that as a retiree?

This is almost as much as the figure for Thailand and more than Malaysia, the Phils & Viet Nam. Maybe this kind of calculation is correct for other countries but it isn't for Cambodia.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Study claims you will spend $389,000 for 14 years of retirement in Cambodia

Post by nerdlinger »

I've never seen a "cheapest/most expensive country" type study that wasn't flawed in some way.

The biggest issue with most of them is they try to make "apples to apples" comparisons across the board in order to appear objective and impartial. This doesn't work because only a total buffoon would go to a distant land and attempt to exactly replicate their western lifestyle, without taking advantage of what's cheap locally and cutting down on what's expensive.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I think its pretty accurate figure as an "average". Variation may be high as you will find many who will spend less...but also many who can afford/spend more.
work is for people who cant find truffles
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Garbage.
Meaningless garbage.
Meaningless garbage and wrong.
Stupid meaningless garbage and wrong.
Stupid meaningless garbage and wrong - for idiots
F***ing stu.....
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Kh - 70% Au
Kh - 70% Jap

Like Nerd said - comparing apples
like i said - for idiots
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Seems a bit odd, with assumptions about eating Western food at home, and going out once a week. Also it must be location specific to Phnom Penh?
- Modern / Western style one bedroom apartment Siem Reap average $300 to $350 a month inc power
- Going out - various happy hours and average beer price $0.75c - at least 4 times per week
- Dining out in local restaurants - average meal cost $3.50
- Eating at home - fresh fruit and veges from market $10 a week, meat (Aussie beef, lamb) $15 per week
- Vacations? Bus trips to PP / Kampot plus accom, average $500 for a week, twice a year
- Small motorbike, usually runs on 2 litres a week around town, $2 a week, 6 monthly service $40
Living a simple life as a retiree, spending around $1,000 a month, and putting some aside for visa renewal, medical events etc, say $1200 a month all up, ends up as just over $200,000 for 14 years. I have mates who live on less, and some who live on a lot more. A Khmer GF in the equation will bump it up but that is a luxury to some, a necessity to others. We can live as a Champagne Charlie or a Cheap Charlie, and that is why this country is a great choice for retirees on a pension. Suits me, anyhow.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

I already spent a quarter of that for the citizenship brouhaha alone.

That line about being alive for just 14 short years is depressing
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

$389,000 /14 = 27,785 / 12 = $2315 per month.

Sounds about right...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

lagrange wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:53 am Seems a bit odd, with assumptions about eating Western food at home, and going out once a week. Also it must be location specific to Phnom Penh?
- Modern / Western style one bedroom apartment Siem Reap average $300 to $350 a month inc power
- Going out - various happy hours and average beer price $0.75c - at least 4 times per week
- Dining out in local restaurants - average meal cost $3.50
- Eating at home - fresh fruit and veges from market $10 a week, meat (Aussie beef, lamb) $15 per week
- Vacations? Bus trips to PP / Kampot plus accom, average $500 for a week, twice a year
- Small motorbike, usually runs on 2 litres a week around town, $2 a week, 6 monthly service $40
Living a simple life as a retiree, spending around $1,000 a month, and putting some aside for visa renewal, medical events etc, say $1200 a month all up, ends up as just over $200,000 for 14 years. I have mates who live on less, and some who live on a lot more. A Khmer GF in the equation will bump it up but that is a luxury to some, a necessity to others. We can live as a Champagne Charlie or a Cheap Charlie, and that is why this country is a great choice for retirees on a pension. Suits me, anyhow.
Self insured I assume? :stir:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:21 am $389,000 /14 = 27,785 / 12 = $2315 per month.

Sounds about right...
Think so.

Remember the prices 14 years ago? Now try and project that into the future.... While their estimate is a bit on the high side it's not totally unrealistic. Assuming you can live pleasantly in Cambodia for the next 14 years on 1.000 USD a month is.

One example. In 2010 I could buy a brand new Honda Dream at the Honda dealer for 1.400 USD. I sells for 2.350 USD now if I recall well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic