Study claims you will spend $389,000 for 14 years of retirement in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Re: Study claims you will spend $389,000 for 14 years of retirement in Cambodia

Post by theKid »

I will never understand why someone would WANT to live on such an amount.

And I feel sorry for those whose lives have gotten in so dire straits that they NEED to live on such an amount.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

theKid wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:46 am I will never understand why someone would WANT to live on such an amount.

And I feel sorry for those whose lives have gotten in so dire straits that they NEED to live on such an amount.
Imagine being so vacuous that you need a big budget to be happy ..... simple foods aren’t nutritious enough ..... you need a penthouse apartment instead of a simple Khmer cottage by a river ..... you need a Land Rover instead of a $500 reconditioned Daelim ...... are the only clothes worth wearing festooned with gouache logos .....

If you feel the need to pity someone, perhaps look in the mirror ..... those of us who don’t measure their happiness by material or external holdings don’t really need your understanding .
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:49 am
theKid wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:46 am I will never understand why someone would WANT to live on such an amount.

Imagine being so vacuous that you need a big budget to be happy ..... simple foods aren’t nutritious enough ..... you need a penthouse apartment instead of a simple Khmer cottage by a river ..... you need a Land Rover instead of a $500 reconditioned Daelim ...... are the only clothes worth wearing festooned with gouache logos .....

If you feel the need to pity someone, perhaps look in the mirror ..... those of us who don’t measure their happiness by material or external holdings don’t really need your understanding .
Haha, I bet you the contents of my wallet that most people who need to live on such a budget would much rather live on more. Romanticising a meagre existence after working an entire life isn’t really gonna cut it.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Strawberryshake wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:21 am That’s 2300 USD a month.
$76-$77 a day , I get more than that
... but got 2 kids here and only a measly $10,000 government life insurance .
I should slack off drinking so much and try to make a nest egg 🍳
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I used to be wealthy. I had a large house, 3 cars, and an indecent salary. Now I have a small but adequate house. I can afford to buy a car but do not need one. I can eat whatever I like and can, if I choose, go to expensive restaurants. I do not want or need a smartphone. I have more than adequate funds to do as I please but I do not need to spend much more than $1000 a month. I could spend a lot more without hurting my finances but why would I? Yes some people have barely adequate funds but can still live well here compared to their home countries. Why feel sorry for them? Feel sorry for the poor schmucks who spend 2 hours or more commuting every day working in their crummy offices in London, New York, and Sydney.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

atst wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:15 pm
sigmoid wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:56 pm Live for today, humans.

Be here now.

:goodluck:
That's all good until you wake up tomorrow and find you blew all your money living yesterday, now what?
Living for today doesn't usually result in a decline in intelligence or the onset of mental illness, so it's fairly unlikely that you would suddenly go nuts and spend all of your money in a single day.

On the contrary, by freeing yourself from the game of hope and fear that is the focus of the lowest bio-survival circuit, you can move your conscious vibrations up to the higher circuit of intelligence and make decisions regarding your current finances that are more rational than ever before.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Inflation/tax hike need to be considered:

immagine a Cambodia where beer will cost 2-3 $ in at supermarket level, tobacco 4 $, medical costs will double or triple as standards will be raised, transport will cost much more as fuel will become more costly. Visa fees could be easily doubled or tripled. Foreign income (from pensions) could be taxed. The list is endless..in the long term it is a very likely scenario IMHO.

On the other hand only a handful of items could get cheaper.

Consequently the figures reported seem to be the safe side of things. You CAN live on much less but barely surving is not my choice for the last years of my life.
work is for people who cant find truffles
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

sigmoid wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:21 pm
On the contrary, by freeing yourself from the game of hope and fear that is the focus of the lowest bio-survival circuit, you can move your conscious vibrations up to the higher circuit of intelligence and make decisions regarding your current finances that are more rational than ever before.
what
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

nerdlinger wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:48 pm
what
he forgot to put tobacco into his spliffs..
work is for people who cant find truffles
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

nerdlinger wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:48 pm
what
I think what he's trying to say is, Flermatically speaking, one must maintain all sides to a triangle, unless one, but not limited to, is corrupted and needs to be eliminated, which, by the way, is something highly inadvisable - a world of only two dimensions?
We go through life self-blinded to much that lies before us. We want a simple world, but we live in a complex one, and rather than open ourselves to it, we perceive the world through filters that make it less daunting to a genius, whom demands little to nothing from others, but is often found extremely difficult to have around.
Henceforth, forthworth, notwithstanding.
And change the electric circuit for vibrators.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic