Study claims you will spend $389,000 for 14 years of retirement in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Study claims you will spend $389,000 for 14 years of retirement in Cambodia

Post by atst »

Arget wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:45 pm
General Mackevili wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:32 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:21 am $389,000 /14 = 27,785 / 12 = $2315 per month.

Sounds about right...
I just did that same math, and I'd say MOST retirees could cut that in almost half easily, so I'd say $200,000 is probably fair for most. Stay away from 104/110/130/136 and $200,000 would be more than enough. Stay away from deathpat street 172 and you might accidentally live too long.
Guess I am Fuc#$d. I frequent the streets of shame and I live on death street.

AND I have lasted for half the 14 years so who knows when my name is in CEO lights? :hattip: :hattip: :hattip:
at least your enjoying yourself better than hiding in your apartment carry on die with a smile on your face :beer3:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

It's about right. I spend more than that in a normal month, although I have dependant kids and gf etc.

Allowing for inflation etc that figure could be too little.

Vietnam, otoh, would make that money last far longer.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Wasn’t there an article posted a while back about how a whole generation of formerly wealthy retirees in Thailand are now near destitute as a result of inflation plus the appreciating baht?
david.ens
Tourist
Canada

Post by david.ens »

I have lived nearly fifty years in Southeast Asia. I find US$389K a bit high for 14 years of retirement. I agree with another post that suggested $200K. I think $200K would probably be right for Thailand, too. The cost for food is much less and the medical is much better. Now that I think about it, I think Malaysia would be just a shade cheaper. Cambodia is going to continue to advance, but I fear there will be many more ways to suck the money out of us. Anyone who has been hear twenty years will have to say that times have certainly changed. On the plus side, what other country has pull tabs on a fifty cent beer that frequently win you another beer.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

That’s 2300 USD a month.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

These surveys always show that Vietnam has about the lowest cost of living for retirement. The only problem is, unless you are a US citizen, you cannot get more than a 3 month visa that has to be renewed by leaving the country. Of course a quick border run to KOW can be done in one day, but its a hassle and an expense. I think the retirement EOS is about the best thing Cambo has going for it, putting it above other S E Asian countries in terms of being easy to settle down here.
This article here about Vietnam is from January 2021. If they sorted out a decent long term visa I would be back there like a shot.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Josh_76 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:18 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:46 am
And another thing, if you're on pension it doesn't matter how long you live. If you have a $400k lump sum then Prasac will give you $2200 a month interest (after tax) so there is your monthly spending with capital preserved (although depleted by inflation).
You can make a deposit contract with them for 14 years, really?
Acleda will do 60 months but a MiFi probably not. I believe 36 months is more like it and interest rates are falling in the meantime.

7.25% for USD is the max. at the moment and I project us to be closer to 6.5% in 24 months and plateu out around the 5% - 6.5% rate long-term (would be happy to be wrong here).
Prasac is 60 months too. But if they are still there to pay you back in 5 years, I am sure they will take your money for another 5 years.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

david.ens wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:42 am I have lived nearly fifty years in Southeast Asia. I find US$389K a bit high for 14 years of retirement. I agree with another post that suggested $200K. I think $200K would probably be right for Thailand, too. The cost for food is much less and the medical is much better. Now that I think about it, I think Malaysia would be just a shade cheaper. Cambodia is going to continue to advance, but I fear there will be many more ways to suck the money out of us. Anyone who has been hear twenty years will have to say that times have certainly changed. On the plus side, what other country has pull tabs on a fifty cent beer that frequently win you another beer.
If 200k would suffice for Thailand it wouldn't for Cambodia I think. Apart from the odd beer, whiskey and cigarettes everything else in Cambodia is either more expensive than Thailand, or of lower quality if priced the same.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Amount per year is $27,785. The secret in the survey is the "two holidays a year". Where would an American go for holiday - skiing in Colorado, beaches in Mexico or Florida, a Cruise? Any of these holidays would be at least $5000 from Cambodia so that takes out $10,000 per year from the total leaving around $17,785 per year or $248,990 for 14 years which sounds more ball park.
I understand these estimates are for ONE person and are expenses not income - correct or not?

Who ever heard of a coffee drinker getting one coffee per week? All the ones I know take a minimum of one per day - more often three.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

With $200k, you could convert $150k to a crypto stable coin (pegged to USD) and earn ~8.6% interest with Blockfi etc. Put the other $50k in Bitcoin which earns 6% and potential growth/inflation hedge if it appreciates over time.

Would I do it ? Dunno. Just putting it out there for comments.

There's also tax implications depending on where the Defi Platform is domiciled, and your own country of residence.

https://blockfi.com/rates/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic