Hard Drive - USB - to Smart TV

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Dr. Ifter
Tourist

Re: Hard Drive - USB - to Smart TV

Post by Dr. Ifter »

Sounds 95%+ like a power issue..... as in single USB cable from TV cannot deliver enough power to the drive.

I had and rectified same /similar issue myself multiple times...... with near to 100% positive results and close to 0% fires, explosions, or loss of favorite opposable thumb.

There are cables available that split the power from the data (one head to usb drive..... two heads other end) , allowing you to power up the drive from an alternate source (phone charger etc.)

Looks something like this.........

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Dr. Ifter wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:35 am Sounds 95%+ like a power issue..... as in single USB cable from TV cannot deliver enough power to the drive.

I had and rectified same /similar issue myself multiple times...... with near to 100% positive results and close to 0% fires, explosions, or loss of favorite opposable thumb.

There are cables available that split the power from the data (one head to usb drive..... two heads other end) , allowing you to power up the drive from an alternate source (phone charger etc.)

Looks something like this.........

So this split cable arrangement give the drive a power boost so it can boot up?

What would I connect the additional USB to?
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

I'd just go for adding a powered hub. Cable from HDD in, fixed lead from hub into TV. I had the same noise when connecting media player HDD to old laptop. USB wasn't enough juice and the hub inline with power to it works every time!
Dr. Ifter
Tourist

Post by Dr. Ifter »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:48 am
Dr. Ifter wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:35 am

So this split cable arrangement give the drive a power boost so it can boot up?

What would I connect the additional USB to?
Yeah, split cable gives the drive a boost, as in...... one end goes into the drive (should be the non standard looking end) and the other end of the cable splits to two standard usb heads.... one with a thinner cable leading into it (this just sends the power), and the other goes to the TV.

Hopefully that pic and my awesome MS paint skills make it clearer!
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

I think chasing down a power problem is a waste of time. You said you heard repetitive clicking from the non working drive. Listen to the working drive. I should sound like a low hum with an occasional click. My bet is the non working drive is either toast already or on its way to being toast Hope that helps.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The power problem is the cheaper solution to try first.

Going in with disk utilities to rescue a drive (maybe an easy problem, like corrupted directory or boot sector) or bad many sectors and just raw data can be extracted, which is hard/impossible to recreate the original information.

Try the easy stuff first.

Size of TV doesn’t mean more power going to the USB port, unfortunately.

Good luck OP!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:45 am The power problem is the cheaper solution to try first.

Going in with disk utilities to rescue a drive (maybe an easy problem, like corrupted directory or boot sector) or bad many sectors and just raw data can be extracted, which is hard/impossible to recreate the original information.

Try the easy stuff first.

Size of TV doesn’t mean more power going to the USB port, unfortunately.

Good luck OP!
Well, there has been a development. The "dodgy" drive was plugged into a Samsung 65' monster and powered up, so that issue is sorted.

Now there is a new issue.

Some of the files, the Avi files (1002kbps data rate - 25fps) won't play on it; "file not supported". The MKV files are fine.

The other drive, with identical content on it, was plugged into a 49' Samsung TV and everything played - MLV's and Avi's.

Has anyone got any idea what that's all about?
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

if it's not the format, not the cable, not the TV usb settings, then it's possibly it's about your hard drives voltage requirement, portable hard drives have a minimum voltage requirement to get full functionality... sadly some require less some require more. This problem is present on old Sat TV boxes in the US, they always recommend using powered external hard drives because they know portable ones may be a hit or miss depending on the brand and model.
If you really want to pursue this, get one of those USB hubs that has external power, have the hub in between the TV and the external drive [this way you are sure it's not a power issue].
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

@Doc67 No-one uses AVI any more. Must be pretty old files. Did you use the same cable for both drives? Maybe one cable can't handle the data? *shrug*
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 pm @Doc67 No-one uses AVI any more. Must be pretty old files. Did you use the same cable for both drives? Maybe one cable can't handle the data? *shrug*
Yes, these were old UK TV series and one was posted on Pirate Bay in 2009. Works fine on my TV and my mates. It's just the big 65' one that wont play ball.

I have tried to convert the AVI files to MP4 via VLC player, but it wouldn't work.

Maybe I could install VLC on his TV so they are supported. Will that work?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic