Sam Rainsy sentenced to 25 years by Cambodian court

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Sam Rainsy sentenced to 25 years by Cambodian court

Post by phuketrichard »

He wants make sure there is no Opposition to his control;
Will one day the Khmers get tired of this and follow Thailand and Burma?

Cambodia's opposition leader-in-exile Sam Rainsy speaks to the media as he arrives at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Nov. 9, 2019. Cambodia's opposition figurehead was sentenced in absentia to 25 years in jail on March 1. (Photo: AFP)
Phnom Penh Municipal Court has sentenced former opposition leader Sam Rainsy to 25 years in prison and deprived him of the right to vote or stand as a candidate in upcoming elections for plotting to overthrow the government of Prime Minister HE.

The court also sentenced two senior figures from the dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Mu Sochua and Eng Chhay Eang, in absentia to 22 years behind bars.
https://www.ucanews.com/news/sam-rainsy ... ourt/91594#
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sam Rainsy sentenced to 25 years by Cambodian court

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm He wants make sure there is no Opposition to his control;

Yes, one day the Khmers will get tired of this and follow Thailand and Myanmar by being ruled by a military junta. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:00 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm He wants make sure there is no Opposition to his control;

Yes, one day the Khmers will get tired of this and follow Thailand and Myanmar by being ruled by a military junta. 8)
you think HE's iron fist rule is Better??
:stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:11 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:00 pm

you think HE's iron fist rule is Better??
:stir:
Versus this perennial nincompoop, absolutely! :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I do not know if Sam Rainsy is better or worse than the dear leader but I do know that he is not willing to go to jail for his beliefs. He is no Nelson Mandela.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

samrong01 wrote:I do not know if Sam Rainsy is better or worse than the dear leader but I do know that he is not willing to go to jail for his beliefs. He is no Nelson Mandela.
This. There's no way to know what the country could have accomplished with another leader at the helm, or with better checks and balances on the executive. Could probably have developed way better with less corruption within the ranks, but also could have been way worse in the wrong hands. Rainsy always played the old tired Vietnamese rhetoric that's been going on for generations now, stirring the pot. I doubt he would have done a better job, but obviously we'll never know. He talks a lot, but isn't actually principled, and the only people listening are the Khmer diaspora who are usually totally out of touch with the current reality of Cambodia.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

samrong01 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 am I do not know if Sam Rainsy is better or worse than the dear leader but I do know that he is not willing to go to jail for his beliefs. He is no Nelson Mandela.
You make it sound like Mandela marched himself to jail like a martyr .... the man was arrested and convicted for bombing and killing innocents in an attempt to overthrow the sitting (albeit despicable) government.

He may have peacefully negotiated a transition from Apahrteid after having his ‘life sentence ‘ commuted and his subsequent release for jail, but the ANC has done absolutely nothing to advance the livelihood of the common SA citizen, black, white, brown or Asian ....

He had a decades long history of being a domestic terrorist, killing and maiming the very citizens he claimed to want to free while doing little to no harm to the ruling elites.

He may be a Saint in the eyes of the western media and it’s faithful stooges who gobble up whatever version of history they wish to peddle on any given day ...... but the man was a cold blooded killer, Marxist and political agitator.

Research the 1983 Church St bombing and remember this was the culmination of almost 20 years of practicing his chosen profession as a terrorist.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Cambodia's opposition leader-in-exile Sam Rainsy speaks to the media as he arrives at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Nov. 9, 2019. Cambodia's opposition figurehead was sentenced in absentia to 25 years in jail on March 1. (Photo: AFP)
Phnom Penh Municipal Court has sentenced former opposition leader Sam Rainsy to 25 years in prison and deprived him of the right to vote or stand as a candidate in upcoming elections for plotting to overthrow the government of Prime Minister HE.

The court also sentenced two senior figures from the dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Mu Sochua and Eng Chhay Eang, in absentia to 22 years behind bars.
If I was a youngster in Cambodia wanting change, Thailand is the last place I'd be looking to as some form of democratic role model offering a bright future.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Cambodia will never recover from pol pot. It's completely dependent on the us and china. It's only chance is being a strong member of asean but that won't happen without a complete collapse first
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

He is talking about the protesters. Not the governments.
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:17 am

If I was a youngster in Cambodia wanting change, Thailand is the last place I'd be looking to as some form of democratic role model offering a bright future.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic