Internet Down in Daun Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Internet Down in Daun Penh

Post by Doc67 »

My Internet - OpenNet - went down this morning with a page saying cable failure and some of it in Vietnamese. It's not like the usual drop out of service.

Has anyone had this and does anyone know what is going on? I ask before I try to call their customer service.

Thanks
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Internet Down in Daun Penh

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:25 am My Internet - OpenNet - went down this morning with a page saying cable failure and some of it in Vietnamese. It's not like the usual drop out of service.

Has anyone had this and does anyone know what is going on? I ask before I try to call their customer service.

Thanks
Best of luck Doc, I have always said the internet is great here, that is when it is working properly.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:25 am My Internet - OpenNet - went down this morning with a page saying cable failure and some of it in Vietnamese. It's not like the usual drop out of service.

Thanks
It was working before I went out (downloaded a 1.5GB file no issues) and is still working fine now that I'm home. Opennet fibre near Old Market. Do you have the "Hi Opennet" app? Can just log fault there.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’d put money on the big bundle of cables that cross the streets and junctions getting snagged by the new improved, bigger Cintri* garbage trucks. Ours went down a few weeks back. I was watching in amusement near the The Butterfly bar on 136 couple of times as a garbage collector clambered over the vehicle to hold the cabling up, while the driver slowly drive through the junction.

Progress doesn’t always come with the anticipated outcome.

*or some other vehicle.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 am

Thanks
It was working before I went out (downloaded a 1.5GB file no issues) and is still working fine now that I'm home. Opennet fibre near Old Market. Do you have the "Hi Opennet" app? Can just log fault there.
The fault was in the street and they said it would be fixed by midnight last night and didn't need to come to my apartment. True to their word, it was fixed by the time I came home, just before midnight.

I also got a text from them yesterday about HI Opennet with a passcode. Now I know what that was all about.

Say what you like about Cambodia (and I do), when it comes to getting prompt call outs for Internet faults, handyman services, aircon servicing etc, they are on your doorstep very quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 am

Thanks
The fault was in the street and they said it would be fixed by midnight last night and didn't need to come to my apartment. True to their word, it was fixed by the time I came home, just before midnight.

I also got a text from them yesterday about HI Opennet with a passcode. Now I know what that was all about.

Say what you like about Cambodia (and I do), when it comes to getting prompt call outs for Internet faults, handyman services, aircon servicing etc, they are on your doorstep very quickly.
Thought it must be something like that. And yeah they are pretty good at responding. Not bad for ~$14/month.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’ll be switching to another provider later in the year. Opennet could well be it, based on this.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yes, mine suffered the same, being that the overhead cable got pulled down by a JCB doing some drainage work a street away from me. It was discovered and fixed the following day after I reported it to the landlord, who have got me on messenger for the purpose of any such problems, they do respond back soon has they get my message. I suppose that I don't have too much of a complaint due to my installed private line (unlimited) costs me $5 per month, the sheared line is $2.50 per month.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

In Vietnam I knew it was quite common for internet to go down for long periods, how common is it in most places in Cambodia and is satellite internet available and authorized?
:thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic