What is best way to send money from usa to cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
camgolian
Expatriate
Mongolia

What is best way to send money from usa to cambodia?

Post by camgolian »

Hello, I'm wanting to send money to an individual in PP from usa that does not involve paypal or payoneer, because i cannot use either...my last option is western union but hoping there is another way,,,cheers!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What is best way to send money from usa to cambodia?

Post by rozzieoz »

Western Union has been great for me.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

World Remit.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

From USA Western Union is the best option. Cost $10 (was $7 last year but looks like its now $10 when I just checked online) if you start the transfer online and then complete it with cash at a retail location (and they've got lots of them through pharmacies and grocery stores). I believe the maximum is $5,000 now.

Just note that if you do the entire transfer online it will cost you much more - cheapest option is the start online and pay cash in person (bring your id and confirmation # when paying).

Good luck.
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

Money gram also works well also and it’s convenient to send on their website.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

World Remit will send to a phone number in Cambodia from USA for $6.99. Transfer is instant. Pick up the money from any Wing branch. Limit is $1000.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

never used world remit so checked it
world remit; sending $999 ( maximum in us $) costs $14.99

vs western union
I just sent $1,700 via western union 2 weeks ago, cost me $11, had to use the retail office
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Plenty of codes online that wave the fees for WR, and if sending from another denomination (not the case here, bit still good to know), the exchange rate is way better than WU. But yeah, last a certain threshold all these aren't as efficient as a bank transfer (for bigger amounts).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

There's more to sending money to Cambodia than just the fee - and as a very regular sender of funds from Australia to multiple destinations/beneficiaries in Cambodia without bank accounts, as are the majority of the population, I have become a very regular user of WorldRemit due to it's speed, simplicity from my desk top pc and it's superb reporting to both sender and advice to intended recipient. There is just one caveat though - if the beneficiary can't read basic English - then I revert to using my regular Cambodian Diaspora money transfer service in Cabramatta, western-Sydney.

I can't speak highly enough about WorldRemit and for the speed, reportability/accountability and visibility of all stages of the funds transfer I am not going to quibble over an AUD dollar or two for sending funds from my savings account to Cambodia. Given that you have a choice of the beneficiary receiving funds in either KHR - Cambodia Riel or in United States Dollars - USD$ and that you are able to have the funds collected in real time from any of the near 8,000 Wing Offices open 7 days a week between 08:00 AM to 17:00 PM it is a fantastic service for those residing outside of Cambodia.

There is no "One size fits all" answer to this frequent question as both services available and fees applicable will vary from dispatch destination countries as will sender's comfort zones.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic