Cambodia's Anti-Drug Campaign 2021- 2022

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's Anti-Drug Campaign 2021

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More than 800 nabbed, 219kg drugs seized in July
Post Staff | Publication date 14 August 2021 | 12:30 ICT

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on August 13 that a total of 329 drug cases were suppressed in July, a decrease of 48 compared to June.

In the 329 cases, 849 suspects -- 776 Cambodians and 73 foreigners -- were arrested, 47 more than in June.

Of the total cases, 242 involved trafficking, 84 were drug use, one was drug syndication, and two were illegal drug planting.

Among the suspects arrested, 510 were involved in trafficking, 331 were users, five in syndication, and three in planting.

Police seized more than 219kg of several kinds of illegal drugs.

“Although the number of drug offences dropped compared to June, the amount of drugs seized increased by up to 73kg, or more than 50 per cent,” he said.

“Noticeably, there were five cases involving more than 1kg of drugs. Police arrested 13 suspects including one ring leader. Among them were eight Cambodians, one Chinese and four Vietnamese.”

These five cases involved 213kg of drugs and over 7kg of other illegal substances.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... eized-july
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News, (Kampong Cham): According to the National Police General Commission, after receiving reports from local people, Major General Em Kosal, Provincial Police Commissioner of Kampong Cham, launched an operation to crack down on trafficking and illegal use of drugs in 3 locations in Kampong Cham; 12 suspects were arrested, 3 of them were women.
Confiscated exhibits include: 13 packs of white powder suspected to be methamphetamine (including 3 large packs), 6 motorcycles, some packaging bags, 1 electronic scale and 50,000 Riels in cash.
All 12 suspects tested negative for Covid-19 virus .
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:13 pm
Confiscated exhibits include: 13 packs of white powder suspected to be methamphetamine (including 3 large packs), 6 motorcycles, some packaging bags, 1 electronic scale and 50,000 Riels in cash.
All 12 suspects tested negative for Covid-19 virus .
12 bucks 50. Sounds about right.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Slew of Drug Cases Sees Sentences From 3 Years for 1.29 Grams to 26 Years
2 min read

Mech Dara
| Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:53 pm

Drug cases are continuing to fill the courts as sentences heard on Monday ranged from three and a half years for a man caught with 1.29 grams of meth to 26 years for a Chinese national convicted of production.

Long Guohui, 50, appealed his conviction at the Supreme Court alongside Chea Vanna, 39, as both claimed that they had only played minor roles as traffickers, and their bosses remained free.

In 2018, Vanna was sentenced to 23 years for trafficking and Long 27 years for trafficking and production, though the Appeal Court reduced Long’s sentence to 26 years.

Vanna told the court that two men, Tola and Sitha, were behind the drug operation, and Tola was the one who had brought drugs and women into his hotel room. Long, meanwhile, said he was staying in NagaWorld, but when he went to a Koh Pich apartment with an air-conditioner repairman as a job for “Mr. Liv,” police were in the room and arrested him.

Prosecutor Bou Bunheang, however, said both men were part of a major drug bust, where a large quantity of drugs as well as equipment was confiscated, and they were only making excuses and changing their answers.

In another case, Keo Sinong appealed her 10-year sentence for trafficking 14 packages of drugs weighing more than 100 grams. She said she had confessed to the crime and gave information about her boss. But prosecutor Bunheang said the 10-year sentence was already the minimum for the quantity of drugs she had transported.

In the Appeal Court, meanwhile, three drug cases were heard during the morning. Vorn Samnang, 24, convicted of trafficking 9.49 grams of an undisclosed drug, appealed his three-year, eight-month sentence saying he had already served 18 months and hoped to be released in another six to reduce prison overcrowding during Covid-19.

Le Van Hao, 36, denied the charge against him, saying police had found drugs at his house but they were not his.

Run Keo Phirum, 39, was serving a three-year, six-month sentence for trafficking 1.29 grams of methamphetamines. He said he had bought the drugs for 100,000 riel (about $25) for his friends, and admitted that he was a drug user, but asked that his sentence be reduced.
https://vodenglish.news/slew-of-drug-ca ... -26-years/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia arrests 12,193 drug suspects, seizes a whopping over 1.7 tonnes of illicit drugs in 11 months
By Xinhua Net -
December 2, 2021

Cambodia have arrested 12,193 drug-related suspects during the first 11 months of 2021 and confiscated more than 1.7 tonnes of illicit drugs, an anti-drug department’s report said Wednesday.

Some 7,686 suspects were involved in drug trafficking, storing or manufacturing, and 4,507 were related to drug use, the report said, adding that 310 of them were foreigners of various nationalities.

“A total of 1,748 kilogrammes of drugs had been seized from them during the January-November period this year,” the report said.

In full: https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/as ... -11-months

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 pm more than 1.7 tonnes of illicit drugs..
That's a bit more like it, eh.
No more of this 'swooped in to seize one small sachet' crap.
:Yahoo!:
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Have you noticed that there is a certain group that wants to legalize drugs, because they want to use them recreationally. Then you agree, because it will just further Social Darwinism. They then turn around and say we need to regulate to protect those that are too naive to make the right decision and stay away.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Railroad wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:51 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:38 pm more than 1.7 tonnes of illicit drugs..
That's a bit more like it, eh.
No more of this 'swooped in to seize one small sachet' crap.
:Yahoo!:
1.7 tonnes is not a figure I can relate to. It simply translates to me as, lots. I can picture 5 kilos. So, 5K, every day, on average, is impressive!

But more than a third arrested are merely users - possibly, with shit in their system, with no other evidence - adding to the overcrowding (although it says only arrested, I imagine most end up in prison).

My guess is the big arrests are Billy Goat Gruffs - start with the user narcing on the next guy up etc., - so the penalty could be discounted down to a fine and/or treatment, community service (maybe it is, but there seems to be some harsh sentences for small amounts, for non-recidivists and presumably in-system users). Maybe they are incarcerated and freed when they nab their grassed replacement.

Regardless, whatever they're doing seems to be working to catch big, formerly untouchable, players now. Collateral damage is probably unavoidable for a greater good.

Well done to the competent ones.

I am, however, an advocate for the "H" being prescribed to users, with the undeniably positive results from countries that have adopted the policy.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

techietraveller84 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:07 pm Have you noticed that there is a certain group that wants to legalize drugs, because they want to use them recreationally. Then you agree, because it will just further Social Darwinism. They then turn around and say we need to regulate to protect those that are too naive to make the right decision and stay away.
LOL

Ahh.. squeal, hop up on a chair
it's all those dastardly Libtards fault again.

Not those creepy grannies on the Right who want to hold my hand and try leading me off to Dr Pharma and getting me pissed instead.
The "Mr Freedoms" of this world.
yeah right
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:44 pm
techietraveller84 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:07 pm Have you noticed that there is a certain group that wants to legalize drugs, because they want to use them recreationally. Then you agree, because it will just further Social Darwinism. They then turn around and say we need to regulate to protect those that are too naive to make the right decision and stay away.
LOL

Ahh.. squeal, hop up on a chair
it's all those dastardly Libtards fault again.

Not those creepy grannies on the Right who want to hold my hand and try leading me off to Dr Pharma and getting me pissed instead.
The "Mr Freedoms" of this world.
yeah right
Libtards? Libertarians?

Snivel Libertarians
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic