External Hard Drive

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: External Hard Drive

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

user_id=10713]
I've been using Sandisk Extreme Portable external SSDs, 1TB and 500GB. Highly rated are Samsung T7's, 1TB and 500 GB. Apparently Samsung is faster than Sandisk but Sandisk is more rugged. I installed an internal Crucial SSD in an older laptop a couple of years ago and have had no problems with it. Prices for 1 TB range from about $180 to $210. Don't know the local prices in PP.
[/quote]

I realise it's not what Doc is looking for in this case but those little Sandisk SSD's are great for travel. I was looking for as compact and lightweight a media storage/photo back up solution as possible on the road that didn't involve travelling with anything other than my phone. The 500gb one is perfect for me, load it up with movies/TV series and if the hotel TV doesn't recognise it I usually manage to mirror the files to the TV via the phone. I then transfer my SD Card photos to it as a back-up as they fill up. The little set up below weighs 350g.

Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

paul2d wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 am I've been using Sandisk Extreme Portable external SSDs, 1TB and 500GB. Highly rated are Samsung T7's, 1TB and 500 GB. Apparently Samsung is faster than Sandisk but Sandisk is more rugged. I installed an internal Crucial SSD in an older laptop a couple of years ago and have had no problems with it. Prices for 1 TB range from about $180 to $210. Don't know the local prices in PP.
Yes, I have the Sandisk Extreme too. extremely rugged (coated in rubber), extremely light and very, very fast (up to 300 MB per second). It will probably survive a drop from 10 meter high.

However, for simply playing some movies it's a bit too expensive and overrated. Any normal external HDD will be able to deal with that.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

If you want to save money look at buying from AliExpress but wait time is long. Brand name ones like Samsung are more expensive and probably more reliable. Transcend are pretty good and for their external hard drives they have a rubber casing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic