230Kg MK 82 Bomb Found in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

230Kg MK 82 Bomb Found in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): On February 26, 2021, the Cambodian Mine Action Center (CMAC), were called in to remove a MK82 bomb found in Phnom Penh, weighing nearly 230 kilograms, that was dropped from an aircraft, probably sometime in the early 1970s.
Heng Ratana, director general of the Mine Action Center, said the bomb had been buried in the ground for about 50 years. It was discovered during the excavation of a construction site in Phnom Penh, but has now been safely removed, and will be destroyed by the CMAC.
ImageImage
The Mk 82 aircraft bomb and its guided variants have been used extensively throughout the world and are one of the most common families of air-delivered munitions ever produced.

The Mk 82 and its variants are 500-pound (227 kg) class, low-drag, general-purpose aircraft bombs containing 89 kg of high explosive. Originally dropped as an unguided bomb (sometimes referred to as an ‘iron’ or ‘dumb’ bomb), early versions of the Mk 82 were only able to hit their target 5.5% of the time, requiring large numbers of bombs to be dropped (Blackwelder, 1993).
http://characterisationexplosiveweapons ... aft-bombs/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 230Kg MK 82 Bomb Found in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham »

I'd be interested in knowing a less vague location than "Phnom Penh". It's amazing that the yellow paint still looks so vibrant. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 am I'd be interested in knowing a less vague location than "Phnom Penh". It's amazing that the yellow paint still looks so vibrant. 8)
Same, but looking at the background/horizon of the first pic it doesn't look very central.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:43 am
John Bingham wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 am I'd be interested in knowing a less vague location than "Phnom Penh". It's amazing that the yellow paint still looks so vibrant. 8)
Same, but looking at the background/horizon of the first pic it doesn't look very central.
Agreed. I think if it had been discovered while excavating the foundations for a construction project it would have garnered a lot more interest and details as to its exact location.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The Mk 82 aircraft bomb and its guided variants have been used extensively throughout the world and are one of the most common families of air-delivered munitions ever produced.

So we don't know who owns it?

Originally dropped as an unguided bomb (sometimes referred to as an ‘iron’ or ‘dumb’ bomb), early versions of the Mk 82 were only able to hit their target 5.5% of the time, requiring large numbers of bombs to be dropped

Seems wasteful - and dangerous for innocent passer's by.
8)

Personally, i have always thought bombing like this should be a war crime.
'Pity the victors of WWII who ramped it up to what it is today won the war, or it probably would have been.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

John Bingham wrote:I'd be interested in knowing a less vague location than "Phnom Penh". It's amazing that the yellow paint still looks so vibrant. 8)
That would be bad for business for that borey owner/developer.

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

lostjeremy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:42 pm
John Bingham wrote:I'd be interested in knowing a less vague location than "Phnom Penh". It's amazing that the yellow paint still looks so vibrant. 8)
That would be bad for business for that borey owner/developer.
Sure. Buried bombs are a bit like cockroaches. Once you notice one you can be sure .........
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Not to be out done we have a few, don't half make a big bang

https://news-sky-com.cdn.ampproject.org ... r-12231468
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic