Covid spread by Chinese in PP - some history

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Covid spread by Chinese in PP - some history

Post by lagrange »

Apparently this is not the first time a pandemic has originated in China. In fact, according to Nat Geographic and Enc Brittanica, the world's deadliest epidemics started there..
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Covid spread by Chinese in PP - some history

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

#101, you have more people per square inch than anybody else on the planet and you have more epidemics.

eg. Our sailing ships that "discovered the New World" were packed tighter than John West's best
- that's why we were so successful in spreading a dozen different poxes all over the globe.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:56 am #101, you have more people per square inch than anybody else on the planet and you have more epidemics.

eg. Our sailing ships that "discovered the New World" were packed tighter than John West's best
- that's why we were so successful in spreading a dozen different poxes all over the globe.
I can see you might think that about China, but of course you would be wrong. In terms of population density China ranks 59th on the list of countries (2017 data). If people per square inch was a factor in epidemics, it would more likely start in Singapore or Bangladesh. I am not saying I know the answers, but we need to be asking the right questions.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

lagrange wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:47 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:56 am #101, you have more people per square inch than anybody else on the planet and you have more epidemics.

I can see you might think that about China, but of course you would be wrong. In terms of population density China ranks 59th on the list of countries (2017 data). If people per square inch was a factor in epidemics, it would more likely start in Singapore or Bangladesh. I am not saying I know the answers, but we need to be asking the right questions.
About 20-25% of the world's population lives in China, and that has been more or less the same in the past. So if all the other odds would be even the chance a pandemic starts there is already 20-25%. 8)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You're exaggerating a bit there. World population is well over 7 billion. China ain't 25% of that...

Most of it also has to do with people living in close proximity to animals/wildlife destruction and so on. Also, the Chinese are pretty good at liking "exotic" animal parts, most of their traditional medicine uses parts of animals which are vectors for all kinds of viruses/disease.
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 am You're exaggerating a bit there. World population is well over 7 billion. China ain't 25% of that...

Most of it also has to do with people living in close proximity to animals/wildlife destruction and so on. Also, the Chinese are pretty good at liking "exotic" animal parts, most of their traditional medicine uses parts of animals who are vectors for all kinds of viruses/disease.
When your medicine actually creates disease, surely it's time to find a quiet corner somewhere and re-evaluate a few things?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

lagrange wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:47 am I can see you might think that about China, but of course you would be wrong. In terms of population density China ranks 59th on the list of countries (2017 data). If people per square inch was a factor in epidemics, it would more likely start in Singapore or Bangladesh. I am not saying I know the answers, but we need to be asking the right questions.
China is a big country with a lot of empty land, which brings down the average population density. Most of their very large population is squeezed tightly together on the east coast.

I’m not arguing against your assertion that a lot of epidemic diseases seem to originate there, but I don’t think the country and it’s people should be treated as though they are personally responsible when it happens.

That said, a lot of the Chinese who visit Cambodia do seem to have little regard for their quarantine obligations.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 am You're exaggerating a bit there. World population is well over 7 billion. China ain't 25% of that...

Most of it also has to do with people living in close proximity to animals/wildlife destruction and so on. Also, the Chinese are pretty good at liking "exotic" animal parts, most of their traditional medicine uses parts of animals which are vectors for all kinds of viruses/disease.
Maybe I should have written 'substantial part of World's population.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in Human history incl pandemics the book 'Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies' by Jared Diamond is worth a read. It's hard to spend today in a better way than by reading this book I'd almost say.....
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

[/quote]

China is a big country with a lot of empty land, which brings down the average population density. Most of their very large population is squeezed tightly together on the east coast.

I’m not arguing against your assertion that a lot of epidemic diseases seem to originate there, but I don’t think the country and it’s people should be treated as though they are personally responsible when it happens.

[/quote]
Actually maybe we should do exactly that. Think about it. Potential terrorists are screened at borders and in many cases refused entry visas to a lot of countries based on background and nationality, yet all the terrorist acts of the 20th and 21st centuries have not caused even a small percentage of the deaths caused by pandemics originating in China. So if a plague carrier is not held personally responsible then who is?
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

[ but I don’t think the country and it’s people should be treated as though they are personally responsible when it happens.

That said, a lot of the Chinese who visit Cambodia do seem to have little regard for their quarantine obligations.]

You have contradicted yourself 100%. :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic