Making payment into a Thai bank account

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Making payment into a Thai bank account

Post by ergosemper »

The THB amount quoted on the Wing app is the amount the receiver will see on his or her Thai account.

However, you should reconfirm this with Wing because the last time I used this service was last year. I am now using ABA's Visa Direct service.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

ergosemper wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:42 am The THB amount quoted on the Wing app is the amount the receiver will see on his or her Thai account.

However, you should reconfirm this with Wing because the last time I used this service was last year. I am now using ABA's Visa Direct service.
ergosemper wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:42 am The THB amount quoted on the Wing app is the amount the receiver will see on his or her Thai account.

I may check out Visa Direct as we now have a few more days to do this.

I went to the Wing HQ today. It seems that the account will be ready and there is no problem there.

What is confusing is that it seems to be asking for additional information that you wouldn't normally provide. For example, in this case we are sending money to a company.

First it asks for Account name and account number- easy enough, it's just the company name and their account number.

But then it goes on to ask for Receiver info: First name, last name, date of birth, Nationality.

We asked at Wing and they seem to think in this case the name of the person is for the person who may come to the bank to collect the money from the bank account. Of course that would rarely be necessary since most businesses just keep their money in their account.

Does that make sense? Who is this person who is to be named? Please see photos:

ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

I am unsure how this works if the receiver is a company. It seems the app is designed to serve the needs of Wing users remitting money to individuals only. I have never used the app to send money to a company or corporate account. I suggest that you discuss this with Wing staff.

Alternatively you may want to consider doing a bank transfer.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

ergosemper wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:49 pm I am unsure how this works if the receiver is a company. It seems the app is designed to serve the needs of Wing users remitting money to individuals only. I have never used the app to send money to a company or corporate account. I suggest that you discuss this with Wing staff.

Alternatively you may want to consider doing a bank transfer.
So when you say it is normally used for remitting to an individual, is that usually an individual with a bank account or do they walk in and collect cash, kind of like Western Union?

We'll go to the office again to try to figure it out,
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

I meant a personal bank account. Nobody walks in. The money is credited to the account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

ergosemper wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:37 am I meant a personal bank account. Nobody walks in. The money is credited to the account.
OK, great, thanks for all your help. If the company has a Visa card we may just go with the ABA to visa method you mentioned. I don't think I can deal with the hassle of a transfer that has gone wrong at some bank in Thailand!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Personally, I think nobody in their right mind will give you their Visa card number. I know I wouldn't. For transfers to third parties, a regular bank transfer (as mentioned with the Wing to Kasikorn Bank option) is best.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just curious;
how much money are you talking about?
under 2,000 baht? fuck, i'll send gf sister around to collect it, an transfer it to whomever you want in thailand from my thai bank
PM me :beer3:

seems this is turning into a real hassle for ya
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Alex wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:42 pm Personally, I think nobody in their right mind will give you their Visa card number. I know I wouldn't. For transfers to third parties, a regular bank transfer (as mentioned with the Wing to Kasikorn Bank option) is best.
Yeah, I offered them that option but they just didn't reply, presumably because, as you mentioned they don't want to share their Visa card number.

Unfortunately the Wing option didn't work yet. It just showed some kind of error message in computer language. Seems to be an error on their app. We will have to go to the Wing head office in the morning to see if they can do it manually through their system.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:56 pm just curious;
how much money are you talking about?
under 2,000 baht? fuck, i'll send gf sister around to collect it, an transfer it to whomever you want in thailand from my thai bank
PM me :beer3:

seems this is turning into a real hassle for ya
Yeah this is an unbelievable hassle, and it all comes down to the Embassy in question refusing to receive or send DHL packets. So we had to find an agent, figure out how to pay them, figure out how to make sure they wouldn't scam us, etc.

It's a little over 4,000 Baht- I'm seriously considering your offer!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic