Rumours that police will be stopping and checking passports of foreigners for legal status?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Phnomenally
Tourist
Cambodia

Rumours that police will be stopping and checking passports of foreigners for legal status?

Post by Phnomenally »

I don't know if this is allowed here, I apologize if it's not. It's something I just saw posted on facebook and I don't know if it's true, I hope it is just hype and not true.

Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Rumours that police will be stopping and checking passports of foreigners for legal status?

Post by Splashback »

Steve Smith strikes again... Unless from an official source it's nothing to worry about. They're not going to temporarily detain almost every foreigner while they confirm their ID's. Laughable.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Rumours that police will be stopping and checking passports of foreigners for legal status?

Post by jaynewcastle »

Not everything you read on the internet is true
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Even if it were true, only fools would be silly enough to carry their original passport around with them. I personally always have a copy of the bio-page and current Visa EOS on my phone just in case, and take a photocopy for the local authorities when travelling out to the provinces.
Phnomenally
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Phnomenally »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 pm Even if it were true, only fools would be silly enough to carry their original passport around with them. I personally always have a copy of the bio-page and current Visa EOS on my phone just in case, and take a photocopy for the local authorities when travelling out to the provinces.
Thank you that is a good idea I have never had it on my phone.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnomenally wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:26 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 pm Even if it were true, only fools would be silly enough to carry their original passport around with them. I personally always have a copy of the bio-page and current Visa EOS on my phone just in case, and take a photocopy for the local authorities when travelling out to the provinces.
make sure you black out some numbers.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Phnomenally wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:40 pm I don't know if this is allowed here, I apologize if it's not. It's something I just saw posted on facebook and I don't know if it's true, I hope it is just hype and not true.
Stop doubting. Everything that has ever been posted on Facebook is absolutely and verifiably true. They wouldn't have it any other way.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"True" in the the new post-modernist, post-science, sense.
- our brave new Mark Zuckerberg world.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Phnomenally wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:26 pm
What would you do if you loose your passport you need to keep a copy somewhere eg email copy to your self or photos on your phone simple
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Exactly, ATST. I have an album on my phone, computer, laptop and tablet named Vitals. In go photos of every update, new visa, new extension, new passport. Plus I have a colour copy of my passport bio page, extension and last entry on an A4 paper that I keep in my wallet. This is something you learn to do in Thailand. No way will I carry my passport.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic