Rumours that police will be stopping and checking passports of foreigners for legal status?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rumours that police will be stopping and checking passports of foreigners for legal status?

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rumours that police will be stopping and checking passports of foreigners for legal status?

Post by canucklhead »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 pm "True" in the the new post-modernist, post-science, sense.
- our brave new Mark Zuckerberg world.
You know the thing!
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Phnomenally wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:40 pm I don't know if this is allowed here, I apologize if it's not. It's something I just saw posted on facebook and I don't know if it's true, I hope it is just hype and not true.

And Steve dont go near st 172 or st 51 as they are barricaded and shut down. :facepalm:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

You just have to read that post to see that it is nonsense.

"Phnom Penh has ordered"... Phnom Penh what? The King of Phnom Penh?

"Nationwide"... But you just said Phnom Penh?

"Traffic stop"... so walking is ok?

"New Crown Pneumonia"... what the fuck is that?

The rest of it is the same illiterate gibberish. Steve Smith must be a right div. You'd have to be "Phnomenally" gullible to believe this past the first two lines.

Facebook... :facepalm:
Phnomenally
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Phnomenally »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:21 am You just have to read that post to see that it is nonsense.

The rest of it is the same illiterate gibberish. Steve Smith must be a right div. You'd have to be "Phnomenally" gullible to believe this past the first two lines.

OK sorry I didn't know I thought it might be true. I know in Japan foreigners are supposed to carry their passport all the time.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:21 am You just have to read that post to see that it is nonsense.

Yes that's right.
The King of Phnom Penh his ordered a nation-sized traffic light lollipop because he lost his new crown, Pneumonia, in a Chinese escape, which is similar to a fire escape, only they all lead to Cambodia.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

There was a similar message from a Chinese company that was making the rounds so this could just be a wechat- or google translation. It was directed at mainlanders though. “Compatriots” gives it away and if you toss Novel Corona into the translator you may get “New Crown”.
The quarantine escapes have probably raised a few eyebrows and perhaps a few more visa irregularities were found with the folks who were subsequently tested. Beijing also issued a statement over the weekend to “compatriots” abroad to adhere to local laws.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

theKid wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:59 am

There was a similar message from a Chinese company that was making the rounds so this could just be a wechat- or google translation. It was directed at mainlanders though. “Compatriots” gives it away and if you toss Novel Corona into the translator you may get “New Crown”.
The quarantine escapes have probably raised a few eyebrows and perhaps a few more visa irregularities were found with the folks who were subsequently tested. Beijing also issued a statement over the weekend to “compatriots” abroad to adhere to local laws.
Obvious, when a sober person with an IQ above their age investigates. Thanks for that. Hope you're not a kid
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 pm Even if it were true, only fools would be silly enough to carry their original passport around with them. I personally always have a copy of the bio-page and current Visa EOS on my phone just in case, and take a photocopy for the local authorities when travelling out to the provinces.
Has mentioned by another member, in some countries the foreigner is required to carry his/her passport with them at all times, I like many others carry a copy or better still like you mentioned the original, but on my smartphone.
But, would it be fair to say if stopped and asked by the authorities, it would only be by their discretion that they would except the copy, because the original passport is a legal requirement of yourself.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:40 pm Even if it were true, only fools would be silly enough to carry their original passport around with them. I personally always have a copy of the bio-page and current Visa EOS on my phone just in case, and take a photocopy for the local authorities when travelling out to the provinces.
Has mentioned by another member, in some countries the foreigner is required to carry his/her passport with them at all times, I like many others carry a copy or better still like you mentioned the original, but on my smartphone.
But, would it be fair to say if stopped and asked by the authorities, it would only be by their discretion that they would except the copy, because the original passport is a legal requirement of yourself.
Ultimately it would be your responsibility to produce the original if they insist on seeing it. That could prove more or less difficult. My passport always stays at home unless I go on overnight trips.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic