Owning a business / work permits in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: Owning a business / work permits in Cambodia

Post by TheGrinchSR »

The law is clear that if you own a business here that you aren't considered to be working and thus don't need a work permit. I am enjoying the ridiculous interpretations of the law to squeeze extra cash out of people but you don't need a work permit. Though many people will be happy to sell you one.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

TheGrinchSR wrote:The law is clear that if you own a business here that you aren't considered to be working and thus don't need a work permit. I am enjoying the ridiculous interpretations of the law to squeeze extra cash out of people but you don't need a work permit. Though many people will be happy to sell you one.
Thanks for joining CEO and adding your input.

So would should LJ have done? Just smiled and said, "Oh, no thank you. Have a nice day."

[No sarcasm, just how do you suggest dealing with authorities that insist you need one?]
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

I'd have asked them to show me that in the law. The application of the law here has been essentially encouraged by expat work permit agents. The law is clear that it's only those who work that need permits and it's clear that business owners don't count as workers. If that failed, I'd have called a legal representative and let them deal with it. That's what lawyers are for. Even if I don't like it much...
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

I agree.

However:

DFDL lawyers for example charge $600 per hour.

I can see a 40 plus hour bill to win your argument, only to have to go through it all again in a couple of years.

Even at $100 per hour lawyer bill, just paying up is more pragmatic.

Principles do not equate to practicality nor profit.

Also is not monitoring your business working?
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Fortunately, it's not a position I'm likely to face - I do own a company here but don't work for it (at all). My other companies are offshore and don't need to deal with Cambodia (and don't due to the sad lack of money in Cambodian business at the moment). The law was very clear to define business owners as investors as opposed to employees and thus "not working" with respect to work permit law.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic