February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Post by armchairlawyer »

atst wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:42 am She went to a wedding on 17th why is this a concern for to 20th outbreak?
I suppose the 14 day incubation period means that anything from Feb 4th onwards is potentially relevant to the outbreak on 20th.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anyone seen any report on the new cases on the 27th?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:33 am Anyone seen any report on the new cases on the 27th?
Khmer Times are reporting another 35 new community cases this morning (plus 4 imported). But this is just one source, so not 100% verified.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:36 am
Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:33 am Anyone seen any report on the new cases on the 27th?
Khmer Times are reporting another 35 new community cases this morning (plus 4 imported). But this is just one source, so not 100% verified.
If you follow the MoH on FB, they post the numbers daily. 39 (total) is correct.
https://www.facebook.com/MinistryofHealthofCambodia
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

COVID-19: More Locally-transmitted Cases Detected
AKP Phnom Penh, February 28, 2021 --

Cambodia this morning recorded 39 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19); bringing the tally to 805, of them 302 are locally transmitted, according to a press release of the Ministry of Health.

Among the new cases, 35 are related to the Feb. 20 Community Event - the 3rd cluster infections in Cambodia, and the rest are imported cases.

The new locally-transmitted cases include 24 Chinese, 6 Vietnamese, and 5 Cambodians aged between 23 and 51 years old in Phnom Penh capital and Preah Sihanouk province.

The four imported cases are Cambodian peacekeepers in their thirties returning from their UN mission in Africa. They arrived in the country on Feb. 21 via India.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:06 am Are you seeking a test for travel purposes or because you were in one of the hotspots? Or are they charging everyone, regardless of why they are seeking a test?
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:11 am BUT, if you do test positive, (which I do not wish on you), of course we'd love to hear what goes on inside the Covid hospitals. :popcorn:
Happy to report (for all those folks doubtlessly holding their breath) that I tested negative. So, someone else will have to supply the hospital updates 🥳 Here's some more info on the experience:

When you get your test they tell you to come back for results at 5pm the next day. As opposed to the tests, which were not on time, I showed up 15 minutes early and people were already filing through with their results.

Collection was incredibly easy and frankly given how critical we can be of processes here, a lot of praise is due for how easy it was. You show your receipt from your test. About 2 or 3 of the "interview" stations are manned, and I think depending on nationality (if I had to guess, Khmer/Chinese/Other... but not sure), you get told to go to one of those stations, where the results are sorted. They stamp your receipt, check your paperwork, and hand you a two page packet (first page travel certificate, second page test results) along with a brown envelope for safe keeping. All in all it took no more than 2 minutes, and it moved quickly enough that I had a wait of maybe 1 minute. I would also say that the documentation issued here is better and more comprehensive than I received in my country of origin before my last trip into Cambodia.

So, if they could simply start the test day on time, they'd actually have a really good process all the way through (and it's certainly better than the testing process at the quarantine hotels). Additionally, to manage the issues of social distancing for our friends from places where queueing is a challenge, they have introduced a new queue with distancing marks on the ground. So even at the worst of times, it should be more organised now than it was in the photo that was published.

As to why I took the test, yes, I took the test for travel purposes as I decided to leave after the current outbreak due to the timing of personal circumstances and the lockdown risks where I live here. A woman with a Khmer passport got her family tested yesterday at the same time as me, and had to pay the full amount, so I'm assuming anyone requiring a travel certificate has to pay regardless of nationality. Since I wasn't a member of the forum last time I'll be happy to share the quarantine process with interested parties on my (hopefully vaccinated) return :)

Finally, regarding the chap querying why the wedding controversy is tied to the Feb 20 moment despite having taken place on the 17th, it's worth pointing out that the 20th is when the infections were discovered, not when they occurred. If the wedding attendee had exposure to infected people in the days leading up to the 20th, it's very much a contact tracing event.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

whats the test cost for travel purposes with certificate?

cheapest here in Phuket is $115 but it goes up to almost $200
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kingdom's Covid-19 cluster cases hit 302
Post Staff | Publication date 28 February 2021 | 09:01 ICT

The Ministry of Health on February 28 confirmed 39 more cases of Covid-19, with four imported and the rest linked to the February 20 community transmission.

The four imported cases are all Cambodian UN peacekeepers who arrived from Africa via India on February 21. They are receiving treatment at their training centre in Kampong Speu province.

The 35 cluster cases include six Vietnamese nationals and five Cambodians, with the rest being Chinese, bringing Cambodia's third community transmission cases to 302.

Of the 35, eight are Chinese nationals staying in Preah Sihanouk province and are being treated there, while the rest are receiving treatment in Phnom Penh.

In a press release, the ministry also noted that it had located the last two Covid-19-positive persons whom it had been searching for and has now admitted them to a quarantine centre in the capital for treatment.

The latest cases bring the Kingdom's Covid-19 tally to 805, with 477 having recovered and been discharged from hospitals.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... es-hit-302
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Anyone else find the "Total" cases being mentioned all the time in the media a bit confusing/not essential. I want to know how many current cases there are. I don't really care about the 200 or whatever who got it an recovered and ate back home. I feel the wording always makes I sound like there are xxx current cases when in fact the total tally is irrelevant, we only need to know the current situation.(from arrivals/Feb 20th "event"). I mean, it's still pretty telling that literally everyone here has recovered from it... Not criticizing CEO, more like KT and the way they report it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:10 pm Anyone else find the "Total" cases being mentioned all the time in the media a bit confusing/not essential. I want to know how many current cases there are. I don't really care about the 200 or whatever who got it an recovered and ate back home. I feel the wording always makes I sound like there are xxx current cases when in fact the total tally is irrelevant, we only need to know the current situation.(from arrivals/Feb 20th "event"). I mean, it's still pretty telling that literally everyone here has recovered from it... Not criticizing CEO, more like KT and the way they report it.
805 - 477 = 328 active cases
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic