February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Post by Username Taken »

Coronavirus: 86% of people who tested positive did not have cough, fever or loss of taste or smell, new study shows
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 64271.html
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:21 pm Coronavirus: 86% of people who tested positive did not have cough, fever or loss of taste or smell, new study shows
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 64271.html
And those were just the ones who had reason to be tested to begin with.

It's safe to infer that many, many, many more had it and never even had a test nor symptoms.

I think a huge problem in the west has been that, because the populace are living in media frenzy based fear, people have been presenting to doctors and hospitals with minor to moderate flu/cold/corona symptoms when the best thing they could have done would have been stay at home and self isolate and or medicate for a week or two until it passed.
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 am And we have no idea what the level of compliance to get tested is. There must be many that have been to one of these locations and are sitting it out at home not wanting to be caught up in it all.

With scenes like this awaiting you at the test centre, many wouldn't want to put themselves further at risk. Would you?

So, I went to NIPH this morning, which is where whoever took this photo took it.

What I will say is that those who try and beat the crowds won't see a scene like that, but certainly I can understand how this happened. 20-30 minutes after opening, no one had still been tested. So instead of an orderly flow, it creates a back log. After the opening time, computers were still being plugged in and TVs turned on. The overall process start to finish really shouldn't take more than 15-20 mins but for me it was an hour. For those folks in the photo, if they showed up later in the morning or afternoon, I can totally understand why it would be an hours long process. The process itself (registration & temp check, passport checks, interview, payment, swab test) is actually reasonably organised and comprehensive. Apparently some countries are also requiring a blood test (?). Obviously I know it's an unreasonable ask, but scenes like the one in the photo could probably be solved or at least helped if there was simply better timekeeping at the start of the day.

To @Doc67 's point, this doesn't really encourage folks who aren't sure about whether they've been exposed to take a test, because a lot of those folks probably feel they can't afford to take hours away from whatever work they do, to begin with. And additionally, there's not a ton of social distancing. There are a few markers on the ground but not really well observed.

Fingers crossed everything comes back negative for me and I won't have to respond to the conjecture on the forum about what actually is happening inside the hospitals.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

themistyseas wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:29 pm
are you related to 'themuddywaters'?

monstra mihi bona!
themistyseas
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by themistyseas »

Phnom Poon wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:09 pm are you related to 'themuddywaters'?
No
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Fingers crossed everything comes back negative for me and I won't have to respond to the conjecture on the forum about what actually is happening inside the hospitals.
BUT, if you do test positive, (which I do not wish on you), of course we'd love to hear what goes on inside the Covid hospitals. :popcorn:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus’ friend’s entire apartment went on lockdown a few days ago. Apparently a few long term Chinese residents tested positive before their flight back. Ten more days to go. With testing every 4 days or so.

An squad has been formed to catch quarantine runners at Chak Angre.

Equipped with long graspers (being the long arm of the law), as well as fishing nets. I guess the riot shield is to protect them from being spit on by the runners as they are being caught.

The running Khmer joke is that if the runners grew fins they wouldn’t be able to swim away nor if they grew wings they wouldn’t be able to fly away.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

another possible outbreak??
the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Interior were extremely upset and concerned with the antics of a police woman who attended a wedding party in Prey Veng on 17 February, 2021 and was later tested positive for COVID-19.

Authorities fear the outbreak of a fourth community outbreak within a week if there are positive cases among the 41 brought in for swab tests after being tracked down. The police women who reportedly has a Chinese national as a husband, had attended the wedding at Toul Sangke Toteung village, Cheach commune, Kamchay Mear district.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50817283/u ... g-wedding/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

She went to a wedding on 17th why is this a concern for to 20th outbreak?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:17 am And we have no idea what the level of compliance to get tested is. There must be many that have been to one of these locations and are sitting it out at home not wanting to be caught up in it all.

With scenes like this awaiting you at the test centre, many wouldn't want to put themselves further at risk. Would you?

So, I went to NIPH this morning, which is where whoever took this photo took it.

What I will say is that those who try and beat the crowds won't see a scene like that, but certainly I can understand how this happened. 20-30 minutes after opening, no one had still been tested. So instead of an orderly flow, it creates a back log. After the opening time, computers were still being plugged in and TVs turned on. The overall process start to finish really shouldn't take more than 15-20 mins but for me it was an hour. For those folks in the photo, if they showed up later in the morning or afternoon, I can totally understand why it would be an hours long process. The process itself (registration & temp check, passport checks, interview, payment, swab test) is actually reasonably organised and comprehensive. Apparently some countries are also requiring a blood test (?). Obviously I know it's an unreasonable ask, but scenes like the one in the photo could probably be solved or at least helped if there was simply better timekeeping at the start of the day.

To @Doc67 's point, this doesn't really encourage folks who aren't sure about whether they've been exposed to take a test, because a lot of those folks probably feel they can't afford to take hours away from whatever work they do, to begin with. And additionally, there's not a ton of social distancing. There are a few markers on the ground but not really well observed.

payment,

Are you seeking a test for travel purposes or because you were in one of the hotspots? Or are they charging everyone, regardless of why they are seeking a test?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic