February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Post by mcam »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:55 am Here's a map of locations. Not completely up to date but still pretty concerning:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 40531&z=16
Either not up to date or not accurate. There are places behind Ratana Plaza on the list for a few days now and they are not on that map.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:48 pm
Felgerkarb wrote:
Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:32 pm 195 now, up 58 from yesterday + 6 imported cases.

That includes 6 positives arriving from China. Funny that, I thought they were all tested prior to travel.

Looking at the nationalities, it's now out of the Chinese community and getting about a bit.

Of the 58 COVID-19 positive cases involving the February 20 Community Event, 41 were Chinese, nine Vietnamese, five Cambodians, one Korean, one Singaporean and one Japanese, according to the Ministry of Health.

I wonder how many hospital beds they have available here? They currently have 217 patients in there isolation units and that number is set to grow. I think we might be about to find out.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50817968/1 ... reach-697/
The better question never asked in these cases is how many of them are sick, rather than just positive?
In the UK 86% of positive tested people didn’t have any symptoms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What just "just"positive mean. Positive is positive. As in the UK, 86% had no symptoms before or on the day of the test. You can infect others without having symptoms. Does HIV ring a bell? Hopefully it gets under control but the exponential spread for now is not looking good.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cambo swa wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:35 am
What just "just"positive mean. Positive is positive. As in the UK, 86% had no symptoms before or on the day of the test. You can infect others without having symptoms. Does HIV ring a bell? Hopefully it gets under control but the exponential spread for now is not looking good.
Very hard to see exponential growth in these numbers:

Number of positive CoVid-19 tests and daily growth
21 feb 533 (+17)
22 feb 568 (+35)
23 feb 593 (+25)
24 feb 633 (+40)
25 feb 697 (+64)
26 Feb 741 (+44)

Rather random to me, other than there's an increase.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:53 am

21 feb 533 (+17)
22 feb 568 (+35)
23 feb 593 (+25)
24 feb 633 (+40)
25 feb 697 (+64)
26 Feb 741 (+44)

Without knowing how many people have been tested, all those numbers show is that Covid is present in Cambodia. Without knowing how many people have been tested, and out of those, how many are positive, we don't have a clue as to the scale.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:10 am
Kammekor wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:53 am

21 feb 533 (+17)
22 feb 568 (+35)
23 feb 593 (+25)
24 feb 633 (+40)
25 feb 697 (+64)
26 Feb 741 (+44)

Without knowing how many people have been tested, all those numbers show is that Covid is present in Cambodia. Without knowing how many people have been tested, and out of those, how many are positive, we don't have a clue as to the scale.
And we have no idea what the level of compliance to get tested is. There must be many that have been to one of these locations and are sitting it out at home not wanting to be caught up in it all.

With scenes like this awaiting you at the test centre, many wouldn't want to put themselves further at risk. Would you?

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as i posted in another topic;
post475787.html?hilit=migrants%20crossing#p475787
150-200 migrants pass through Ou Beichoan on an average day –
.....Due to limited finances, returning migrants at Ou Beichoan are not administered proper Covid-19 tests. Instead, they’re called up in groups of four for temperature checks.
so anyone that holds on to the belief that the numbers reported infected are true and accurate is living in a dream world
that really dont know
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:19 am as i posted in another topic;
post475787.html?hilit=migrants%20crossing#p475787
150-200 migrants pass through Ou Beichoan on an average day –
.....Due to limited finances, returning migrants at Ou Beichoan are not administered proper Covid-19 tests. Instead, they’re called up in groups of four for temperature checks.
so anyone that holds on to the belief that the numbers reported infected are true and accurate is living in a dream world
that really dont know
Just have to frame them correctly as the number of identified cases.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Felgerkarb wrote:
Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:32 pm 195 now, up 58 from yesterday + 6 imported cases.

That includes 6 positives arriving from China. Funny that, I thought they were all tested prior to travel.

Looking at the nationalities, it's now out of the Chinese community and getting about a bit.

Of the 58 COVID-19 positive cases involving the February 20 Community Event, 41 were Chinese, nine Vietnamese, five Cambodians, one Korean, one Singaporean and one Japanese, according to the Ministry of Health.

I wonder how many hospital beds they have available here? They currently have 217 patients in there isolation units and that number is set to grow. I think we might be about to find out.

The better question never asked in these cases is how many of them are sick, rather than just positive?

where in my post did i say you cant infect people if you dont have symptoms? :facepalm:
Felg asked how many of the cases had symptoms or not
i gave him a statistic from the UK stating out of the number of people tested 86% of the positive cases didnt show any symptoms
what you quoting me about HIV for?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:29 pm
Felgerkarb wrote:

where in my post did i say you cant infect people if you dont have symptoms? :facepalm:
i gave him a statistic from the UK stating out of the number of people tested 86% of the positive cases didnt show any symptoms
Indeed, there is zero information that I have seen on the condition of any of the people in hospital or in the ICU's of the hospital. With 700+ cases so far they must have had some seriously ill people. If not, surely people must be starting to scratch their heads asking what's all the fuss about.

Once the people who test positive go in the hospital there is a wall of silence until it is announced, usually at the end of a MOH bulletin about something else, that another "2 people have been cured".

The media seem so incurious about what goes on inside the hospital, or the capacity available, especially given there are over 200 in there at the moment and that number is rising everyday by 50 odd.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:29 pm
Felgerkarb wrote:

86% showing no symptoms does seem rather high. The best I could get from Google was 30%. Not saying you're lying but do you have a link to that?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic