February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: February 20, 2021, Covid Community Outbreak (Koh Pich and Beyond)

Post by John Bingham »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 pm Chak Angre Health Center in Koh Pich....
:?
Chak Angre Health Center is on NR 2 down near Takhmao.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Maybe they have set up a testing centre on Koh Pich to take the swabs, given they are sealed it off from the rest of PP.

Just a thought
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:18 am Maybe they have set up a testing centre on Koh Pich to take the swabs, given they are sealed it off from the rest of PP.

Just a thought
Koh Pich isn't sealed off as far as I know, just a few apartment buildings are. DIB club is still open.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Now 137

Cambodia’s February 20 Community Event COVID-19 cases soar to 137, bringing total tally to 633

To date the number of areas which have been termed as hotspots has risen to 47 locations in the capital and beyond

However, they did not list all 47 hotspots.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50817535/c ... ly-to-633/
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

For several weeks, Khmer Times has been highlighting the number of escapes from quarantine centres in the three provinces border Thailand as well as the lax security in Phnom Penh’s quarantine centres where corruption and lax security has seen quarantined people sun bathing at the hotel’s swimming pool, paying guards to leave the quarantine centres and return at a late time or even at a later date, which is the due date for the 13th day test.

Most of these reports went without any response from the authorities concerned or were denied.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50817535/c ... ly-to-633/

Khmer Times are pretty confident this morning....
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Khmer Times says it is time for the military to take (over) from local or in house security guards to prevent yet another community outbreak.
good cop, bad cop routine

monstra mihi bona!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I thought the last one in November would be difficult to control and resigned myself to the fact that that was going to be the 'big one' but I turned out to be wrong.

With many more people involved in this lastest outbreak, many more locations identified and the fact that the UK variant has been identified, which is much more transmissible, I have an even stronger feeling that this is going to be the 'big one' but I'm praying that I'm wrong again.

If you look at the first outbreak last year, the difference between the countries which suffered a lot and those that manged to escape the worst of it was contact tracing. Places like South Korea had a very robust contact tracing scheme in place very quickly and they managed to bring it under control. Countries like the UK, Italy, the US etc, did not, and they paid a huge price.

It does seem to me that Cambodia recognises the imortance of contact tracing to bring it under control, and credit where it's due, it's appears that it was this that helped them deal with the November outbreak. If media reports are to be believed (I'm not much of a conspiacy theorist and generally believe the narrative until something comes along to prove otherwise) they do seem to making a big effort to contact trace and isolate. I suspect that they are getting a lot of help and guidence from the WHO.

Let's just pray that this is enough to bring this latest outbreak under control. A large outbreak here would be utterly, utterly devastating. More so than almost any other country.

Where are those damn vaccines????
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:20 am I thought the last one in November would be difficult to control and resigned myself to the fact that that was going to be the 'big one' but I turned out to be wrong.

With many more people involved in this lastest outbreak, many more locations identified and the fact that the UK variant has been identified, which is much more transmissible, I have an even stronger feeling that this is going to be the 'big one' but I'm praying that I'm wrong again.

If you look at the first outbreak last year, the difference between the countries which suffered a lot and those that manged to escape the worst of it was contact tracing. Places like South Korea had a very robust contact tracing scheme in place very quickly and they managed to bring it under control. Countries like the UK, Italy, the US etc, did not, and they paid a huge price.

It does seem to me that Cambodia recognises the imortance of contact tracing to bring it under control, and credit where it's due, it's appears that it was this that helped them deal with the November outbreak. If media reports are to be believed (I'm not much of a conspiacy theorist and generally believe the narrative until something comes along to prove otherwise) they do seem to making a big effort to contact trace and isolate. I suspect that they are getting a lot of help and guidence from the WHO.

Let's just pray that this is enough to bring this latest outbreak under control. A large outbreak here would be utterly, utterly devastating. More so than almost any other country.

Where are those damn vaccines????
Maybe it's time to run back home? They've peaked already. :stir:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Serious now...

The official narrative is the virus more less was banned from Cambodia, but it's now been re-introduced by the four escapees. It's fine if you believe that story, but it would be odd. Cambodia would have been about the only country in the world able to ban the virus.

This all started with a Chinese lady accidentally testing positive for a covid PCR test. She didn't go for the test because she was ill, but because she needed the (negative) test to be able to go back to China. She most probably was asymptomatic, otherwise she wouldn't have tried to obtain a 'negative' test. The ball started rolling from there.

All the stories about variants being more infectious... Maybe it's true, but infection rates in the USA and Europe have been going down for weeks now, despite all the horror stories told by the experts.

@Xandreu, don't get too winded up over all this. All's back to normal in a week or so. They will stop mass testing and life's back to normal.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:08 am
Khmer Times says it is time for the military to take (over) from local or in house security guards to prevent yet another community outbreak.
good cop, bad cop routine
Same as Australia and New Zealand
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic