Can you swim ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

CAN YOU SWIM?

YES
88%
NO
12%

Total votes: 26
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Can you swim ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

It seems that 1 out of 5 adults in the UK cannot swim.It doesn't surprise me much - it's so damn cold.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -cant-swim
If you can't swim, why not? Do you miss it or does it not matter ?

I imagine that most Ozzies, Kiwis and Saffers can swim (due to the climate)? Where did you learn ?

What about Khmers? Lots of water here and everyone loves to jump in when it's hot, but apparently a lot of people can't swim.

I love swimming :OD:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Can you swim ?

Post by Duncan »

I don't swim cause I find the water is too wet for me,,,, but wouldn't mind finding out if there are any swimming lessons anywhere available for kids .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

If i didn't swim 5-6 days a week i wouldn't be living in Phuket but would be in northern Thailand.
My daughter could swim before she could walk
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

My son is a great swimmer. He's 3 now and can swim 25 meters and has been swimming without floats since he was 2.
So important for us to get out of the house and off of our ipad (him) computer/android phone (me) and to have some exercise.

Sadly they're so many child drownings in Cambodia (out in the provinces, in rivers and ponds) because the kids are just messing about playing in water but don't actually know how to swim and so they get out of their depths and an accident occurs.
Last month there were at least 4 incidents reported of under 10 year olds drowning.
I appreciate that they can't learn in a swimming pool like my son, but they should be educated about the dangers or supervised by a more able peer.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

It is so true that many Cambodians couldn't swim. I think i am a good example for this. I am from where there are so many beaches,, but i am also bad at swimming. I think i can swim, however when i go deeper where i can not touch the bottom, i will not be able to swim. I just don't feel confident and brave enough to swim. :). However, it is really fair for us for not be able to swim as there is no swimming program for us at school (state school), in addition, most of us are not obsess with swimming. Not to mention, most of us doesn't realise that swimming is a compulsory skill that everyone should know as it can save our life.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

cause i can fucking swim ...what?......
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I can swim. Self-taught in a large, deep pool several years ago by doing laps. Before that I never had much opportunity to learn and practice. Once I learned the proper breathing technique the rest came rather easily. Still don't have much open water swimming experience, which is the real test.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I can swim. Ever since I can remember. Grew up in houses with a pool or relatives with pools. Family trips to the beaches too and was always allowed to swim anywhere I wanted.

I could beat some of the kids in high school that were on the swim team, so I've always considered myself a good swimmer (famous words before drowning, I'm sure).

That said, I never "dive" into the water. I can, but I hate getting water in my ears so I just never do it.

Oh, and I turned this into a poll. Why not, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I like swimming,But I can't swim because the coach is too handsome !!! :p
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

General Mackevili wrote:I can swim. Ever since I can remember. Grew up in houses with a pool or relatives with pools. Family trips to the beaches too and was always allowed to swim anywhere I wanted.

I could beat some of the kids in high school that were on the swim team, so I've always considered myself a good swimmer (famous words before drowning, I'm sure).

That said, I never "dive" into the water. I can, but I hate getting water in my ears so I just never do it.

Oh, and I turned this into a poll. Why not, LoL.
Ha, Talk about spoilt rich kids, ,, The only pool I knew as a kid was a dirty puddle on the dirt road half a k from our house. [ if you could call it a house ] Hence , I never learnt to swim and still cannot swim.
I would even drown in a glass of beer.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic