Can you swim ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

CAN YOU SWIM?

YES
88%
NO
12%

Total votes: 26
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Can you swim ?

Post by OrangeDragon »

The swimming club over by toul kork offers it.
The one by the russian market offers it.

Not sure about any others... the only reason I know these do is because a) my wife attended one. and b) they were teaching it while i was swimming in the other pool at the other.

Honestly I suspect they all offer it, but that you have to actually ask about it... and probably in khmer. speaking khmer may also be needed for taking the class, as the instructor may not speak english.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Birdy wrote:Ask any Khmer kids who live by the river and they will say that Mum and Dad told them if you eat the end of the sugar cane(the sour bit) then you will be able to swim,no lessons required.
Seems scientific, must be legit.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

StroppyChops wrote:
Birdy wrote:Ask any Khmer kids who live by the river and they will say that Mum and Dad told them if you eat the end of the sugar cane(the sour bit) then you will be able to swim,no lessons required.
One more, we also were told that if we ate the tail of the fish we would be able to swim.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Samouth wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
One more, we also were told that if we ate the tail of the fish we would be able to swim.
But it's fresh-water fish for swimming in the river, and salt-water fish for swimming in the ocean, right?
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

StroppyChops wrote:
Samouth wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
But it's fresh-water fish for swimming in the river, and salt-water fish for swimming in the ocean, right?
Nope all kind of fish :). I ate a lot of fish tail but i still couldn't swim well.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Samouth wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Samouth wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Nope all kind of fish :). I ate a lot of fish tail but i still couldn't swim well.
That just shows you didn't eat the right sort of fish. :D
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

There are so many things that older people told us to do and not to do which were all wrong but for disciplining reason. i think i should write about them to share with you guys.

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Samouth wrote:i think i should write about them to share with you guys.
Please do! Parental discipline always leads to interesting discussion.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

StroppyChops wrote:
Samouth wrote:i think i should write about them to share with you guys.
Please do! Parental discipline always leads to interesting discussion.
Wow, sorry Stroppy Chop that i kept you waiting for so long.

Here are some false belief what they used to discipline us

1. They tell us to eat the end of sugar cane, so that we would be able to swim and also the tail of the fish. They teach us to respect old people and keep good stuff for them.

2. They tell us not to eat rich in the pot or rice cooker, as it would make us not to go further or would not be upgraded at school. They teach us to eat properly. Eating rice in the pot or rice cooker doesn't look good.

3. They tell us not to eat chicken or duck eggs there didn't hatch as it would make us not to go further or would not be upgraded at school. They don't want us to eat that egg because it is not healthy.

I think little salary might have something more to add. I will write more if i can think of other.

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Today i watched some swimming matches in london olympics 2012. it turned out that Americans are good swimmers. They are really really good. i wonder how many percent of American who can not swim.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic