Facebook versus Australia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Facebook versus Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:56 am The Australian government caused this mess. They wanted a way to funnel money from FB to Murdoch instead of giving them taxpayers' money directly. Why are they doing Murdoch's bidding? Oh yes, Murdoch owns them.
It appears that most, if not all of the sites, that have been blocked are ones that don't pay FB to post their propaganda on the site so FB are doing nothing wrong.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

When I post on FB a pic of my dinner plate from 4 years ago or my personal political views for example, I don't pay FB either to post my propaganda.. :tongue:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:56 am The Australian government caused this mess. They wanted a way to funnel money from FB to Murdoch instead of giving them taxpayers' money directly. Why are they doing Murdoch's bidding? Oh yes, Murdoch owns them.
agree 100% :thumb:
None of this should have been a surprise. Back in September we wrote about Facebook publicly saying that if Australia went forward with its ridiculous attack on the open internet, and instituted a "news link tax" on Facebook and Google, that it would block news links on Facebook in Australia... and basically everyone ignored it. So, yesterday, when Facebook announced that it was no longer allowing news to be shared in Australia (and relatedly, no longer allowing the sharing of Australian news services on Facebook), it should not have been a surprise.

And yet... it seemed to make tons of people freak out for all the wrong reasons. Almost everyone started blaming and attacking Facebook. And, look, I get it, Facebook is a terrible, terrible company and deserves lots of blame for lots of bad things that it does. But this ain't it. There are a lot of examples of this, but because he's the top member of the House of Representatives working on antitrust issues, I'll specifically call out Rep. David Cicilline's response:

it is not already clear, Facebook is not compatible with democracy.

Threatening to bring an entire country to its knees to agree to Facebook’s terms is the ultimate admission of monopoly power.

But that's completely nonsensical. We can argue about whether or not Facebook is "compatible with democracy" but the simple facts of the situation are that Australia -- pushed heavily by Rupert Murdoch -- has decided to put in place a plan to tax Google and Facebook for any links to news. The bill has all sorts of problems, but there are two huge ones that should concern basically anyone who supports a free and open internet.
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20210 ... vMpP_sic2A
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Excellent link from techdirt. Thanks, Richard
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:36 pm When I post on FB a pic of my dinner plate from 4 years ago or my personal political views for example, I don't pay FB either to post my propaganda.. :tongue:
It appears that most, if not all of the sites, that have been blocked are ones that don't pay FB to post their propaganda on the site so FB are doing nothing wrong.

Note, I was referring to commercial sites , not yabbos that want to tell the world what they had for dinner.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

There is a move to apply Anti-trust laws to BigTech in their domicile, the USA.
That is where i hold the biggest hope - IF the Biden admin has the balls to take them on.

It would be bloody. They need to be completely dismembered - drawn and quartered and the seperate butchered pieces dragged to the four different corners of the town square. So to speak.
And for sure they would fight back dirty and squeal like stuck pigs all they way . Their whole biz model and personal self image depends on gaining total control.

4 or 5 geeks have got us all by the balls and are now squeezing.
How tf did it get to this?

PS - Go Australia! stay strong.
Sure, they are doing Murdoch's bidding, but it is still an excellent fight to pick.

Make no mistake, Mark FacePox Beezlebum will not back down. Oz is nothing to him.
On the other hand, the precedent of an independent or government arbiter having ultimate control of ANY part of his operations scares the living daylights out of him. He knows the world is watching this legislation closely.
(that's the crux of this particular battle)
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

If those new rules that Australia want to apply to FB were applied to CEO, then this forum would be paying for regurgitating news from other news sources , probably with the intent of those $$ going to the original reporter of the story.. I would assume that this CEO forum would delete advertising from commercial operators unless they were paid for. Why should FB be different to those rules.

Note, I am not a FB user and don't care wtf they do.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cam.O'Dear wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:57 am
clutchcargo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:36 pm When I post on FB a pic of my dinner plate from 4 years ago or my personal political views for example, I don't pay FB either to post my propaganda.. :tongue:

Note, I was referring to commercial sites , not yabbos that want to tell the world what they had for dinner.
Yes, I was being a bit facetious there. But to be serious..

When you say 'commercial site' I think of a business in the business of making money and I think they should pay for advertising their products.

On the other hand, I see government agencies as providing a public service. They are not in the business of making money..rather, reaching out to the public regarding their services. Not the same thing in my book, although, if for example they are promoting a product or service to benefit the public...is that advertising? Is that news?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic