Facebook versus Australia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Facebook versus Australia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From FB video:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Facebook is best left to cat videos and the like.
Also very good for selling dried Krabei meat, skin whitening cream and high shoe.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Facebook is 'schoolyard bully' in Australia news row, says UK media boss
Trade group chairman says robust regulation is needed to rein in monopolistic tech firms
Amanda Meade in Sydney and agencies
Thu 18 Feb 2021 15.05 GMT
Facebook’s move to block all media content in Australia shows why countries need robust regulation to stop tech firms behaving like a “schoolyard bully”, the head of the UK’s news media trade group has said.

Henry Faure Walker, the chair of the News Media Association, said Facebook’s ban during a pandemic was “a classic example of a monopoly power being the schoolyard bully, trying to protect its dominant position with scant regard for the citizens and customers it supposedly serves”.

Australians have been blocked from viewing or sharing news on the social network in an escalation of a row over whether Facebook should have to pay media companies for displaying their content.

Overnight on Wednesday Facebook – which is used by 18 million Australians – prevented the sharing of news and wiped clean the pages of media companies, including the public broadcaster’s television, radio and non-news pages. Government pages – including on bushfires, mental health, emergency services and even meteorology – were also blocked, as were community, women’s health and domestic violence support pages.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... media-boss
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The ultimate unfriending.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

This is another example of governments sticking their noses in other companies businesses.
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Woody »

Personally I don't give a flying f**k about FB for my news sources, I go to trusted my trusted ones
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Woody wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:12 am Personally I don't give a flying f**k about FB for my news sources, I go to trusted my trusted ones
Exactly. One wonders why the government doesn't have other effective avenues. It's their own fault for being so reliant on a known-to-be dodgy SV tech giant.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

siliconlife wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:37 am
Woody wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:12 am Personally I don't give a flying f**k about FB for my news sources, I go to trusted my trusted ones
Exactly. One wonders why the government doesn't have other effective avenues. It's their own fault for being so reliant on a known-to-be dodgy SV tech giant.
Government agencies do of course have other channels to reach out to clients but in my view FB has become so insidious and pervasive in the community they felt the need to add another social media channel. And then once a few got on board, I imagine other agencies probably felt they had to follow suit to 'keep up with the times'.

It's funny coz a lot of my friends in Australia are turning off posting on FB yet here in Cambodia it seems to be the No1 social media channel for khmers.. The other day, Mrs Cargo asked me to look up some info on the internet and said 'can you look it up on FB'. She sure doesn't use google. lol
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:16 am
Government agencies do of course have other channels to reach out to clients but in my view FB has become so insidious and pervasive in the community they felt the need to add another social media channel. And then once a few got on board, I imagine other agencies probably felt they had to follow suit to 'keep up with the times'.

It's funny coz a lot of my friends in Australia are turning off posting on FB yet here in Cambodia it seems to be the No1 social media channel for khmers.. The other day, Mrs Cargo asked me to look up some info on the internet and said 'can you look it up on FB'. She sure doesn't use google. lol
Yeah, my wife is the same. One time she asked me what google was for, then when I explained said "Why don't you just use FB?" I'm not sure she still full understands what the point of a search engine is.

Perhaps I'm becoming conservative, but I think it is government's responsibility to not regulate but at least make efforts to curb people's dependency on social media, particularly FB. Definitely some old suits trying to stay hip making decisions while typing away with one finger up there.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

The Australian government caused this mess. They wanted a way to funnel money from FB to Murdoch instead of giving them taxpayers' money directly. Why are they doing Murdoch's bidding? Oh yes, Murdoch owns them.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic