Can I cross the border and quarantine in Poipet?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chrisjones
Expatriate

Can I cross the border and quarantine in Poipet?

Post by chrisjones »

Hi I have been teaching in Thailand four years now I have a job offer in Cambodia. I know I have to quarantine two weeks there and want to know if I can cross the border and quarantine in Poipet. I prefer to not fly. Thank you.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Can I cross the border and quarantine in Poipet?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

No. All land borders remain closed to foreigners. (With the exception of those who obtain approval from relevant authorities in both countries ie. Those requiring emergency medical treatment, etc)

You will have to fly, and considering there are currently no direct flights between Thailand and Cambodia, apart from the once a month charter flights been organised through Este Travel, you will need to take the scenic route via Singapore (if possible), or South Korea.

The issuing of T-type (Tourist) Visas, e-Visas (electronic online Tourist Visa), Visa exempt entry (ASEAN passport holders) and ALL Visas on Arrival remains suspended.

The only Visa available to General foreigners is the E-type (Ordinary/Business) Visa, and this can only be obtained in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate with the necessary employment/business related supporting documentation.

For the most comprehensive, current and accurate information and advice on current entry requirements and restrictions, please follow the Cambodia Visa and Work Permit Group on Farcebook.
chrisjones
Expatriate

Post by chrisjones »

What if I get a letter from a doctor here saying it’s medically not advisable for me to fly? Thailand has quarantine facilities in Aranyaprathet for border crossers and truck drivers there should be something similar right over the border in Cambodia.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

chrisjones wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:50 pm What if I get a letter from a doctor here saying it’s medically not advisable for me to fly? Thailand has quarantine facilities in Aranyaprathet for border crossers and truck drivers there should be something similar right over the border in Cambodia.
And showing letter to who? As stated above foreigners can only fly in.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Do you "not prefer" or is it medically documented that you shouldn't fly ?

Expect the customs to ask you "oh so how did you come to Thailand ? " Pretty sure you went by plane

3rd solution : swim / hike a boat : but i guess same visa issue on arrival.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

chrisjones wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:50 pm What if I get a letter from a doctor here saying it’s medically not advisable for me to fly? Thailand has quarantine facilities in Aranyaprathet for border crossers and truck drivers there should be something similar right over the border in Cambodia.
I would think you would need to approach the Cambodian embassy in Thailand for such approval beforehand.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes, there are quarantine centres in the border towns, extremely basic makeshift facilities.

You need approval from both countries relevant Ministries...Health, Foreign Affairs and Immigration Departments. Not a simple task, but possible.... whether a doctors not would cut it though I highly doubt.

But c'mon, be honest, you just can't afford the flights right, nothing to do with a medical condition?
chrisjones
Expatriate

Post by chrisjones »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 pm Yes, there are quarantine centres in the border towns, extremely basic makeshift facilities.

You need approval from both countries relevant Ministries...Health, Foreign Affairs and Immigration Departments. Not a simple task, but possible.... whether a doctors not would cut it though I highly doubt.

But c'mon, be honest, you just can't afford the flights right, nothing to do with a medical condition?
That’s an unfair comment how could I get a letter from a doctor if I just couldn’t afford to fly?

I suffer from bipolar disorder well controlled with medication and have severe anxiety about flying. Yes I flew most of the way to Thailand but I was medicated for that and my wife flew with me and helped a great deal because I still had outbursts on the flight. We are no longer together I will come to Cambodia alone.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

chrisjones wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:15 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 pm Yes, there are quarantine centres in the border towns, extremely basic makeshift facilities.

That’s an unfair comment how could I get a letter from a doctor if I just couldn’t afford to fly?

I suffer from bipolar disorder well controlled with medication and have severe anxiety about flying. Yes I flew most of the way to Thailand but I was medicated for that and my wife flew with me and helped a great deal because I still had outbursts on the flight. We are no longer together I will come to Cambodia alone.
Your post count suggests that you've not read the forum much. The comment is plenty fair once you've read the forum a little and see what sort of dodgy, sketchy, and flakey characters there are in both Thailand and Cambodia, and points beyond.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

chrisjones wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:15 pm

Dude, stay in Thailand for fucks' sake. There are much better medical facilities there. The Cambodian mental health system consists of some dubious "rehabilitation" centers packed with beggars, streetwalkers, druggies and neer-do-wells. Or just the streets, normal prison, or in the best case having a family who cares enough about you to keep you locked on a chain under the house. I'm not even joking. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic