Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
obelisks
Expatriate
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:58 pm
Reputation: 18
Australia

Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by obelisks » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:11 pm

I just wondered if there is anyone here that has experienced travelling on the Sorya company bus between Phnom Penh and Pakse in Laos?
I want to do a round trip journey flying from Bangkok to Phnom Penh then on this bus journey and onto Savvanakhet then back to Bangkok.
I am already familiar with the bus service from Savvanakhet back through Thailand which I've done before.
The journey from Phnom Penh to Pakse on Sorya is about 12 hours leaving at 6.45AM and I would imagine as long as you have a designated seat it wouldn’t be too bad?
The kind of thing I wonder about is should I get visa for Laos in Phnom Penh or just get a visa on arrival at the border but sometimes these international bus services don't often give people much time for Visa applications at immigration border checkpoints?
Any comments would be appreciated
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 15792
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Reputation: 1175
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by General Mackevili » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:20 pm

I've done the trip on Sorya Bus from Phnom Penh to 4,000 Islands. I believe it's the same bus, I just get off earlier.

I think that trip will take you a lot more than 12 hours.

When I bought the ticket the agency told me I could buy the visa from them or at the border. I think they quoted me $50.

It was different for some western nationalities. I paid about that at the border and it was done through the bus company. I don't remember there being enough time to do it yourself.

And that was the most expensive bus ticket I've ever bought, and it was also the only bus I ever missed (because my alarm didn't go off). Agency laughed at me when I had to go back that same day to buy the same ticket again for the following day.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 8478
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 838
Tokelau

Re: Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by Anchor Moy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:29 am

For the visa, there are 3 alternatives: Embassy, give passport to bus guys, do-it-yourself on arrival.

The most hassle-free way would probably be to get your visa from the Embassy. I have never done this, but I imagine that it would avoid all the haggling at the border.
Or if you don't mind paying $10 or more extra, the guys on the bus will organise it for you - and that will include all bribes. If you do mind, then be prepared for negotiation and confrontation with the bus guys, since they make a lot of money off the visas. If you get your own visa on arrival you will also have to dish out $1 or $2 "stamp fees" to immigration on both sides, plus a special "health tax", also $1. Even if you get your visa beforehand you will have to pay "stamp fee".

I have only been through on minivans so have always done it myself. Sometimes no problem, sometimes problem.As far as I know, everyone gets there in the end. 8)

http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-a ... ml#visafee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Visa on Arrival Fee

Below is a list of visa fee for different countries. If your country is not on the list, it probably costs you $US30 to get the visa or you're not eligible for getting Laos visa on arrival. Click here to check if you are in the "NOT eligible" list.
Country Price (US Dollar)
Australia 30
Canada 42
China 20
India 40
Sweden 31
USA 35
UK 35
Others 30
obelisks
Expatriate
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:58 pm
Reputation: 18
Australia

Re: Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by obelisks » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:50 pm

General Mackevili wrote:I've done the trip on Sorya Bus from Phnom Penh to 4,000 Islands. I believe it's the same bus, I just get off earlier.

I think that trip will take you a lot more than 12 hours.

When I bought the ticket the agency told me I could buy the visa from them or at the border. I think they quoted me $50.

It was different for some western nationalities. I paid about that at the border and it was done through the bus company. I don't remember there being enough time to do it yourself.

And that was the most expensive bus ticket I've ever bought, and it was also the only bus I ever missed (because my alarm didn't go off). Agency laughed at me when I had to go back that same day to buy the same ticket again for the following day.

thanks
I think I will get my Visa in Phnom Penh at the embassy before I go.
And when you say it will take about more than 12 hours the most I have seen quoted is 13 hours so how much longer do you reckon it's going to take? And presumably there are stops along the way?
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 15792
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Reputation: 1175
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by General Mackevili » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 pm

I just remember it being a few hours longer than quoted. I guess that's to be expected.

I thought it was a beautiful ride though.

Got off the bus shortly after crossing into Laos, jumped on some weird giant looking Tuk-Tuk thingy which took us to a small port where we caught long tail boats to an island right at sunset.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
obelisks
Expatriate
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:58 pm
Reputation: 18
Australia

Re: Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by obelisks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:08 am

General Mackevili wrote:I just remember it being a few hours longer than quoted. I guess that's to be expected.

I thought it was a beautiful ride though.

Got off the bus shortly after crossing into Laos, jumped on some weird giant looking Tuk-Tuk thingy which took us to a small port where we caught long tail boats to an island right at sunset.

so it's a comfortable bus? And is the road itself okay?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 8478
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 838
Tokelau

Re: Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by Anchor Moy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:14 pm

obelisks wrote:
so it's a comfortable bus? And is the road itself okay?
Obelisks, it's a Sorya bus and a cambodian road, so be prepared.
It's a long trip - just be zen - you'll get there eventually. There are stops to eat and pee.

(I think there is a thread about bus trips from hell here somewhere. There's sure to be a story about a Sorya bus :evil: )

Let us know how it goes.
User avatar
General Mackevili
GONK
Posts: 15792
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm
Reputation: 1175
Location: The Kingdom
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by General Mackevili » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:17 pm

obelisks wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:I just remember it being a few hours longer than quoted. I guess that's to be expected.

I thought it was a beautiful ride though.

Got off the bus shortly after crossing into Laos, jumped on some weird giant looking Tuk-Tuk thingy which took us to a small port where we caught long tail boats to an island right at sunset.

so it's a comfortable bus? And is the road itself okay?
Damn, it was a while ago.

I seem to recall the bus being a regular Sorya bus, which is nothing to write home about.

I would imagine the road conditions change every few weeks, but I think it took a while too get out of town, then smooth sailing further up north.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
MekongMouse
Expatriate
Posts: 1264
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:17 pm
Reputation: 2

Re: Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by MekongMouse » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:44 am

Nothing to write home about is the polite way of putting it.
obelisks
Expatriate
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:58 pm
Reputation: 18
Australia

Re: Sorya company bus to Pakse in Laos

Post by obelisks » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:57 am

Anchor Moy wrote:
obelisks wrote:
so it's a comfortable bus? And is the road itself okay?
Obelisks, it's a Sorya bus and a cambodian road, so be prepared.
It's a long trip - just be zen - you'll get there eventually. There are stops to eat and pee.

(I think there is a thread about bus trips from hell here somewhere. There's sure to be a story about a Sorya bus :evil: )

Let us know how it goes.
just saying" it's a Sorya bus "means nothing to me because I don't live in Cambodia
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests