Overseas Bank

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Overseas Bank

Post by Ong Tay »

I am glad to read things have been sorted. Your situation has indeed prompted me to have a look at my accounts to ensure that there are ways I can be easily contacted if need be.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

This is more than 1 paragraph, so if you have attention disorders, go here>
topic30352.html

Andy

It’s the first time that I’ve read this thread, but some of the shenanigans are painfully familiar. Especially, when you mentioned Halifax. These clowns cost me many sleepless nights many years ago. In fact, they still impose on my life despite having not banked with them for nigh on 9 years.

The Big problem with many businesses, Banks especially
It’s not what they do when things are going well, but what they can’t do when things don’t go as planned. I have a figure in mind of 95%. I’ve no idea what it might truly be; it’s just my notional figure. 95% of the time, their methods and procedures have no real problems, and any small issues are easily resolved in a quick phone call. And everyone seems content. 95% of the time.
95% of the time, there’s no problem.
But as mentioned earlier by another postee, it’s when they run out of script (or intelligence, training, or authority) and the easiest thing is to pass the problem on to someone else. A change in the banking app, that inadvertently required you to update your security details. But which can’t be done from overseas.
Banks play the international game while things are running smoothly, but then they get all fixated on rigid geographical ideas when the problem doesn’t fall inside the parameters that their procedures normally work within. Like fixed landlines. Like sending out new cards to your registered address, even though you are overseas Whalen the card stopped working, or mistakenly got flagged and blocked. ‘Oh, just go to one of our ATMs, and enter your PIN number, blah blah blah.’ You’ll have to do it when you return to the UK. It doesn’t figure in the thinking of the people who defined their processes that you might not be there for some considerable time.

Fixed landline. I get the reason why this is so, and why they think it’s a point of security. But they fail to appreciate that outside of their own national borders, it’s a very different world. It’s a crutch that they have. But they fail to appreciate that in many parts of the world, people simply don’t have a fixed landline. The irony goes one stage further- they’re likely talking to you via telephone systems that are entirely run through computer systems, with not a fixed line in sight.

The real difficulty in resolving problems such as the one that you have experienced, (as have I) is that their procedures have never been properly tested to make sure that they actually work. That they are fit for purpose. All of this making notes for feedback that is done on your and my behalf is part of the process, but unless it’s acted upon, nothing much changes. (My 95% figure again). For most of the problems that are encountered, the procedures work. So nothing needs to be fixed. But the problems that go unresolved for long periods of time are usually quite stressful- to you, me, the other poor sod. Complex problems that are outside the 95% norm.
The company treat it as a first occurrence every time you contact them, though. It matters not a jot that you may actually be relaying the story for the umpteenth time today, and have been dealing with the issue for many days, or even weeks.

I don’t actually bank with Halifax anymore (it was HBOS at the time that I had issues with them.) Nearly 3 years of unravelling the mess that they made. I got a large refund of monies that were part of the payment protection furore at the time. I still have an account with them, though. A mistake that they made. It maintains a 0.00 balance in my favour. It can’t be closed, because I’m no longer a customer! They can’t issue a card to go with it...because I’m no longer a customer. They maintain it, issue statements by post, have increased the credit limit. They don’t have a process to deal with it, because it falls outside of their normal processes. It’s been unused since inception, for 8 or 9 years.

I had similar problems with HSBC Canada. If you think UK banking is fucked up when dealing with issues, you’ll not want to deal with this lot. I closed all of my accounts with them in 2018, in utter disgust. They technically owed me about $30. I’d have to go into my local branch to activate my new bank card, and pick up the cheque for $30? At the time that I opened the account, I was briefly living in a suburb of Montreal. I lived somewhere else in Quebec for the rest of the time, and hadn’t been back to Canada (since 2014) when I closed the accounts. They happily changed my registered address, by telephone call because the system only allows (allowed) postal codes in Canadian format, online. You could set your home address to anywhere in the world, but the postal code had to be in Canadian format.
The US uses numeric zipcodes. The UK uses alpha numeric codes similar to, but not the same as Canadian. As a result, on a frequent basis, I’d be invited to go into the local branch to resolve a query that they had. That local branch being in Montreal. Being in Bangladesh, the Middle East, south East Asia or the UK didn’t figure in their needs. Their processes are designed around the 95% (my figure) of their customer base, and didn’t cater for the 5% who might well be remote from their local branch for 95% of the time. They couldn’t even make a customer call outside of North America, because their system didn’t allow for it. They refunded me a large amount of money on calls that I made, and I used Skype a lot. But if they don’t really know how to communicate, as a great many people don’t, then there’s a gaping hole in the process before you even start.

But that’s ok. Just pop into your local branch. Or get a friend to help you out until you come back. :please:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog thanks for your reply and response, it certainly can turn quickly in to a bigger problem when you're blocked from your own money that you obviously need to live, more so when you reside in a foreign country far from the land you once came from. But, I could say at the time I felt my bank wa a safe place to leave my savings, then transfer an amount of money to the bank account I have here for living expenses.
I have banked with the Halifax for a long time, also got my mortgage with them. I actually came up against, what I would call stupid problems at one stage with them. For one I got to the later stage of my mortgage, the bank was insisting that I should now pay twice the amount that I was paying monthly. I refused, with saying if I wanted to just pay the total sum I had left on the balance of the house I would do it that way by paying one payment, but for now I am paying the agreed monthly amount required by yourselves on the agreement of the mortgage payments. Next I was told they was going to reassess my mortgage with them, and now they found problems with my name on the deeds. I lost money working by having time off to go to another branch and sort this problem, only to be told after waiting for my appointment that the manager would have to re-schedule the appointment because he came over sick and had to leave urgently. In the end I contacted a solicitor, who informed me that there are no problems with my deeds nor mortgage.
I did consider other banks that may be suitable for my needs overseas. But on money overseas transfer's the Halifax still was the better value.
Since I have had no problems with access of my account, the problem did seem to be after I submitted my new Cambodian telephone number, with them saying that they could not get the country code in their system.
But, that is no excuse why they put me through so much shit for a week, and the loss of my money calling them to receive that shit and one or two sleepless nights.
Don't get me wrong because I should have made a counter plan just in case. But sometimes when things go so smoothly over a period of years, you can find yourself a little complext.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:33 pm This is more than 1 paragraph, so if you have attention disorders, go here>
topic30352.html

Andy

It’s the first time that I’ve read this thread, but some of the shenanigans are painfully familiar. Especially, when you mentioned Halifax. These clowns cost me many sleepless nights many years ago. In fact, they still impose on my life despite having not banked with them for nigh on 9 years.

The Big problem with many businesses, Banks especially
It’s not what they do when things are going well, but what they can’t do when things don’t go as planned. I have a figure in mind of 95%. I’ve no idea what it might truly be; it’s just my notional figure. 95% of the time, their methods and procedures have no real problems, and any small issues are easily resolved in a quick phone call. And everyone seems content. 95% of the time.
95% of the time, there’s no problem.
But as mentioned earlier by another postee, it’s when they run out of script (or intelligence, training, or authority) and the easiest thing is to pass the problem on to someone else. A change in the banking app, that inadvertently required you to update your security details. But which can’t be done from overseas.
Banks play the international game while things are running smoothly, but then they get all fixated on rigid geographical ideas when the problem doesn’t fall inside the parameters that their procedures normally work within. Like fixed landlines. Like sending out new cards to your registered address, even though you are overseas Whalen the card stopped working, or mistakenly got flagged and blocked. ‘Oh, just go to one of our ATMs, and enter your PIN number, blah blah blah.’ You’ll have to do it when you return to the UK. It doesn’t figure in the thinking of the people who defined their processes that you might not be there for some considerable time.

Fixed landline. I get the reason why this is so, and why they think it’s a point of security. But they fail to appreciate that outside of their own national borders, it’s a very different world. It’s a crutch that they have. But they fail to appreciate that in many parts of the world, people simply don’t have a fixed landline. The irony goes one stage further- they’re likely talking to you via telephone systems that are entirely run through computer systems, with not a fixed line in sight.

The real difficulty in resolving problems such as the one that you have experienced, (as have I) is that their procedures have never been properly tested to make sure that they actually work. That they are fit for purpose. All of this making notes for feedback that is done on your and my behalf is part of the process, but unless it’s acted upon, nothing much changes. (My 95% figure again). For most of the problems that are encountered, the procedures work. So nothing needs to be fixed. But the problems that go unresolved for long periods of time are usually quite stressful- to you, me, the other poor sod. Complex problems that are outside the 95% norm.
The company treat it as a first occurrence every time you contact them, though. It matters not a jot that you may actually be relaying the story for the umpteenth time today, and have been dealing with the issue for many days, or even weeks.

I don’t actually bank with Halifax anymore (it was HBOS at the time that I had issues with them.) Nearly 3 years of unravelling the mess that they made. I got a large refund of monies that were part of the payment protection furore at the time. I still have an account with them, though. A mistake that they made. It maintains a 0.00 balance in my favour. It can’t be closed, because I’m no longer a customer! They can’t issue a card to go with it...because I’m no longer a customer. They maintain it, issue statements by post, have increased the credit limit. They don’t have a process to deal with it, because it falls outside of their normal processes. It’s been unused since inception, for 8 or 9 years.

I had similar problems with HSBC Canada. If you think UK banking is fucked up when dealing with issues, you’ll not want to deal with this lot. I closed all of my accounts with them in 2018, in utter disgust. They technically owed me about $30. I’d have to go into my local branch to activate my new bank card, and pick up the cheque for $30? At the time that I opened the account, I was briefly living in a suburb of Montreal. I lived somewhere else in Quebec for the rest of the time, and hadn’t been back to Canada (since 2014) when I closed the accounts. They happily changed my registered address, by telephone call because the system only allows (allowed) postal codes in Canadian format, online. You could set your home address to anywhere in the world, but the postal code had to be in Canadian format.
The US uses numeric zipcodes. The UK uses alpha numeric codes similar to, but not the same as Canadian. As a result, on a frequent basis, I’d be invited to go into the local branch to resolve a query that they had. That local branch being in Montreal. Being in Bangladesh, the Middle East, south East Asia or the UK didn’t figure in their needs. Their processes are designed around the 95% (my figure) of their customer base, and didn’t cater for the 5% who might well be remote from their local branch for 95% of the time. They couldn’t even make a customer call outside of North America, because their system didn’t allow for it. They refunded me a large amount of money on calls that I made, and I used Skype a lot. But if they don’t really know how to communicate, as a great many people don’t, then there’s a gaping hole in the process before you even start.

But that’s ok. Just pop into your local branch. Or get a friend to help you out until you come back. :please:
Most of these problems are because they are geared up for UK residents only. If you tell them you live in Cambodia and want to open a new account with, say Barclays, you can't. The accounts are for UK residents only. If you are living in another country you can open one of their offshore accounts in Jersey - all the major UK banks have branches there. However, I looked into having an account there with Barclays (being a customer with them in the UK).

For the fancy pants International Bank Account (min £25 balance or £40 a month in fees) or just a basic Jersey based account (I am not sure this would solve all your problems anyway) you get as far as page 1. Cambodia? No! That grey list has real implications for the little guy.

If you have a passive income in the UK that you send here regularly, you need to keep very quiet to your UK bank about where you actually live. Travelling for three months is ok, but for a year...maybe not. Being away for 3 years is a no-no.

This is only going to get worse as and when they do their occasional 'know your customer' sweep, you'll be getting an invite to come into the branch and refresh your I.D.'s . They tried that with me last year and I ignored them, but I will definitely do it this year. It's been over 10 years since the last time and my number will come up eventually for attention. Better to get it done when I am in the UK than deal with an account block when here.

I never EVER use my Barclays debit card here, that's just asking for trouble. I pay for lots of things with the account (property maintenance for example) and other bills through the app and try to create a little bit of activity on the account. It looks normal enough for a small business account. Last year they even started calling me offering me a bounce-back' loan ( I was so tempted) so they are unaware of what's really going on. I am 3.5 years in and so far no problems. But I always have cash in my account here, I am never dependent on Barclays.

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

i opened a new account with Starling Bank (UK) from the comfort of Palais de Spigz du Cambodge just last week. I registered under a relative's address in the UK which is where the card was sent - once I got the numbers off that two days later, I could confirm the account and it is now up and running.

I used to work for Barclays at HQ, superb traditional bank in my honest opinion - but these newcomers like Starling are going to eat their cake rapidly. The app itself is just superb, makes banks apps here look like something designed in the 90s.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic