Overseas Bank

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Overseas Bank

Post by AndyKK »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:11 am Holy Schmoly, batman.

As I read through all that, I kept thinking that you were getting nowhere and were just repeating what we already know.

Then finally we get to the very last paragraph, and can finally jump for joy!

Andy, please confirm that I have read that correctly. You've got your money and all is well (more or less)?
Yes I confirm with relief that I have access to my account once more and I have transferred an amount to keep me sometime, also it's not over because I am deciding what are my best interests just now.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:43 am

As I read through all that, I kept thinking that you were getting nowhere and were just repeating what we already know.

Andy, please confirm that I have read that correctly. You've got your money and all is well (more or less)?
Yes I confirm with relief that I have access to my account once more and I have transferred an amount to keep me sometime, also it's not over because I am deciding what are my best interests just now.
Perhaps a chunk of $$ in Canada bank earning 5% rather than sitting in england getting nothing
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:36 am Glad you eventually got it sorted. I would still take the precaution of changing your password (again). Do it from a laptop and by typing in the bank's URL and not via a link from your email or anywhere. I take it there were no suspicious transactions?
I have the password changed, no transactions since I sent money here about a year or so back, seems it was because they couldn't get the country code in the system. But that is down to them. No need to block me from my account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:47 am

Perhaps a chunk of $$ in Canada bank earning 5% rather than sitting in england getting nothing
I have two bank accounts here, so yes. My interest in the UK is 0.05%
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

Disturbing that the bank can't render help but I'm sure it has to do with mitigating any potential risk of fraudsters pretending to be you.

I once required a translation of my German bank account's statement certified as a true and correct translation from German to English in support of a visa application for Japan. The German embassy very helpfully certified it for a small fee. I'm sure they could have intervened if the situation were identical to yours but only to a limited extent, that I'm sure of.

Always good to have a backup plan. A Skype number you can be reached at globally with enough credit for long emergency calls (knowing banks often keep one on hold for ages before being helped), plus a Google voice number as secondary backup because such numbers reliably route calls and also forward life-saving SMS messages (such as 2FA codes) to one's gmail. I use the term life-saving because local mobile services often block spam-like SMSs of foreign origin. Credits do not expire. My G-Voice account has had $45 sitting on it for years

Be sure to link the Skype number to your bank account. It's truly a life-saving measure. Banks obstinately rely on information stored within their systems and they won't deviate from that time-tested practice. Their anti-fraud people are trained to robotically ignore desperate pleas from customers to make an exception to their rules.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Set up one (or 2) of the newer purely app based banks such as monzo, starling, revolut etc.

Also get a transfer wise account for both transfers and to leave some money in there.

All accounts are part of the govt fscs 85k protection and can be set up while abroad.

Next time your back in the uk set up a more traditional bank (I’d recommend Barclays as they have good overseas help from my experience)

Only issue would be getting your card out here, but if only using it for transfers and keeping safe then shouldn’t be a problem.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 am Yesterday morning my Son went to my hometown bank branch where I opened and have my account. Trying to at least get some answers to the problem. He did manage to see the manger, putting on his mobile with me on the line, so the manger could talk to me. They refused, my Son made the manager aware of what situation I was now in. It seems that it makes little difference because the manger said it is out of their hands and I have to call the number of the call center because they are handling it. My Son also asked why I have no access to my account, manager replied that they didn't know and if I rang the number they would answer my questions. I said too my Son I get the same response like he was getting , when I call the number they are talking about.
Can't your son advance you some money by Western Union or MoneyGram or Ria, knowing you're in a financially difficult situation?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

What Canada bank is offering 5%? Or do you mean Canadia Bank?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:52 am

Congratulations Andy! I'm glad you finally got it solved. That must have been tough.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:10 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:52 am

Congratulations Andy! I'm glad you finally got it solved. That must have been tough.
Thanks for your kind words daeum_tnaot, also too all the other posters who offered their advice on a very unexpected situation. That's the reason I posted the thread, to obviously see if anyone else have been in this position. Yes, I too was hoping for advice or even an answer to my new problem, but not only this, I wanted to put up the thread to just bring a little awareness to each of us, banking, and that of our own countries banks maybe extremely important to us, being that it is likely the connection of how we start to support ourselves has being that of a group of expats living in the Kingdom of Wonder.
I have to say I never saw, nor expected this problem coming my way, I thought The bank was a good choice, with a overseas transfer service that had an easy transfer and low cost to do so, but none of this is any use, and you may not get any reassurance if one day you find yourself unable to access your account.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic