Overseas Bank

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Overseas Bank

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Marty wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:57 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:47 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 am Yesterday morning my Son went to my hometown bank branch where I opened and have my account. Trying to at least get some answers to the problem. He did manage to see the manger, putting on his mobile with me on the line, so the manger could talk to me. They refused, my Son made the manager aware of what situation I was now in. It seems that it makes little difference because the manger said it is out of their hands and I have to call the number of the call center because they are handling it. My Son also asked why I have no access to my account, manager replied that they didn't know and if I rang the number they would answer my questions. I said too my Son I get the same response like he was getting , when I call the number they are talking about.
As I mentioned, I once had a problem with a similar kind of account- the company would not allow me to transfer the money out of my account.

I contacted the financial regulator in my country. Even though he said he normally only helps elderly people, he took my case anyway. He contacted them and finally I was able to transfer money out of my account.

Financial regulators exist for cases like yours- to prevent the private sector from abusing people.

Again, has anyone at the bank ever told you the reason why they won't allow you to withdraw or transfer your money? This is a crucial part of the story.

I'm not sure about the law in the UK in terms of the amount of damages that you can claim, but I would think that you have strong grounds for a lawsuit against your bank.
Yes the bank is concerned that this is some sort of scam and ripoff.
Do you know that for a fact? Has AndyKK actually said that? I don't remember AndyKK ever reporting what the bank people have told him.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:03 pm
Marty wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:57 pm
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:47 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 am Yesterday morning my Son went to my hometown bank branch where I opened and have my account. Trying to at least get some answers to the problem. He did manage to see the manger, putting on his mobile with me on the line, so the manger could talk to me. They refused, my Son made the manager aware of what situation I was now in. It seems that it makes little difference because the manger said it is out of their hands and I have to call the number of the call center because they are handling it. My Son also asked why I have no access to my account, manager replied that they didn't know and if I rang the number they would answer my questions. I said too my Son I get the same response like he was getting , when I call the number they are talking about.
As I mentioned, I once had a problem with a similar kind of account- the company would not allow me to transfer the money out of my account.

I contacted the financial regulator in my country. Even though he said he normally only helps elderly people, he took my case anyway. He contacted them and finally I was able to transfer money out of my account.

Financial regulators exist for cases like yours- to prevent the private sector from abusing people.

Again, has anyone at the bank ever told you the reason why they won't allow you to withdraw or transfer your money? This is a crucial part of the story.

I'm not sure about the law in the UK in terms of the amount of damages that you can claim, but I would think that you have strong grounds for a lawsuit against your bank.
Yes the bank is concerned that this is some sort of scam and ripoff.
Do you know that for a fact? Has AndyKK actually said that? I don't remember AndyKK ever reporting what the bank people have told him.
Well only Andy knows what is involved. Let's let him give the details here. The bank is trying to protect itself though. Definitely.
Powaline_Digi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Powaline_Digi »

Andy, is this still going? What are you doing for food & beer?
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Powaline_Digi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:51 pm Andy, is this still going? What are you doing for food & beer?
Never mind the food. Beer makes a perfectly balanced and healthy diet. I hope he had a beer fund for emergencies just like this one. There is always GoFundMe, but I hope it don't come to that. Contributors are fickle and you never know if you'll have enough donations for enough beer.
Powaline_Digi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Powaline_Digi »

Andy have you thought about starting a GoFundMe page?

https://www.gofundme.com/
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Marty wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:21 pm
Powaline_Digi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:51 pm Andy, is this still going? What are you doing for food & beer?
Never mind the food. Beer makes a perfectly balanced and healthy diet. I hope he had a beer fund for emergencies just like this one. There is always GoFundMe, but I hope it don't come to that. Contributors are fickle and you never know if you'll have enough donations for enough beer.
Beer has food value but food has no beer value
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 am I just had a look and the nationwide freebie offer has been removed. It is very easy to change accounts online the whole thing takes 7 days and comes with a guarantee from the official banking people. All your regular outgoings and incomings are sorted, direct debits, pension, wages the lot. If they fuck up they give you compensation. However I am pretty sure you need a UK address where they send the card. Also i think they do a credit check so maybe you need to be on the elector register and they ask how long you have lived at your present address.
It was years ago that I opened a nationwide account, and the reason for doing so, was that of their offer, free money transfers from the UK to Thailand. It made good sense at the time because I was spending quite sometime over in the land of smiles. But I never got to use the service because they stopped the offer soon after I opened the account.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Powaline_Digi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:26 pm Andy have you thought about starting a GoFundMe page?

https://www.gofundme.com/
Now why would I do such a thing has Go-fund-me in the situation that I unfortunately find myself in, don't get me wrong, because it is a worrying situation. I mean what is the very worse possible things that could happen to myself, come on the people who ask me if I should start a Go-fund-me? On what grounds would I ask people to fund me? I have money, I at this time I just can't access any of it, because apparently I have been blocked from doing so with no real reason or answer to why.
I mean the situation could continue, growing, and become that of very bad news to myself!
So at this time I have told my landlord the situation and that of my current position, so they have kindly held off the payment of my months rent and bills, (they gave me a week) although there is my deposit to consider, but if that was to become the next months rent, after that I would fall into deubt to them, it's not something that will continue to carry over, I am quite sure because that would be no way for them to run their rental business. So if I can't get it sorted, I have chance to lose my accommodation, that would then see myself and partner out on the street. Now my partner is suffering a terminal illness, again it was good of the pharmacist to be understanding and give us a months supply of medication she needs on a daily basis in advance, with the agreement that I pay them when my money arrives.
No members of Naks family would help her, or me and they never have done so since I have known them, the illness was explained to them clearly in Khmer. I found like many they are the type that are good at receiving but not giving. My partner Nak only gets the phone calls when they want something, and long before I have told her and also them that I stop giving because they won't help her (Nak) in anyway since she became ill.
Soon too my visa EOS is due, at the time I have not got the money to renew, so also there would be the daily overstay of $10 per day to add. We read of the expats who end up with their photo bookended by two immagration officers on CEO, wondering how they ever got into that situation, they would not deport me until the overstay money or, and any fines had been paid. Where if I was to be deported, where too. Would it be of my own country, or that of where I first entered Cambodia from, that being Thailand. If it was to be Thailand then the situation would start once more with the Thai immigration. Hypothetical if it got to that situation, The British Embassy would not even let me have access to their landline phone, so I can't see them being any help in whatever situation that may arise, that is apart from their advice, and that of the banks to ask rfamily and friends for help in monetary terms.
The latter my family is in no position with the situation of the covid-19 back at home, also I would think they would be asking me for my help being farther and grandfather.
But after saying this two members of this forum got in touch with me, one of them I have known for a long time living here, he told me not to worry about my upcoming visa, he would pay for this if I still haven't sorted things out. Another member that I have never met before, very kindly offered to lend me a sum of money to give me more time, in sorting out this situation. Also I excepted his offer with thanks, but it's also the first time for me to borrow any money from a person outside of my family.

But now I have to have a clear view of thought to try and sort out the mess that has fallen upon myself.
I have been digging out information of such money transactions that I had likely made over the past, so if asked questions, I may have some answers.
The last time I had transferred money from my account, the amount of, and what was the purpose of such transactions, where was the money sent. Have I made any payments to family members, or such of buying an item from a specific company, Ebay or Amazon, airline tickets, hotels, although the buying of goods I would be more likely to purchase by the means of my credit card, in fact all of the the above would mainly be paid by card or by PayPal in some instances. Then on receiving the credit card statement, I would also always pay off the full total amount due, with the monies from my current account, also PayPal would be paid from the same account.
What is the total amount of money in that account and also in other accounts I may have.
But of course all the information that I need are there in my online account, with also taking the options of paperless banking, many years ago, due to making the account more secure. I have the only options of cross reference, from where I had possibly purchased good's from, or by memory, and that at times gets a little forgetful. But anything is worth trying to get access back into my own account, being that my options at this time are what you could call "very limited", and seem to be getting even smaller every time I get to speak (or not to speak) on the phone to a bank representative.
I have to say that up to date I am not getting anywhere fast with the bank and it's representatives who are telling me one thing and then another, but still they are not giving me any reason why they have stopped me from using my online account. I again have asked the reason why this as happened, but still no proper answer to the question. If I happened to get a answer why, at least I would have something to work on.
This all started from not being able to log in online too their site to access my online banking account. Why, because the log in page asked me to change my password and then my memorable information, but not only once, the page kept on repeating itself until the message popped up on the screen, with a phone number and a number refrance code , asking me now to call the bank. That first contact the person I talked with asked me the question what the problem was? I explained that it was like the page was on a loop because it would return to the start again after I had completed what was asked of me, and then it came up with I had tried to many times to log in. That's when she said she would sort it out now, she started with asking me security questions, when she was happy with that she asked me to key in my last password that I had put in when trying to change it, when she finished, she told me to wait 20 minutes and put in my original password in and I would have access to my accounts. I waited untill the time had passed. But again on the first attempt I found myself locked out.
This had gone on for a full week. Even my son visiting my own branch in the UK with the manager saying to him that it is out of their hands.
I have called them enough times, and not got anywhere with the situation. Being told to write to them seemed a nonsense to my situation, of how long it would more likely take to resolve that of a situation that still no one had given me a proper answer too.
So taking on board what a few members here had mentioned about complaints, I decided that would now have to be the action I would now have to take. So I have read about the bodies who can do this for you if you have some kind of complaint that is unresolved, but first I would voice my complaint.
So, once I got to talk to someone once again, I asked if the call was being recorded? Yes he said. I replied, "good" because then I would like to voice to you and the bank, that of a official complaint of how I has a customer has been treated, or mistreated has I think the case is now, also I would like someone to give me a reason why I can't access the online banking, also being that I am locked out of my accounts, preventing me getting to my own money. Also without access to my monies I consider that the bank and it's system are putting myself into a very valuable situation in that of a foreign country, resulting in that firstly I am being driven into deubt, and more likely into a position where the authorities would ibe involved. Not forgeting that the situation is worsened by the pandemic of covid-19.
The guy on the line said the problem he only knows of is when someone had tried to call you back to confirm it's you, they could not contact you. So we went through the number again, he said it seems to be a technical problem with the country code, something will not except the code, he said he was getting another person to help him.
This seemed more of a coincidence when I was still voicing my complaint, more particularly when I said if this is not resolved after or during this phone call I wish to close my bank accounts. I asked if this is going to be the case, how would I recover my money, he replied "we could do by check" yes I did understand that the balance should be paid no longer than four days. I asked it would be better if they could transfer the sum to my overseas bank in Cambodia, "is that possible?" "Yes" was his response. I said this is taking a long time, I was asked repeatably to keep keying in my password. I was worrying that I would run out of money or get cut off like as happened so many times before, this leaving me once again where I started.
He said at the time he understands my concerns, then "fuck" the line was once again like many times before "dead". But my phone number was showing on my mobile screen, I typed in my password with hope.
I have had no problems since and received my overseas transfer, so all is good once again. But this is just the start of my re-banking. I would like to think I am just like many of you, maybe I was just unfortunately unlucky, but please take a look at your own banking, making sure all is in order.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Holy Schmoly, batman.

As I read through all that, I kept thinking that you were getting nowhere and were just repeating what we already know.

Then finally we get to the very last paragraph, and can finally jump for joy!

Andy, please confirm that I have read that correctly. You've got your money and all is well (more or less)?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Glad you eventually got it sorted. I would still take the precaution of changing your password (again). Do it from a laptop and by typing in the bank's URL and not via a link from your email or anywhere. I take it there were no suspicious transactions?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic