Overseas Bank

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Re: Overseas Bank

Post by Fourkinnel »

More and more banks are using the extra, send a text with a code to your registered number every time you log in. I've been doing transactions from my Cambodia banks whilst out of the country. Over the last year there has been several times where the bank sends a code to my Cambodia number. Always on Card payments. Have to keep # active by topping up through the app every 3 months (was 6 before with Smart) and keep the sim in a spare phone to receive text. Same now happening with some UK banks.I think Nationwide starting this, said extra security. It doesnt help when they lock you out!. No online help with Halifax except call them. So if you want to continue doing banking, keep an active sim with your registered #. Open a Giff Gaff UK phone account online. Get the sim sent to your daughter or a friend. Register the number with your UK banks. Get whoever has the new UK sim to text you any code received straight away.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

A friend in India does just that. He had all sorts of problems with the one time password so he registered his brothers phone number in the UK. When he needs to do stuff online which is not very often he arranges with his brother and gets the password from him. This is not much use if you have to go online several times a week so the other solution is to request a card reader from the bank I have one for my nationwide account and another from a nat west account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:41 pm Do you have a friend in the UK who can go to the local branch. Maybe the one where you opened the account or the one that you used in your home town. Ask them to talk to the manager, not at the counter but in the office. Explain to them what is happening and get them to phone security. and get a dedicated phone number and name of that person and then phone you with these details. Tell your friend to explain that unless it is sorted out today that you will contact newspapers, social media, facebook, BBC etc and cause a HUGE fuss.
I said before that I would not want to upset the applecart has the saying goes, that's meaning I would rather go through the channels with the bank and get the situation sorted.
It does seem like I have been passed from different people of a call center, rather than the actual bank. This is not good because it more than likely doesn't matter to them if it's sorted or not.
Also I am very limited who could go to the bank on my behalf, but that might have to be the next option. I say this because none of the phone lines are excepting my calls now. I get cut off soon has I dial the numbers, or when I give my details.
In all this time I have not had any proper answer to why I can't have access back into my account. I will try again tomorrow, and see if I can arrange for someone to go to the bank on my behalf.
But I will say once I do gain access to my savings, I don't think I want them to stay in that banks care anymore.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

If I recommend somebody to open an account with nationwide I get £25 and they get £25, let me know and i will e mail them and they will then e mail you, just a thought.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

I just had a look and the nationwide freebie offer has been removed. It is very easy to change accounts online the whole thing takes 7 days and comes with a guarantee from the official banking people. All your regular outgoings and incomings are sorted, direct debits, pension, wages the lot. If they fuck up they give you compensation. However I am pretty sure you need a UK address where they send the card. Also i think they do a credit check so maybe you need to be on the elector register and they ask how long you have lived at your present address.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yesterday morning my Son went to my hometown bank branch where I opened and have my account. Trying to at least get some answers to the problem. He did manage to see the manger, putting on his mobile with me on the line, so the manger could talk to me. They refused, my Son made the manager aware of what situation I was now in. It seems that it makes little difference because the manger said it is out of their hands and I have to call the number of the call center because they are handling it. My Son also asked why I have no access to my account, manager replied that they didn't know and if I rang the number they would answer my questions. I said too my Son I get the same response like he was getting , when I call the number they are talking about.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

As the manager refused to help, ie speak to somebody higher up and then give you the name and number of that person for you to call then i reckon you have grounds for a complaint to the official body that deals with this stuff, don't know who that is though
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 am Yesterday morning my Son went to my hometown bank branch where I opened and have my account. Trying to at least get some answers to the problem. He did manage to see the manger, putting on his mobile with me on the line, so the manger could talk to me. They refused, my Son made the manager aware of what situation I was now in. It seems that it makes little difference because the manger said it is out of their hands and I have to call the number of the call center because they are handling it. My Son also asked why I have no access to my account, manager replied that they didn't know and if I rang the number they would answer my questions. I said too my Son I get the same response like he was getting , when I call the number they are talking about.
Definitely get a different bank. That bank just does not care.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 am Yesterday morning my Son went to my hometown bank branch where I opened and have my account. Trying to at least get some answers to the problem. He did manage to see the manger, putting on his mobile with me on the line, so the manger could talk to me. They refused, my Son made the manager aware of what situation I was now in. It seems that it makes little difference because the manger said it is out of their hands and I have to call the number of the call center because they are handling it. My Son also asked why I have no access to my account, manager replied that they didn't know and if I rang the number they would answer my questions. I said too my Son I get the same response like he was getting , when I call the number they are talking about.
As I mentioned, I once had a problem with a similar kind of account- the company would not allow me to transfer the money out of my account.

I contacted the financial regulator in my country. Even though he said he normally only helps elderly people, he took my case anyway. He contacted them and finally I was able to transfer money out of my account.

Financial regulators exist for cases like yours- to prevent the private sector from abusing people.

Again, has anyone at the bank ever told you the reason why they won't allow you to withdraw or transfer your money? This is a crucial part of the story.

I'm not sure about the law in the UK in terms of the amount of damages that you can claim, but I would think that you have strong grounds for a lawsuit against your bank.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:47 pm
As I mentioned, I once had a problem with a similar kind of account- the company would not allow me to transfer the money out of my account.

I contacted the financial regulator in my country. Even though he said he normally only helps elderly people, he took my case anyway. He contacted them and finally I was able to transfer money out of my account.

Financial regulators exist for cases like yours- to prevent the private sector from abusing people.

Again, has anyone at the bank ever told you the reason why they won't allow you to withdraw or transfer your money? This is a crucial part of the story.

I'm not sure about the law in the UK in terms of the amount of damages that you can claim, but I would think that you have strong grounds for a lawsuit against your bank.
Yes the bank is concerned that this is some sort of scam and ripoff.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic