Overseas Bank

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Overseas Bank

Post by AndyKK »

On my arrival at the British Embassy today I was stopped at the barrier outside, there the security wanted to see my appointment.
I had no appointment, the security handed me a business card for the Embassy with the phone numbers.
I called and talked with them about the situation, and asked if I could possibly use their landline to sort out the problem, the lady told me it was not possible, first they don't involve themselves with people's bank problems and I would not be able to use their landline to sort out my own personal problems.

I look in a few internet places around my journey back home, answer was no, at those places I had visited.

Looks like it may be a visit to the post office tomorrow.
General Post Office

The post office offers letter and package delivery services, post office boxes, international phone calls and fax and collectable stamp sales. Cambodian postage stamps can be quite colorful and unique, and the process of trying to make the correct amount fit on the envelope is an experience in itself.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hi, I don't really understand why you need to use a landline. You said you tried Viber but it was somehow expensive as before? That doesn't make sense as it is cheaper than long distance calls using a normal phone account.

I think you should try again with the Embassy. Call again and don't tell them its the same person that called yesterday, tell them you have a problem of financial destitution and try to get to see someone in person.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:07 am Hi, I don't really understand why you need to use a landline. You said you tried Viber but it was somehow expensive as before? That doesn't make sense as it is cheaper than long distance calls using a normal phone account.

I think you should try again with the Embassy. Call again and don't tell them its the same person that called yesterday, tell them you have a problem of financial destitution and try to get to see someone in person.
Viber was cheaper, and gave me more time for my money, also more time of getting no where.
I am told to use a landline phone because they want to call me back to confirm that it is me. They refuse to call a mobile now. British Embassy is a no go area, that is for sure, they show no interest in their country people.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

AFAIK, no embassy will get involved in anyone's personal business, surly not banking problems or allowing you to use their phones.

why you dont go to a 5 star hotel, ( Sofitel, Rafffels, Sokha, Naga world) as many of them have business centers.

try the travel agent that got you ur extension
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I don't understand why they need to call you back. As long as you pass the security questions that's all they need.

And Skype is much cheaper than any other way of calling. Find yourself somewhere with good WiFi, settle down with a beer, stay calm and I'm sure it will get sorted. Insist that you stay on the line as you are calling over Skype, I'd be very surprised if they didn't

Once you have access, set yourself up a purely online bank (revolut, Monzo, starling etc) and keep some back up funds in there. Takes 5 mins to register, all you need is a passport
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

I suggest that you apply for a UK telephone number from Skype. My mother in UK does not use a computer of a mobile telephone number in order to give her access to me in Cambodia I have a dedicated telephone number in UK provided by Skype and she calls me on that and Skype transfers the call to me in Canmbodia. She phones me from her landline number and is charged for a local UK call. It costs me around 50 or 60 dollars for a year but her peace of mind when she needs to call is worth every penny of that. You can use that number to give your bank a local UK "landline" number.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:52 am AFAIK, no embassy will get involved in anyone's personal business, surly not banking problems or allowing you to use their phones.

why you dont go to a 5 star hotel, ( Sofitel, Rafffels, Sokha, Naga world) as many of them have business centers.

try the travel agent that got you ur extension
My understanding was that AndyKK is facing financial destitution. I don't remember the details, but it seems that appeals of this nature were made to the UK Embassy before.

In one case I needed help from my Embassy regarding a financial institution. They seemed very willing to help although I ended up getting assistance through the financial regulator in my country.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:32 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:07 am Hi, I don't really understand why you need to use a landline. You said you tried Viber but it was somehow expensive as before? That doesn't make sense as it is cheaper than long distance calls using a normal phone account.

Viber was cheaper, and gave me more time for my money, also more time of getting no where.
I am told to use a landline phone because they want to call me back to confirm that it is me. They refuse to call a mobile now. British Embassy is a no go area, that is for sure, they show no interest in their country people.
OK, so it sounds like you can call them and discuss with your Viber account, but they want to call you with a landline. There are a number of landlines around, you just need to find someone sympathetic and patient to let you receive a call on their landline. Maybe a foreigner-friendly business like Lucky Lucky? There was also one business that had a FAX service, probably you could negotiate with this kind of business to have the opportunity to use their landline.

I don't understand why your bank wants to use a landline only, would be curious to know the explanation for that.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:59 am I don't understand why your bank wants to use a landline only, would be curious to know the explanation for that.
They want him to have a landline on which to call him back.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Do you have a friend in the UK who can go to the local branch. Maybe the one where you opened the account or the one that you used in your home town. Ask them to talk to the manager, not at the counter but in the office. Explain to them what is happening and get them to phone security. and get a dedicated phone number and name of that person and then phone you with these details. Tell your friend to explain that unless it is sorted out today that you will contact newspapers, social media, facebook, BBC etc and cause a HUGE fuss.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic