Traveling Heavy

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Traveling Heavy

Post by Matty9999 »

My stuff, weighs about 180 lbs thats including the luggage jumbo suitcase, bags, bike, and everything i brought from the USA to Asia. I'm actually not done adding or reformulating what i own. Will take to other countries besides Cambodia

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Traveling Heavy

Post by newkidontheblock »

How did you get around the 2 bags, up to 23 kg each or 1 bag up to 28 kg plus carry on 7 kg airline rule? The biggest problem I have traveling is the weight limit.

Good luck on your travels.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

That's not traveling. That's moving house.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:52 am How did you get around the 2 bags, up to 23 kg each or 1 bag up to 28 kg plus carry on 7 kg airline rule? The biggest problem I have traveling is the weight limit.

Good luck on your travels.
Thanks, when i was inside Asia, added some so technically it was not yet 180, but Eva Air does allow you to pay for an extra bag USA to Bangkok. Eva air is very reasonable, it was 2 23kg or USA 50 lbs limit bags for FREE, then on top of that add the bike bag (30 lbs) for a low price, they actually didnt even bother to charge me oversize, so nice of them, and the carry on backpack which was free (20 lbs) this was technically a bit overweight but let that slide, the actual limit is supposed to be 15 lbs. One of the heaviest items is that deep cycle battery which weighs 8 lbs but its only 4" by 7", i thought about replacing that with lithium ion but was unable to locate any of these inside the country so i think the plan there is to just toss them next time i get on a plane.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

To add a bit more to this, theres a lot of room for improvement here. The hardsided pieces of luggage weigh 11-12 lbs each, if I really wanted to i could replace one or both with a softsided case that weighs about 7-8 lbs so thatd be a 3 to 5 lbs savings per bag. The bike is aluminum so its not the most lightweight bike out there at 25 lbs, i could replace it with a carbon fiber, but this would cost a lot of dough $$$. Ive cut a few things since leaving the US and added some.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Why are you travelling with an inflatable dinghy? That must add a lot of weight.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:30 pm Why are you travelling with an inflatable dinghy? That must add a lot of weight.
I like boating so i decided to sell my boats my in NYC, my parents actually have one of them, and i took the engine and the dingy with me for fun, actually the dingy weighs 15 lbs, and the motor weighs 7 lbs, so not THAT much, but the accessories do weigh a bit more.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Get a magnesium bike and just pay excess baggage. It,s not that much.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Update on the travel, I've decided to keep the bike. The total baggage fee should be about $275 but that's depending on which airline. If you happen to be flying through the USA with heavy luggage, Southwest is the cheapest airline, its 1st bag free, 2nd free, 3rd or bike, $75. Out of PP to LAX i can possibly take Korea Air, Asiana, Singapore Air, or EVA Air. I was highly impressed with EVA air so i may take them back to USA, then transfer at LAX with Southwest to CUN.

Total price for economy class looks to be about $1300 to $1700
snoink
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by snoink »

Matty9999 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:49 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:30 pm Why are you travelling with an inflatable dinghy? That must add a lot of weight.
I like boating so i decided to sell my boats my in NYC, my parents actually have one of them, and i took the engine and the dingy with me for fun, actually the dingy weighs 15 lbs, and the motor weighs 7 lbs, so not THAT much, but the accessories do weigh a bit more.
Have you crossed The Mekong yet to Arey Kasat? I'm familiar with that kind of boat, yet such a crossing would be in the hairy side!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic