Traveling Heavy

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Traveling Heavy

Post by Matty9999 »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:18 am Taxis/transport will always be much more expensive in Europe due to high fuel duty's, enforced insurance requirements, licensing, taxation (except in Greece) and all the other add-ons that make being self employed much harder than it should be.

On the flip side, public transport systems in the main cities are often superb and relatively cheap if you are doing a lot of moving about. Getting to understand them can be the tricky bit.

Got my trusty steed unfurled.... so with this moving from A to b is free... if you are able bodied, driving 10 or 20 miles in a day is easy peesy, i usually ride at a slow pace and mostly on the sidewalk or bike path in urban areas..

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Matty9999 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:56 pm
Meal from street food:
PP: .75 to $2 Belgrade $2 to $4 PP wins, note on this... in PP you can find a full meal for $1.5 whereas in Belgrade its tough to find this for less than $5
I'm not sure what kind of meal you can get for $1.50. How do restaurant prices compare?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:56 pm
Matty9999 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:56 pm
Meal from street food:
PP: .75 to $2 Belgrade $2 to $4 PP wins, note on this... in PP you can find a full meal for $1.5 whereas in Belgrade its tough to find this for less than $5
I'm not sure what kind of meal you can get for $1.50. How do restaurant prices compare?
In Serbia you can get a meal in a discount restaurant for $3.50, in Cambodia its only street food for $1.50. The equivalent in the USA is fast food for about $7.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I have never had any satisfactory street food here that cost only $1.50.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 pm I have never had any satisfactory street food here that cost only $1.50.
Ill take whatever. Cambodia does have certain virtues, for example the outdoor markets where things are much cheaper than over here where you need to shop at a regular store like in the states, but i have to give props to Serbia because its much more organized and developed. They dont have stray dogs, jaywalking, trash on the street, or even any unpaved roadways from what ive seen so far.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

That's a big eye opener for us all, thank you for keeping your travels so candid. In the US we are fortunate to get many gypsies from Serbia and nearby countries. Many of them are miracle auto body workers. Often their wives will go along for the miracle work and offer to read your cards. There is an area in Belgrade where they hail from that looks like this neighborhood in this post here as a link. You will find they have earthy digs akin to some of the virtuous spots that you recall here in Cambodia.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/9nug4pw.jpg[/img]
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:47 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 pm I have never had any satisfactory street food here that cost only $1.50.
Ill take whatever. Cambodia does have certain virtues, for example the outdoor markets where things are much cheaper than over here where you need to shop at a regular store like in the states, but i have to give props to Serbia because its much more organized and developed. They dont have stray dogs, jaywalking, trash on the street, or even any unpaved roadways from what ive seen so far.
Update on the shopping over here in Serb town. You can get that "Local Markets" price from the internet. There are certain sites which cater to the Chinese type price or in the USA it might be considered the Ebay or Ali Express type price. It just takes a bit of work and translating with the Serbian language on Serbian ecommerce sites.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:18 am Taxis/transport will always be much more expensive in Europe due to high fuel duty's, enforced insurance requirements, licensing, taxation (except in Greece) and all the other add-ons that make being self employed much harder than it should be.

On the flip side, public transport systems in the main cities are often superb and relatively cheap if you are doing a lot of moving about. Getting to understand them can be the tricky bit.
Also European cities are usually quite walkable so you don't really need taxi that much. Belgrade for example is very walkable city. And 7 day unlimited public transport card is like $10 or so.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:47 pm
how is the nightlife/ social scene over there?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

bossho wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:25 pm That's a big eye opener for us all, thank you for keeping your travels so candid. In the US we are fortunate to get many gypsies from Serbia and nearby countries. Many of them are miracle auto body workers. Often their wives will go along for the miracle work and offer to read your cards. There is an area in Belgrade where they hail from that looks like this neighborhood in this post here as a link. You will find they have earthy digs akin to some of the virtuous spots that you recall here in Cambodia.

Not far from some of the places I had been around some years back in Bombay, India. But then again if those buildings were spaced out a little, they could be mistaken for the old allotments in the UK.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic