Traveling Heavy

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Traveling Heavy

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I dont know how many times i flown Air Asia with,
20 kg in my main carry on medium sized backpack - instead of 7kg. (they never used to check)
About 10 kg in books, papers and well packed cotton clothes (heavy) in my large computer bag - free
Binoculars, cameras and all the other small heavy stuff in a 15 ltr dry bag over my shoulder and sitting unnoticed in the small of my back - free
ie, Up to 45/50 kg carried on - free.

Just before travelling shut down, Air Asia was starting to weigh check-in luggage, but just the main bag.
Twice i was weighed but managed to give a nice enough humble smile and got waved thru - but they would have only charged excess for the main back-pack anyway.
- so BIG tip - your computer bag and a dry bag slung over your shoulder are your friends - up to 30 kg for free if you pack them right and are casual enough that their weight goes unnoticed.

I love the boat idea, Matty - but my personal preference would be an inflatable kayak. Lighter with no motor or battery.
Less cumbersome, possibly faster, and you can paddle a lot further in a day than a battery can.
In any case, you are on a winner there. "Cambodia is a land of water". It's everywhere, lakes, rivers, estuaries and the coast.
Most people miss the very best part of the country.

To quote Ratty's famous pearl of wisdom from the English classic, Wind in the Willows
"There is nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats in Cambodia.”

:thumb: all the very best, 'love yr style.
Last edited by SternAAlbifrons on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Matty9999 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:27 pm Update on the travel, I've decided to keep the bike. The total baggage fee should be about $275 but that's depending on which airline. If you happen to be flying through the USA with heavy luggage, Southwest is the cheapest airline, its 1st bag free, 2nd free, 3rd or bike, $75. Out of PP to LAX i can possibly take Korea Air, Asiana, Singapore Air, or EVA Air. I was highly impressed with EVA air so i may take them back to USA, then transfer at LAX with Southwest to CUN.

Total price for economy class looks to be about $1300 to $1700
Nice, good luck.
:thumb:
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

snoink wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 am
Matty9999 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:49 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:30 pm Why are you travelling with an inflatable dinghy? That must add a lot of weight.
I like boating so i decided to sell my boats my in NYC, my parents actually have one of them, and i took the engine and the dingy with me for fun, actually the dingy weighs 15 lbs, and the motor weighs 7 lbs, so not THAT much, but the accessories do weigh a bit more.
Have you crossed The Mekong yet to Arey Kasat? I'm familiar with that kind of boat, yet such a crossing would be in the hairy side!
No the Mekong is so gross, so i dare not put my boat down in that. Better luck in Mexico.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Matty9999 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:53 pm
snoink wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 am
Matty9999 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:49 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:30 pm Why are you travelling with an inflatable dinghy? That must add a lot of weight.
I like boating so i decided to sell my boats my in NYC, my parents actually have one of them, and i took the engine and the dingy with me for fun, actually the dingy weighs 15 lbs, and the motor weighs 7 lbs, so not THAT much, but the accessories do weigh a bit more.
Have you crossed The Mekong yet to Arey Kasat? I'm familiar with that kind of boat, yet such a crossing would be in the hairy side!
No the Mekong is so gross, so i dare not put my boat down in that. Better luck in Mexico.
I have crossed the Mekong in the north of the country a few times in past years, ideally to go to the nearest market at the time in Loas. The boats tend to follow the Cambodian left riverbank for some time against the river current, then taking a right turn to Loas in the flow of the river. Its wide there, and can have waves of a foot high, more like being offshore some times. I am afraid I would not like to go over on your boat Matty, and I hear the rats like to chew inflatables.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

If you want to do the upper Mekong - border to Kratie, the best bit - best time is the cusp of the seasons.
Full flow it is too wild - dry season, a bit boring.
Very doable in a kayak and will probably be one of the experiences of your life.

I went thru the rapids at Sambor alone and under a full moon in moderate flow - I wanted to hit town, it was Saturday night and my wife who was following my progress from the land wanted a bit of excitement too.
The rapids ended up better fun than even the club scene in Kratie.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Taking off next Friday May 21, to Europe with a swing by to Egypt.. and a few refueling stops...
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

did you end up selling your carry on bag? I saw you trying to sell it on facebook.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:06 pm did you end up selling your carry on bag? I saw you trying to sell it on facebook.
i sold the duffle bag, and the carryon ive still got, but i can just give it away, its not a big deal.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:09 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:06 pm did you end up selling your carry on bag? I saw you trying to sell it on facebook.
i sold the duffle bag, and the carryon ive still got, but i can just give it away, its not a big deal.
fair enough id be interested but I'm not in PP at the moments, all the best on your next adventure mate.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:09 pm
Working on some logistical issues, today got my hotel booked at the receiving end and some sold stuff.. im coming in a bit overweight on the luggage so i may have to sell a few more items, we will see.

Slight addendum, I think for future flights it might even be ideal to go with 3 jumbos instead of 2, and pay the extra luggage, or perhaps 2 jumbo hardsides and 1 jumbo duffle just in case i need to fit it into a taxi.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic