Road from Phnom Penh to Kep?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Road from Phnom Penh to Kep?

Post by atst »

Sorry if this is been discussed before but did search , search function needs to be more simple for us idiots, anyway riding bike PP to Kep soon how's the road and best ways to get there.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Road from Phnom Penh to Kep?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Just curious, are you doing this on a scooter or big bike?

I think I read it's 2hrs PP>Kampot..then another 40 mins Kampot>Kep (but that might have been by car)?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:06 pm Just curious, are you doing this on a scooter or big bike?

I think I read it's 2hrs PP>Kampot..then another 40 mins Kampot>Kep (but that might have been by car)?
Big bike but the pace I go and with the girl wanting to stop eat every 20 minutes I'd be looking at 7 hour's
It's about 3-4 hours in taxi I went by taxi November first hour was shit road went HE boulevard then to HW 3
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

the worst part of the road now is 20A between road 2 and road 3 (assuming you are coming down HE Boulevard). As you pass the weighing station just after joining road 3 there is a small unpaved section but for the rest of the way from there to Kep the road is good. I go down Road 3 then split on to road 31, much faster than going via Kampot. In the ca iit takes me 2.5 to 3 hours each way but I try to avoid peak times. That is departing from near Russian Market to arriving in kep
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Element6 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:35 am the worst part of the road now is 20A between road 2 and road 3 (assuming you are coming down HE Boulevard). As you pass the weighing station just after joining road 3 there is a small unpaved section but for the rest of the way from there to Kep the road is good. I go down Road 3 then split on to road 31, much faster than going via Kampot. In the ca iit takes me 2.5 to 3 hours each way but I try to avoid peak times. That is departing from near Russian Market to arriving in kep
Thanks, that the way I was thinking of taking.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:53 am
Element6 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:35 am the worst part of the road now is 20A between road 2 and road 3 (assuming you are coming down HE Boulevard). As you pass the weighing station just after joining road 3 there is a small unpaved section but for the rest of the way from there to Kep the road is good. I go down Road 3 then split on to road 31, much faster than going via Kampot. In the ca iit takes me 2.5 to 3 hours each way but I try to avoid peak times. That is departing from near Russian Market to arriving in kep
Thanks, that the way I was thinking of taking.
What is road 2 conditions down to road 31?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Road 2 was blocked off road works when I went in November
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

You can go on the train too, thus avoiding all these suicide alleys. You can take your bike too, it goes in a cargo wagon on the back of the train.

It's about 4 hours to Kampot, you get to see the countryside, it has AC and has a buffet outlet (take your own food is my advice) It stops once in Takmeo. From Kampot you can then take a leisurely drive to Kep and satisfy your wild biker spirit needs.

Trains leave PP at 7am, on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and return to PP at 11am on Saturday/Sunday/Monday. $7 pp each way.

Let the train take the strain! (and eliminate the risk of death or serious injury too)

http://royalrailway.easybook.com/train/ ... -to-kampot
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Maybe if the train left a bit later , I'm not an early morning person anymore, I've heard it's a lovely way to travel
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:03 am Maybe if the train left a bit later , I'm not an early morning person anymore, I've heard it's a lovely way to travel
Ha Ha mate, you think they leave on time?

Seriously, try the train. If it is too boring you can always ride back. But it arrives at a nice time in Kampot and you still get to do wheelies on the way to Kep.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic