Road from Phnom Penh to Kep?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Road from Phnom Penh to Kep?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I hate that crab. Caught way too young and tons of work for tiny bits of food. Never got the allure. Then again I've always hated beaches in general (hate is maybe too strong a word, but I generally dislike beaches/beach towns).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:59 pm I hate that crab. Caught way too young and tons of work for tiny bits of food. Never got the allure. Then again I've always hated beaches in general (hate is maybe too strong a word, but I generally dislike beaches/beach towns).
love crab, but agree about the Kep crab,small and lots of work but tasty>
total opposite ur referral to beaches> :-)
34 + years been within 5 minutes of one here in Phuket and swim 300+ days/year
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:19 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:59 pm I hate that crab. Caught way too young and tons of work for tiny bits of food. Never got the allure. Then again I've always hated beaches in general (hate is maybe too strong a word, but I generally dislike beaches/beach towns).
total opposite ur referral to beaches> :-)
34 + years been within 5 minutes of one here in Phuket and swim 300+ days/year
Noted :mrgreen:
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:17 am
atst wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:03 am Maybe if the train left a bit later , I'm not an early morning person anymore, I've heard it's a lovely way to travel
Ha Ha mate, you think they leave on time?

Seriously, try the train. If it is too boring you can always ride back. But it arrives at a nice time in Kampot and you still get to do wheelies on the way to Kep.
I'd heard something about the trains being shut down on some sections and having troubles years ago. How is reliability these days? Lateness is to be expected, of course. I wanted to see about using it to check out the cities outside of PP.
:thumb:
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:08 am
Doc67 wrote:You can go on the train too, thus avoiding all these suicide alleys. You can take your bike too, it goes in a cargo wagon on the back of the train.

It's about 4 hours to Kampot, you get to see the countryside, it has AC and has a buffet outlet (take your own food is my advice) It stops once in Takmeo. From Kampot you can then take a leisurely drive to Kep and satisfy your wild biker spirit needs.

Trains leave PP at 7am, on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and return to PP at 11am on Saturday/Sunday/Monday. $7 pp each way.

Let the train take the strain! (and eliminate the risk of death or serious injury too)

http://royalrailway.easybook.com/train/ ... -to-kampot
Train is horrible. Took 6+ hours last time, and the main highway is basically finished, and then he'd have to go to Kep on top of it. Main road to Keep is fine, just take the 3 and then cut off by Angkor Borei.
Wow. Is that typical to take that long? I was recommended buses.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

atst wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:07 pm What's good about Kep
Wow, just gorgeous. What did you get that for?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

KTabi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:23 am
Wow, a BBQ fish on a plate that is too small, with some cucumber. Genius.

It come with the head, tail, flippers and fins all still attached, plus the guts still in situ. Not even a side plate for the bits you're going to have to remove yourself. Could they do less?

Unless you're Robinson Crusoe, I can't see the attraction.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:45 am
Wow, a BBQ fish on a plate that is too small, with some cucumber. Genius.

It come with the head, tail, flippers and fins all still attached, plus the guts still in situ. Not even a side plate for the bits you're going to have to remove yourself. Could they do less?

Unless you're Robinson Crusoe, I can't see the attraction.
The crab looks much better than the fish which still looks quite good to me. I'm not very picky however and love simple grilled fish so perhaps that is not for everyone.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

1kilo fresh crab $7:50 cooked for $2:50 in market, fish in restaurant next to market $6 including rice
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

atst wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:00 am
1kilo fresh crab $7:50 cooked for $2:50 in market, fish in restaurant next to market $6 including rice
I'm ever the glutton, I wonder what the price of a housekeeper who would shop and cook for you could be. There was some singaporean lad who came on asking the same. I bet I'd lose money though but feasting like a king every day on the cheap sounds so temping.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic