BYRON CUNAN, 31Yo Filipino Teacher, Passes Away in Phnom Penh Hospital

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: BYRON CUNAN, 31Yo Filipino Teacher, Passes Away in Phnom Penh Hospital

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I think it’s covid but there’s no need for defensiveness, covid or pneumonia shouldn’t have some kind of stigma attached to it either way.

Many will agree that the numbers of ill and deceased are grossly underreported here.

@Brody you can keep the personal attacks to yourself, thanks
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:03 pm covid or pneumonia shouldn’t have some kind of stigma
I don't think anyone is debating that...........it's people making definitive statements when they know fuck all about a persons medical status which doesn't help matters and perpetuates rumors, false narratives, etc.

Maybe you shouldn't do that GMJS-CEO.

Thanks. :thumb:
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Brody wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:12 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:03 pm covid or pneumonia shouldn’t have some kind of stigma
I don't think anyone is debating that...........it's people making definitive statements when they know fuck all about a persons medical status which doesn't help matters and perpetuates rumors, false narratives, etc.

Maybe you shouldn't do that GMJS-CEO.

Thanks. :thumb:
Bit dramatic, eh? Take it easy mate. Just saw you were having a go earlier in this thread as well.

The false narrative is the 479 reported cases. How about those flights to China where numerous people got Covid midair on flights out of Cambodia? My comment about this one case doesn't seem like enough reason for your lashing out. Come in off the ledge.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:35 pm
The false narrative is the 479 reported cases. How about those flights to China where numerous people got Covid midair on flights out of Cambodia? My comment about this one case doesn't seem like enough reason for your lashing out. Come in off the ledge.
Ledge? Lashing out?

Were you overly sheltered as a wee sprout?

Anyway, if you want to have those arguments then go have them. I'm sure the Cambodian government would like to read them.

But don't taint a young mans death thread with idiotic statements, like he died of covid when we don't know that to be the case.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Many will agree that the numbers of ill and deceased are grossly underreported here.
You are here now?

If so, your observations may have some credibility.

If not.....................................................
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Brody wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:41 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:35 pm
Anyway, if you want to have those arguments then go have them. I'm sure the Cambodian government would like to read them.
:crazy: The government is getting involved now

Sorry Brody, you're far out. Not responding to any further conspiracies or arguments. I am sure the PM will check this thread out after finished the Aaron in Cambodia videos. :ROFL:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:55 pm Sorry Brody, you're far out. Not responding to any further conspiracies or arguments. I am sure the PM will check this thread out after finished the Aaron in Cambodia videos. :ROFL:
I was half-joking, bud. But you've seen HE warning social media users against posting "fake news" regarding his governmental policies.

Anyway .......nice that you choose to respond to this rather than the substance of my post.

I'll go round and round with you all night......but try and have some common decency and let me have the last word, as I deserve......Thanks. :thumb:
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

31 is too young, my thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

TipsyJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:15 pm Pneumonia and covid have similar symptoms. 31 y/o guys usually don’t die of pneumonia so I think it’s fair to ask if it could be covid. Sorry for your loss
I’m reluctant to add my 2 cents to this one as the deceased’s friend has asked us to stop speculating on the cause of his friends tragic demise. But I’m struggling to ignore the apparent refusal of some posters to accept that the cause of death could be pneumonia, and to make matters worse one or two posters on this thread give the impression that they’d rather it was Covid.
For what it’s worth, a 31 year old is just as likely, if not more likely to die from pneumonia than they are from Covid.
And why are some people under the misguided impression that pneumonia only sees off “old folk”? Pneumonia can strike at any age, often brought on or exacerbated by underlying medical conditions or illness (bronchitis I believe in this instance) Covid on the other hand is certainly more likely to be fatal to the elderly than it is to 30-40 year olds.
For the record, my kid sister died aged 22 from pneumonia brought on as a consequence of renal failure.
Condolences to the family and friends of Byron.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

GMJS-CEO wrote:
And many won’t. If a single clinic or hospital in the entire country had a very seriously ill person coughing and gasping on the verge of death do you honestly think that it wouldn’t end up as a video on local social media here? The Khmers are obsessed with videoing any kind of drama, accident, fight etc and posting it immediately.
I’m not aware of a single case in the last year of any videos like this. Are you?
Various articles are beginning to appear in the western press acknowledging that there seems to be very few cases of covid in Cambodia, and offering reasons why.
You don’t think it’s possible that actually there are very few cases here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic