BYRON CUNAN, 31Yo Filipino Teacher, Passes Away in Phnom Penh Hospital

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: BYRON CUNAN, 31Yo Filipino Teacher, Passes Away in Phnom Penh Hospital

Post by Marty »

MichealXavier wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:45 am
nerdlinger wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:33 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:36 am Unless presented with evidence of your relationship I’m skeptical. Can you post the covid test results?
Given it’s his first post on CEO I’m inclined to believe him.
You guys are really amazing
Making assumptions without even knowing the truth
Do you think the hospital lied?
The embassy and police lied?
We are already in pain of losing a Friend and our colleague
And you guys are debating over if it's covid
Thank you
And I'm sorry I mentioned stupid in my post
Well thank you for your apology for mentioning stupid in your post. We really don't want stupid in posts on this forum. Given the way that Cambodians do things, how do you know what was and wasn't done and what tests were or weren't done in the 20 days Byron was hospitalized? It could have been Tuberculosis only, it could have been Covid in combination with tuberculosis, it could have been tuberculosis caused by Covid or it could have been Covid only. So it doesn't really matter what your opinion is about it. This is a country that routinely lists heart attack as cause of death for 31 year olds such as Byron, something that rarely happens in other countries. Byron sounds kind of ballsy to go thru everything required for travel for work during this pandemic, may he RIP.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^^ Tuberculosis? You mean pneumonia don't you.

Can you guys lay off MichealXavier, please.

His friend has just passed away. He has every right to be upset. He doesn't need to answer your questions or explain himself. He was there, you weren't.

Have some respect, please.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I had pneumonia last year and luckily was able to clear it up with a 10 day course of antibiotics without being hospitalized. RIP Byron.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Condolences to Friends and Family.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Terrible news, especially for someone so young. Thoughts and prayers to friends and family.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
MichealXavier
Tourist

Post by MichealXavier »

Marty wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:53 pm
MichealXavier wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:45 am
nerdlinger wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:33 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:36 am Unless presented with evidence of your relationship I’m skeptical. Can you post the covid test results?
Given it’s his first post on CEO I’m inclined to believe him.
You guys are really amazing
Making assumptions without even knowing the truth
Do you think the hospital lied?
The embassy and police lied?
We are already in pain of losing a Friend and our colleague
And you guys are debating over if it's covid
Thank you
And I'm sorry I mentioned stupid in my post
Well thank you for your apology for mentioning stupid in your post. We really don't want stupid in posts on this forum. Given the way that Cambodians do things, how do you know what was and wasn't done and what tests were or weren't done in the 20 days Byron was hospitalized? It could have been Tuberculosis only, it could have been Covid in combination with tuberculosis, it could have been tuberculosis caused by Covid or it could have been Covid only. So it doesn't really matter what your opinion is about it. This is a country that routinely lists heart attack as cause of death for 31 year olds such as Byron, something that rarely happens in other countries. Byron sounds kind of ballsy to go thru everything required for travel for work during this pandemic, may he RIP.
Are you making more assumptions?
Byron started working here since 2019 August together with the rest of us
He never travelled anywhere since the pandemic
He got sick starting January with Bronchitis and pneumonia
And passed away two days ago
Can you guys please stop debating over his cause of death
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Calm down, nobody's making assumptions about anything (apart from possibly GMJS's initial post). We're asking questions, which is almost the exact opposite of assuming.

I'd advise against taking this personally, this isn't really about your friend. It's about the worries most people at the moment share - the country's lack of testing (25,762 tests per 1M people vs over 1M tests per 1M people in most people's home countries) combined with young population, poor access to medical care, and relatively low levels of day-to-day precautions (borders notwithstanding), is making a scenario where many people have cause to believe that the true infection rate could be massively higher than the government figures. This is why whenever a death is reported as being caused by pneumonia, stroke etc people are anxious to find out more details about it.

It's not about the deceased themselves, it's people trying to figure out whether they and their own families are safe in a place where reliable information is hard to come by.
TipsyJayhawk
Tourist

Post by TipsyJayhawk »

Pneumonia and covid have similar symptoms. 31 y/o guys usually don’t die of pneumonia so I think it’s fair to ask if it could be covid. Sorry for your loss
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

TipsyJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:15 pm I think it’s fair to ask if it could be covid.
Sure it's fair to ask.....but GMJS-CEO, because he's a bit of a tool, stated that it was covid, which is not fair........
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

Ravensnest wrote: My personal experience has been the exact opposite. More than a few of my students have gone to hospital with severe cough and fever only to be given an antibiotic and told they can go to school. When their fever has been detected at the gate, the school calls the parents to find out a covid test was not completed.
And how many of these students did end up having covid? How many were tested? How many tested positive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic