Gong Xi Fa Cai ! Happy Chinese New Year !

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Gong Xi Fa Cai ! Happy Chinese New Year !

Post by Anchor Moy »

Happy New Year everyone, and because you cannot celebrate too many new years, Happy Tet too :beer1:
Welcome to Year of the Buffalo ! How exciting. I can predict that this year can only be better - or worse - than last year.

Are you guys celebrating and holidaying, or are you pretending that tomorrow will be a work day as usual (which it is officially, of course, but a lot of Cambodians with Chinese ancestry or relatives will not be in for work tomorrow)?
:beer3:
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Gong Xi Fa Cai ! Happy Chinese New Year !

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

And who can't wait for Valentines day!!??
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Stayin busy, workin... Although, because most of my students are Chinese or Taiwanese, I'll have a lot less students and more time to chill with the fam, and maybe even read a bit of a book.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

According to the Ministry of Tourism, on February 12, there were more than 2 thousand tourists in Sihanoukville, and on this February 13, 2021, the number of tourists has increased even more.
According to the head of the Ministry of Tourism, on February 12, at the Chinese New Year weekend, there were more than 2 thousand tourists in Sihanoukville province, and on this February 13, 2021, the number of tourists has increased even more.
Photos Huy Bunleng
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Well, I'll leave the chinese to their celebrations...means nothing to me.
Now, khmer new year is a different story coz this is my adopted country and I have a khmer GF.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:09 pm Well, I'll leave the chinese to their celebrations...means nothing to me.
Now, khmer new year is a different story coz this is my adopted country and I have a khmer GF.
Lol, don't be a party-pooper. A lot of my Cambodian friends celebrate Chinese New Year - especially those from the south. CNY was always a big thing in SHV and Kampot, and even in PP, long before the recent new Chinese immigration.
IME Khmer-Chinese families have always celebrated the CNY in Cambodia - every year the local Chinese shops and restaurants shut down and most of the markets stalls, and the price of beer goes up one week before. Then people make party.
A lot of people that I consider to be regular Khmer tell me they have to go home for CNY, because, family. Celebrating CNY does not prevent you from celebrating the KNY, so why not enjoy both ? :beer3:

The Chinese-Chinese usually go home to China to visit family anyway. The construction work used to stop in Sihanoukville for about 10-14 days, if not longer. (In the old days, before all the shit went down.) I remember how great the sudden sound of silence was after all that bloody noise.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus’ family members who always asking for money has asked missus to send them red envelopes full of ....

Preferably airmailed to then ASAP.

Can’t imagine the look on their faces when they were told the older generation, aka their parents and grandparents are supposed to give envelopes to them and their children.

Their reply, their parents aren’t Chinese. But I am, and now missus is too. Transformed by marriage.

Wonders will never cease.

Happy Chinese New Year everyone!

Please be safe out there!
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Do the Chinese have st. patricks day ?

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

February 12, 2021
All set for the Year of the Ox
Moeun Chhean Nariddh / Khmer Times
Have you seen the lion or dragon dancing to the drum or heard the firecrackers? It’s the Chinese New Year celebration. However, it’s not in Beijing or Hong Kong. It’s right in Phnom Penh and other major cities and towns across Cambodia.

Let’s pretend you are also Chinese and enjoy the feast. It’s what many local Khmer people do.

Eang Nam, a 66-year-old Chinese Cambodian says about 90 people in his Kampong Cham province’s Prek Koy commune celebrate Chinese New Year. He says most of the Chinese New Year revellers are local Khmer people.

“Like other Chinese festivals, we offer food and wine to the spirits of our ancestors, grandparents, and parents to show our gratitude to them,” he says. “So, many local Khmer people follow us, because they also want to pay respect to their ancestors.

Nam says children of Chinese ancestry just follow what their grandparents and parents used to do the same way they followed the tradition of their ancestors.

“We feel that those who respect and are grateful to their ancestors seem to do a good business and live a good life,” he says.

Nam says Chinese Cambodians have also followed Khmer traditions such as the Khmer New Year in April and Pchum Ben festival in October.

“The Khmers celebrate their festivals to commemorate the spirits of their ancestors,” he says. “So, Chinese Cambodians have done the same so that we can have double respect and pay double gratitude to our ancestors."
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50813353/a ... of-the-ox/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic