Lending money to Cambodian legals

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
brisie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Lending money to Cambodian legals

Post by brisie »

Got a khmer friend who wants to borrow a substantial amount of money for business purposes.
They've already borrowed from the banks to their limit and need me to give them a boost. The loan is to buy import and resell to an upper class market of cambodian cash throwers. The debt is expected to be repaid 2-3 months after shipment arrives and is sold.
What could possibly go wrong and how can I protect myself if all of a sudden after the loan magically I become a total bastard to avoid the debt.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Lending money to Cambodian legals

Post by pissontheroof »

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

You will get burned.
Don't do it.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

They've maxed out bank loans and still need a substantial sum of money which you're considering lending them?

I've got a golden palace full of dragons and magical creatures.....
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You will have nothing to worry about, their word that they will repay you is all you need...no need to make it official on paper.

:facepalm:

Would you loan money to people under similar circumstances back in your home country?

If you answered no, then why would you do so here, in a foreign country, with less legal recourse when shit goes Pete Tong?!

If you answered yes, then you are far too trusting of your fellow man - trust no one, regardless of their Nationality!

A fool and their money are easily parted...never loan what you are not prepared to lose... etc. etc....
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

What are they planning to import?

If you do go ahead (after all due diligence), don't lend them the money to import products in their name. Import them in your name and release the goods to order when the "cash throwers" throw money at you. Be a partner, not a financier.

If there is any excuses as to why the imports have to be in their name, and not yours, then this should be the end of the discussion. It might also give you a way to say no, by getting them to say no.
Last edited by Doc67 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

brisie wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:09 pm Got a khmer friend who wants to borrow a substantial amount of money for business purposes.
They've already borrowed from the banks to their limit and need me to give them a boost. The loan is to buy import and resell to an upper class market of cambodian cash throwers. The debt is expected to be repaid 2-3 months after shipment arrives and is sold.
What could possibly go wrong and how can I protect myself if all of a sudden after the loan magically I become a total bastard to avoid the debt.
brisie= The reason why khmers drink from a straw is because they don't want to catch a big bucket of herpes from the skank drinking from the glass before with jizz all over her lips and the amount of crap around the top of the can.

You've been around!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:11 pm What are they planning to import?

If you do go ahead (after all due diligence), don't lend them the money to import products in their name. Import them in your name and release the goods to order when the "cash throwers" throw money at you. Be a partner, not a financier.

If there is any excuses as to why the imports have to be in their name, and not yours, then this should be the end of the discussion. It might also give you a way to say no, by getting them to say no.
Importing in your name, taxing in your name, legal obligation to pay taxes for you as importer as well.

I'd give that one another thought....
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

brisie wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:09 pm Got a khmer friend who wants to borrow a substantial amount of money for business purposes.
lol
substantial for them, or you?
if for you, the only way i'd consider it would be as a shark-tank investment, take a percentage of the company, legally
and then i'd snap out of the daydream
just, no

monstra mihi bona!
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I have previously been in exactly the same situation. I lent the money knowing I could afford to lose it (can you?) to somebody I had known for many years. The goods were sold to the customer as promised and the customer promised to pay in 2-3 months. He never did. My borrower paid me back at $10 a day (it took a long time). Do not think because customers are rich that they will pay. In fact rich people are the worst payers.
Yes you can cover yourself with documents, security etc but you could be looking at years of litigation at vast expense and you probably will never see the money.

By the way if you lend money in Cambodia and the borrower fails to pay then YOU not the borrower will be blamed because you asked for the money back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic