80 Injured in Garment Factory Truck Accident, Takeo

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

80 Injured in Garment Factory Truck Accident, Takeo

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Takeo): A factory truck overturned, causing 80 workers to get injured at 6 am this morning , on February 9, 2021, in Tropeang Krosang village, Bati district, Takeo.

It seems the accident was caised by careless driving. The truck slipped off the road, causing it to overturn. The truck driver, presumably unhurt, fled the scene.

The authorities reported that the 80 workers injured in the accident were taken to Phnom Penh hospital, Takeo hospital, and Bati hospital.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: 80 Injured in Garment Factory Truck Accident, Takeo

Post by siliconlife »

Yeah, well, I hate to say I told ya so... Lucky no one was killed.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Svay Rieng Province): On March 9, 2021, at 4:55 pm, in another terrible traffic accident, a truck overturned, injuring 50 garment workers in Thnah village, Bati commune, Bavet city, Svay Rieng province.
According to witnesses, before the incident, they saw a Hyundai truck, license plate Siem Reap 3A.0557, driving from north to south, carrying many factory workers standing up. Then suddenly, the truck steered off the road and overturned, throwing the workers on to the ground on the roadside, causing serious and minor injuries. Five people were seriously injured in the accident, and 45 others suffered from minor injuries.

Immediately after the accident, the police called an ambulance to take the victims to Ponleu Hospital in Bavet City for medical treatment.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Why pack these workers in the back of a truck like cattle, would it not be better to use busses, to give them some comfortable seating and mostly a little more safety.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Sorry for sounding like a broken record again, but this is what I've always been saying: there are far more dangerous things in people's daily lives here than Covid. This obsession everyone has had for over a year now is staggering, despite turning a seemingly blind eye to much more direct threats to people's health and lives. From kids painting cars and inhaling isocyanates on a daily basis, factory workers getting to work in overcrowded and unsuitable vehicles with poorly qualified drivers to teenagers going to school with no helmets on and so forth. Now locals are still so focused on Covid and forget the very real dangers (and dangerous actions) surrounding them. I still see idiots on a daily basis that are all wearing masks on a motorcycle but no helmets. You can't make this shit up.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:51 am Sorry for sounding like a broken record again, but this is what I've always been saying: there are far more dangerous things in people's daily lives here than Covid. This obsession everyone has had for over a year now is staggering, despite turning a seemingly blind eye to much more direct threats to people's health and lives. From kids painting cars and inhaling isocyanates on a daily basis, factory workers getting to work in overcrowded and unsuitable vehicles with poorly qualified drivers to teenagers going to school with no helmets on and so forth. Now locals are still so focused on Covid and forget the very real dangers (and dangerous actions) surrounding them. I still see idiots on a daily basis that are all wearing masks on a motorcycle but no helmets. You can't make this shit up.
Very true, see it all the time. They often use vans but pack them full of people, even leaving the rear door up so they can fabricate a bench with legs dangling out.
The risks taken in the factory are even worse and is a constant discussion.
This does not minimize the seriousness of COVID however as living with the after effects of the disease is an issue as much as fatality.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Apollo91881 wrote: This does not minimize the seriousness of COVID however as living with the after effects of the disease is an issue as much as fatality.
I think it actually does minimize the seriousness of Covid, or at the very least puts it's effects into local perspective. Let's see... In 2019, 15 factory workers died in traffic accidents and many more seriously injured. Are these deaths and long-term effects not worth mentioning/obsessing over?

Meanwhile, all 1000+ Covid-19 patients here have recovered. My worry is that if/when someone actually does die from it here, all shit will break loose. That person's death will be the center of all attention for months to come and will dominate our lives (for the worse), while everyone will conveniently forget about the thousands MORE who have died over the past year of suicide, domestic violence, traffic accidents, construction/workplace accidents, alcohol poisoning and so forth. No ringtone reminders about those issues...

I'm not saying Covid-19 is fake, or we shouldn't care, or no need for vaccines or whatever. My point is that statistics are clear and Cambodia has never been at super high risk, and simply because the media has grasped a story, we don't need to forget all the other, far more serious and potentially fatal issues which surround both us and Cambodians on a daily basis, the above story being a clear example.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:51 am Sorry for sounding like a broken record again, but this is what I've always been saying: there are far more dangerous things in people's daily lives here than Covid. This obsession everyone has had for over a year now is staggering, despite turning a seemingly blind eye to much more direct threats to people's health and lives. From kids painting cars and inhaling isocyanates on a daily basis, factory workers getting to work in overcrowded and unsuitable vehicles with poorly qualified drivers to teenagers going to school with no helmets on and so forth. Now locals are still so focused on Covid and forget the very real dangers (and dangerous actions) surrounding them. I still see idiots on a daily basis that are all wearing masks on a motorcycle but no helmets. You can't make this shit up.
People are being told to live in fear, die in debt, and above all else, keep buying shit they don't need with money they don't have.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:04 am Why pack these workers in the back of a truck like cattle, would it not be better to use busses, to give them some comfortable seating and mostly a little more safety.
$$$$
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

atst wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 am
AndyKK wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:04 am Why pack these workers in the back of a truck like cattle, would it not be better to use busses, to give them some comfortable seating and mostly a little more safety.
$$$$
Dat be right It all be about da greenbax. Whether it is substandard transportation to work, to an unsafe factory that daily chops fingers off. Then it's substandard transportation from work. All so some greedy fux can get rich off their bax. There oughtta be the equivalent of OSHA in Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic