US Man, MATTHEW DAVID SAMPLE, in Major Meth Bust in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

US Man, MATTHEW DAVID SAMPLE, in Major Meth Bust in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): Three suspects, two foreigners and a Cambodian, have been arrested by police of the anti-drug department, led by lieutenant Meak Bunthol, the director; the arrest was coordinated by Mr. Seth Vannak, the prosecutor of Phnom Penh court.

The first target was on February 5, 2021, at 7:15 am, at Chroy Changvar bridge near Bayon circle, Sangkat Chroy Changvar, Phnom Penh. The second target was on February 5, 2021, at 7:10 pm, at Depo market, Sangkat Psar Depo, Khan Toul Kok, Phnom Penh. And the third target was on February 6, 2021, at 8:30 am, on national road 5, Borey Piphup Thmie, Khan Dongkor, Phnom Penh.

The suspects were identified as Thoeun Tola, a 33-year-old Cambodian man, MATTHEW DAVID SAMPLE, a 30-year-old American man, and DAVID VINCENT, a 49-year-old Nigerian man. The police seized 1kg 014,08 grams of methamphetamine(ICE), and 300,60 grams of Nimetazepam (a benzodiazepine derivative).
The suspects' case was prepared for submitting to the court following the legal procedure.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: US Man, MATTHEW DAVID SAMPLE, in Major Meth Bust in Phnom Penh

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

It's easy for me to relate, but he gets no sympathy here. He crossed over to the dark side.
At least we stuck strictly to the Love drug 'back in the day' - and it was about real adventure and a naive belief that we were helping to change the world
- not trying to get rich quick fuck everybody else in the mind body and soul.

10 on the top from me.

(unless he is innocent of course)
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Would it be considered racist to suggest that one way to reduce the drug problem would be to stop issuing visas to Nigerians? Oh dear, I suppose it would . Pretend I said nothing.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

lagrange wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:29 pm Would it be considered racist to suggest that one way to reduce the drug problem would be to stop issuing visas to Nigerians? Oh dear, I suppose it would . Pretend I said nothing.
Its the ethnic Chinese mob who run the meth show in Cambodia. The others are just sent out to do the risky jobs.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

lagrange wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:29 pm Would it be considered racist to suggest that one way to reduce the drug problem would be to stop issuing visas to Nigerians? Oh dear, I suppose it would . Pretend I said nothing.
Chinese and Nigerians being caught for narcotics trafficking is everyday stuff. This is the first westerner to be caught doing likewise in quite some time. That's the interesting thing about this case.

Perhaps this has been posted already, but does anyone else find these figures for foreigner crimes a bit weird?
According to the 2020 Phnom Penh Municipal Police report, there are 16,305 foreigners in Phnom Penh, including 4,780 women, of 99 nationalities.

It said there were 85 crimes committed by foreigners last year and 198 arrests. Offences included one case of aggravated theft, one case of murder, two cases of rape, 12 cases of kidnapping, one case of intentional homicide, 24 cases of theft, 10 cases of fraud, 16 cases of intentional violence, three cases of illegal use of weapons, eight cases of drug trafficking, two cases of destruction of property of others, three cases of gambling, one case of arson and one case of posting explicit pictures online.
Eight cases of drug trafficking? I can remember more than that many being caught in a week. One case of murder? Da fuq. :roll:

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50811876/p ... on-crimes/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:17 am
Chinese and Nigerians being caught for narcotics trafficking is everyday stuff. This is the first westerner to be caught doing likewise in quite some time. That's the interesting thing about this case.

Perhaps this has been posted already, but does anyone else find these figures for foreigner crimes a bit weird?
According to the 2020 Phnom Penh Municipal Police report, there are 16,305 foreigners in Phnom Penh, including 4,780 women, of 99 nationalities.

It said there were 85 crimes committed by foreigners last year and 198 arrests. Offences included one case of aggravated theft, one case of murder, two cases of rape, 12 cases of kidnapping, one case of intentional homicide, 24 cases of theft, 10 cases of fraud, 16 cases of intentional violence, three cases of illegal use of weapons, eight cases of drug trafficking, two cases of destruction of property of others, three cases of gambling, one case of arson and one case of posting explicit pictures online.
Eight cases of drug trafficking? I can remember more than that many being caught in a week. One case of murder? Da fuq. :roll:
Yes it was posted on the Foreigner Crimes thread earlier: post472932.html#p472932

A lot of the foreigner crime might have taken place outside of Phnom Penh in the last year, (Kampot and Sihanoukville come to mind), but the figures do seem on the light side.
Could be interesting to check out what has been reported on CEO and compare the figures with these ones. Most of the foreigners will be Chinese or Taiwanese, some will be Vietnamese or Laotian, and a few Nigerians for fraud and drugs, but for sure there have not been so many westerners in Cambodian crime news in 2020. (There is one case of illegal use of weapons at least.)
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Looks like a great alien story, but all very confusing to me...
So this particular David Vincent, (one lost night on a dirty country road) was ALSO looking for a shortcut that he never found, but he got a sample ? Where are the invaders ? Could it be that the Chineses have the little finger straight when they drink their cup of "tea" ? I heard about a Mister "Tea" with lots of gold, is it the black guy ?
Oh wait, now Narcos on tv...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It would be good to see a actual brake down on the foreigners nationalities and on crimes that have been committed by such, being that the authorities have the records of the crimes committed. Because of one of the crimes for instance (kidnapping) is known to be of Chinese. But it seems all foreigners are tarred with the same brush. Or is this a un-racist way of going about it.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:41 am

It would be good to see a actual brake down on the foreigners nationalities and on crimes that have been committed by such, being that the authorities have the records of the crimes committed. Because of one of the crimes for instance (kidnapping) is known to be of Chinese. But it seems all foreigners are tarred with the same brush. Or is this a un-racist way of going about it.
Adding to this, I know one crime is too many, but how many crimes had been committed by Cambrian people in the same space of time.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
blueman.cambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blueman.cambodia »

Vietnam took discriminatory action on Nigerians some years ago as a result of increasing Nigerian "mafia" crimes occurring.
They became notorious for drug import and distribution, protection rackets and so forth. It was also the case that Nigerians were conspicuous in hanging out in internet shops to make use of the services to run swindles and scams on line.
Back in the day, it was possible for foreigners to obtain a 3 year multiple entry visa for Vietnam. The government took action specifically against Nigerians where they could only obtain a 6 month single entry visa only and renewal was prohibited for them, and only to the country of Nigeria. Unlike other countries, it was possible to extend a visa "in country" or do a border run and re-enter on the same day, but that option no longer was available to Nigerians. They had to leave the country and apply for a new visa via an embassy.
Might have been about 7 years ago, huge numbers of police travelled from Hanoi to join HCMC police to specifically target Nigerians in visa checks. I think the number quoted of Nigerians found in HCMC without a valid visa was somewhere in the vicinity of 400 individuals.

I don't think there is any antidiscrimination laws in either Cambodia or Vietnam. Am I correct?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic