A Look Inside The Iconic House of Vann Molyvann

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

A Look Inside The Iconic House of Vann Molyvann

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

by Darlyn Anne |
February 8, 2021

After being listed for sale, several news came out, locally and internationally, that Vann Molyvann’s home could become yet another generic skyscraper however Jericho believes otherwise

Not everyone is given a chance to visit an incredible house of one of the greatest architects in East Asia, Vann Molyvann. Luckily, IPS-Cambodia got this rare opportunity to enter and tour around Vann Molyvann’s house,

An architect’s own home; Vann Molyvann’s residence was said to be a window into his soul. Balancing modernity and Khmer elements, he was able to build a unique structure with the use of concrete, steel and glass, along with the use of beautiful wood elements to create such elegant, detailed interiors—a contemporary home designed to stand the test of time.

Drawing an analogy between his house and his iconic works, you would instantly observe that he’s fond of playing with lines and spaces, and as for Vann Molyvann’s home, Jericho described it as a “mysterious maze.”

“Personally, there’s a lot of potential and opportunities for Vann Molyvann’s house. On top of my mind is a museum. Vann Molyvann, being the man who built Cambodia…I think if they could make it as a museum, it would be a good representation of the country. Aside from that, there’s also an opportunity in preserving it as an architectural school, arts school, or just school in general.”

In the present, Vann Molyvann’s house is used as an office space. Back in the 1970s, during the Khmer Rouge, his home was also used as the municipal office. So if not an institution or museum, “it could be the best property for businesses and organizations. The location is very accessible as it is located in the city center,” Jericho said.

https://ips-cambodia.com/a-look-inside- ... irst-time/
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A Look Inside The Iconic House of Vann Molyvann

Post by John Bingham »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:33 pm Back in the 1970s, during the Khmer Rouge, his home was also used as the municipal office.
I hadn't heard about that before but it would make a good stopping-off point between S21 and the Chinese Embassy.
Apparently when Van Molyvann and his wife returned to Phnom Penh in 1991 and were given their house back,
his wife's skis were left untouched in a cupboard. I guess skis aren't much use around here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:03 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:33 pm Back in the 1970s, during the Khmer Rouge, his home was also used as the municipal office.
I hadn't heard about that before but it would make a good stopping-off point between S21 and the Chinese Embassy.
Apparently when Van Molyvann and his wife returned to Phnom Penh in 1991 and were given their house back,
his wife's skis were left untouched in a cupboard. I guess skis aren't much use around here.
Would they (KR soldiers) have even known what skis are and what they are for ? :?
Main thing is that they left the house standing.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Only problem regarding it becoming a school or museum is the asking price..
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Is there any reason that no one has bought this property?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic