Harry's Bar on Riverside specials

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Harry's Bar on Riverside specials

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I think the issue is the same group of people seeing the ads over and over again on a daily basis. IMO, the posts aren’t benefiting the business and they aren’t benefiting the forum users. You’ll be better off doing a small Facebook campaign, maybe even pay CEO to post an add to CEO followers. FB has more unique users I’d imagine so the benefit would be greater.

I actually considered crossing it off my list because of this thread, but at least it shows dedication and that’s usually a good sign for the quality of the establishment. So I’ll still plan to visit Harry’s
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:03 pm I think the issue is the same group of people seeing the ads over and over again on a daily basis. IMO, the posts aren’t benefiting the business and they aren’t benefiting the forum users. You’ll be better off doing a small Facebook campaign, maybe even pay CEO to post an add to CEO followers. FB has more unique users I’d imagine so the benefit would be greater.

I actually considered crossing it off my list because of this thread, but at least it shows dedication and that’s usually a good sign for the quality of the establishment. So I’ll still plan to visit Harry’s
So at the end of the day it will draw the attention of new users, but not turn off regular users. Right? So that's a plus for free.

[Edit] plus as in benefit
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The real mystery, to me anyway, is why do people who clearly aren't interested in "Harry's Bar on Riverside specials" visit this thread which is aptly titled "Harry's Bar on Riverside specials", only to complain how these posts annoy them?

It's not like the guy is spamming random threads with his ads, or that he starts new threads with misleading titles to lure people in. He's simply adding them to his existing thread. How difficult can it be to just fucking ignore this thread if you aren't interested?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There have in fact been a couple of minor events at Harry’s over the last couple of years, and if there was a new special or significant change, or a one off event, it might be well placed here. With the potential to be lost in the noise.
Maybe it’s not the people who clearly aren’t interested in Harry’s, but the people who are?

But hey. It’s been one of those weeks.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Alex wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:26 am The real mystery, to me anyway, is why do people who clearly aren't interested in "Harry's Bar on Riverside specials" visit this thread which is aptly titled "Harry's Bar on Riverside specials", only to complain how these posts annoy them?

It's not like the guy is spamming random threads with his ads, or that he starts new threads with misleading titles to lure people in. He's simply adding them to his existing thread. How difficult can it be to just fucking ignore this thread if you aren't interested?
I use the "active topics" feature so I always see Harry's at the top of the active topics list due to the daily bumps. I think some other users just jump to the section they prefer and don't see Harry's at the top every day? Did the same happen to you, you entered the thread because it is always at the top of "active" or you wanted to see the specials?

I admit, when I see a thread in my "active" list with unread posts I feel compelled to read it even if not interested in the topic. I am able to fight the urge sometimes, others I fail. Maybe I'm mental.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

On topic, does Harry's carry any craft beers? What beers do they have?
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

This blatant guerilla marketing will only be tolerated to a certain extent. Just immagine should half the threads be some kind of spamming..the mods would certainly react. Until recently it was just basta.binci (now banned)..now we have 3 or 4 users who clearly use this forum as marketing tool only (no useful information shared). Lets see what happens when that figure further grows.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:36 am There have in fact been a couple of minor events at Harry’s over the last couple of years, and if there was a new special or significant change, or a one off event, it might be well placed here. With the potential to be lost in the noise.
Maybe it’s not the people who clearly aren’t interested in Harry’s, but the people who are?

But hey. It’s been one of those weeks.
I’m in no way trying to tell someone how they should promote their business, but I personally think him posting every single day does not help the business, in fact hurts it, because individuals aren’t going to click on it every day because they are assuming it’s the same redundant postings. And if these individuals get disinterested they won’t click on it when something special is going on.

That’s why I try to avoid it unless I see someone other than the OP has posted something.

Then again I’ve never owned my own business so I probably don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about. 😀
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

truffledog wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm Groundhog day
:lol:

The problem is that his incessant spamming is in the Getting Your Fill thread and so it is always showing up on the latest post effectively precluding other posts from the latest post. Therefore one has to click on the Getting Your Fill thread to check for interesting posts.

I think one could start a dedicated thread along the lines of the Asinine Area entitled Rosscos Restaurant Ramblings. This would free up the Getting Your Fill from Harry's always hogging the last post position and allow notification of interesting getting your fill ideas posted by other contributors.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:45 am
Alex wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:26 am The real mystery, to me anyway, is why do people who clearly aren't interested in "Harry's Bar on Riverside specials" visit this thread which is aptly titled "Harry's Bar on Riverside specials", only to complain how these posts annoy them?

I use the "active topics" feature so I always see Harry's at the top of the active topics list due to the daily bumps. I think some other users just jump to the section they prefer and don't see Harry's at the top every day? Did the same happen to you, you entered the thread because it is always at the top of "active" or you wanted to see the specials?

I admit, when I see a thread in my "active" list with unread posts I feel compelled to read it even if not interested in the topic. I am able to fight the urge sometimes, others I fail. Maybe I'm mental.
I use "New posts", which is similar. I get a list of threads with new posts, I select those threads that interest me and open them in new tabs. There are always threads that don't interest me and I just skip them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic